GEMS DUBAI

KS4lady

GEMS DUBAI

Post by KS4lady »

What us Wellington international school Dubai like? Are the staff friendly? Pupils behavior good? Pay and living conditions good?

Any comments would be great!

Thanks!!
scribe

Post by scribe »

Nothing specific to offer - but for what it's worth - Wellington has an excellent reputation. Gems is a solid organization and is changing the stereotype regarding 'for profit' schools (I don't work for them, but I know many who do). The pay is good and you will have no more issues than at any school, be it for or non profit.
Before anyone chimes in something negative about life in the Middle East, let me assure you, Dubai offers a pleasant, ultra modern, diverse life style. Activities range from Friday morning organic farmer's market in the shadow of the Burj Khalifa to choosing which one of dozens of beaches to enjoy, or (for many) spending time at one of the malls. To each their own.
Most of the major road construction has been finished, although of course there are always improvements and additions to be made - but the traffic is smooth, something that will certainly surprise anyone who knew the city as a visitor in the past two decades. There is also a clean, efficient, and cheap metro system that travels the main corridor, cutting down on traffic.
In short, I would think a position at Wellington in Dubai definitely merits serious consideration.
KS4lady

Post by KS4lady »

Thanks so muck for all that information. You read so many bad comments and they scare the life out of you about moving to another country. Really nice to hear something positive!
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt teach/live there (unless it was a lot of money). GEMS has a very for profit corporate atmosphere and while its a very western city, its very expensive. They have all the same other problems and restrictions as any where else in the middle east, with prettier wrapping/packaging. About the only thing id agree with is that the metro is run very well. The kids all have a MAJOR sense of entitlement, and they and their parents expect top grades. Depending on your package you could lead a "nice" life but youll never be able to really indulge in the lifestyle there.
inman

Post by inman »

GEMS seem to have expanded quite a lot and very quickly. I haven't heard anything specific about the GEMS Wellington Academy, but I can tell you that the school is in a great location on the main road going through Dubai, so if the school are giving you accommodation even remotely close to the school then the chances are that it will be a quality place. I think the school only added the GEMS name to it very recently. Before GEMS, it was just Wellington Academy, which have a couple of other international schools that seem quite decent. It might be worth looking at them a bit to get some idea. Off memory, one of them is in Tianjin, north east China.

Salaries in Dubai might not be as high as some other areas in the Gulf, but I think a lot of that is because they don't have to be. A lot of people will happily accept a bit less money because they want to live in Dubai, which is understandable really. It's an exciting place and a top tourist destination, with all the facilities to cater for it.

Hope this helps.
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

any 2013 impressions about this school...in general Dubai Silicon Oasis, and Wellington Primary in particular?
aridion

Re: Not really

Post by aridion »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I wouldnt teach/live there (unless it was a lot of money). GEMS has a very for profit corporate atmosphere and while its a very western city, its very expensive. Depending on your package you could lead a "nice" life but youll never be able to really indulge in the lifestyle there.[/quote]

For a single guy who doesn't go extravagant on shopping and other pursuits but enjoys the odd meal out and meet up with some friends, how much would I be able to save from a salary of 12,000 AED per month?
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

i don't know about Dubai, but i have a friend in Abu Dhabi and him and his wife told me that the expenses monthly....for them are around 2000dirhams and in here are food: aprox 1000, tel and internet about 300 dirhams and other things like...400...he told me that maximum, around 2000...the rest...poket money that you cand spend or save according to your wishes...
aridion

Post by aridion »

[quote="alecsmario"]i don't know about Dubai, but i have a friend in Abu Dhabi and him and his wife told me that the expenses monthly....for them are around 2000dirhams and in here are food: aprox 1000, tel and internet about 300 dirhams and other things like...400...he told me that maximum, around 2000...the rest...poket money that you cand spend or save according to your wishes...[/quote]

Better than I expected. I was under the impression that prices were trumped up in these places.
Kby

Post by Kby »

[quote="aridion"][quote="alecsmario"]i don't know about Dubai, but i have a friend in Abu Dhabi and him and his wife told me that the expenses monthly....for them are around 2000dirhams and in here are food: aprox 1000, tel and internet about 300 dirhams and other things like...400...he told me that maximum, around 2000...the rest...poket money that you cand spend or save according to your wishes...[/quote]

Better than I expected. I was under the impression that prices were trumped up in these places.[/quote]

This expense breakdown is very accurate. The UAE is not expensive like everyone thinks, and you can enjoy a great quality of life.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

I would say that one needs around 1500 Dhs per week to live well in Dubai. This would include food shopping, some meals out and a few drinks with friends.
chuck

Dubai

Post by chuck »

I would agree with 1500AED/week. To spend less, one would have to basically not go out at all. If saving more is a concern, try private tutoring at 200AED/hr. Then you would be able to save much more.