Re: BVIS Ho Chi Minh City & BIS Group in general

MC1977

Re: BVIS Ho Chi Minh City & BIS Group in general

Post by MC1977 »

Could anyone please give me any information on the above school or the group as an employer in general?
MC1977

Post by MC1977 »

Anyone?
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

BVIS is a bilingual school in district 7 (newer part of town). In primary the school runs English and Vietnamese curricula at the same time (half day for each). In secondary, the plan is to offer CIE IGCSE and A Level courses. The school is quite new (first year) and teachers seem to like it. The owner is building a school in Hanoi, too.

BIS in general is the most respected school in Saigon. Whether it's because of their programs or IB scores, who knows...they are located literally in the center of Thao Dien (expat ghetto) and so have a steady intake of English speaking westerners, which obviously helps. Although they continue to be primarily Vietnamese and very Asian, they are one of the few 'true' international schools in town with a healthy mix of pretty much everything.

BIS is very British and the head prefers to hire teachers fresh off the boat. They would even prefer to hire inexperienced first year teachers ahead of very experienced IB international school educators. Their IBDP Coordinator complains at having too many eager but inexperienced people in need of training leading the charge. It's a bit of a strange hiring strategy considering that the school is trying to become a world class institution.

Either way, it's considered a good school in Asia by teachers and admin alike.
MC1977

Post by MC1977 »

Thank you for your reply. I'm intrigued about the dual language approach in the primary school; has anyone had any experience of such curriculum?

Thanks

MC1977
aridion

Post by aridion »

Any more info on BVIS? I have an interview with them next week. How does the teaching hours work out if they have a dual curriculum?