Khazakstan: Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools

PsyGuy

Ugh

Post by PsyGuy »

If they want a Federal CBK (meaning FBI) start NOW, that takes 6 weeks or longer to get back. You also have to make arrangements to have your fingerprints taken. I would clarify if a local police or state CBK would be acceptable, local is a day or two. State would be a couple weeks
bluesealkz

Post by bluesealkz »

All of the schools and all of the locations have their issues, but I believe everyone in Semey is renewing their contract for the next year. Like the rest of the regional areas, it is a bit remote--trains take forever and flights are rare. I would ask for clarification about the clearance they want, since I can't say for sure either.

As for tickets, you buy it and then they reimburse you. Most of our reimbursements have been fairly quick, but you won't have a local bank account when you arrive and it takes time to set those up (lots of paperwork, then waiting for your actual bank card to get sent from Almaty... then more paperwork, etc). So you'll be waiting until September to get reimbursed for the flight, I'd bet. Money will be tight for the first month, unless you have some savings. They had big problems with that last year, so we're hoping that management has learned from the experience. On the plus side, cost of living is rather low by western standards, so you can get by rather comfortably without much money.

If the price is too much, try leaving from a different airport or getting a ticket for a day earlier or later, if possible. We've all seen some huge price drops and increases depending on when you leave and where.
kazpat

Post by kazpat »

Just a heads up on flights. Since the customs union with Belarus / Russia and Kazakhstan, flights between Russia and KZ are considered "semi-domestic" and a transit visa may be required. This is at least what I was told the last time I flew through Russia and I got held up in Domodedevo, they let me continue on but said that I should have had a visa. There is conflicting info on the net and whether or not they let you pass can possibly depend on the mood of the border guards in Moscow on a given day. Post customs union I started arriving at a different terminal when flying through Russia to/from KZ. Normally if you are staying for less than 24 hrs and not changing airports you do not need a visa.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I'm going to work at an international school in the States. From the point of view of adventure, NIS wins but I have bills to pay and they still haven't given me a solid offer. Its conditional on reference check and these references are forms that previous employers need to fill out.

Why can't they just make some phone call? It seems new schools always want to do things just a little different.
Chalkface

Post by Chalkface »

My passport is a few months shy of being valid for 2 years, which is a prerequisite to get a work visa to Kazakhstan. Unfortunately, the waiting list to get an appointment to renew my passport renewed in London is 3 months. After that is another month to process the passport. I have been for the appointment, but as I will only have a new passport in my hand by the end of June or early July, I feel it is cutting it a bit close in case something goes wrong. I have decided to withdraw my application for this academic year but would seriously consider reapplying in 2013-2014 as the package (if transparent) is hard to beat.
PsyGuy

Really

Post by PsyGuy »

They dont have a special procedure for those who need expedited passport service? In the states you can make an appointment at one of the regional passport acceptance facilities and get your passport the same day.
Chalkface

Post by Chalkface »

I can get a temporary passport, while I wait for my actual passport to be processed, but this does not help with regards to getting a work visa to Kazakhstan.
bluesealkz

Post by bluesealkz »

Yeah, expect visa problems. Between the managing company that oversees all the schools and KZ's ministry of foreign affairs, there's plenty of ways things could go wrong.

You'll probably have to make a fuss to get it done. That's basically how things work here.
DLMorgan

Post by DLMorgan »

I have also been offered / accepted a job in Semey.

I've talked to someone already there via another site. His take, in a nutshell, is..

The city is run down and dirty, far from anywhere, unreliable utility supplies, few facilities. The place is seriously cold in the winter requiring top quality winter weather gear.

The school, disorganised, lots of changes of schedule, lots of wasted time. The students, though, are great.

The 'package', as they say though he was under the impression that mid school break was teacher break, not just student break which I would say is clearly not teacher break from my version of a contract.

I'm still going. It's all an adventure and anything can be endured for a year (especially for that kind of pay).

Would love to hear back with any further info or anyone else who is going there too.
homeandaway

Salary at NIS

Post by homeandaway »

I notice a couple of people are saying that the money is really good at NIS because it is $54000 a year plus housing and utilities. actually, from what I have been told, it is not. I know where people are getting the $54000 from because it says on the Search database that the pay is $60000 a year with 10% tax and then it shows further down that housing and utilities are covered, and given a value of $1100 a month. it is actually $60000 altogether, including housing. someone I know who was successful in getting a position for next year said they were quoted $4000 a month with 10% tax to come out. so that brings it down to just over $43000 a year and not 54K. still a pretty good salary with housing and utilities covered and good chance to work at a new school. I don't think it was done to mislead, just that some schools enter their details on the Search forms differently at times.
PsyGuy

Sorry??

Post by PsyGuy »

Excuse me but what do you mean by "some schools enter their details on the Search forms differently at times."???

The form is basically a bunch of empty boxes that schools fill out entirely on their own. The only reason any value in that salary box is there, is because the person at the school filling out the form put it there. So if the salary is wrong its for one of two reason: either 1) Its an honest error and mistake, in which case the school should be quick to fix it when they find out, or 2) They are trying to mislead you. there really is no other viable explanation. what other "possible' reason could they have for reporting their salary as anything but what it is? Its either a mistake or its a lie...
kazpat

Post by kazpat »

Almaty or Astana = 4000 USD a month
Regional School (Semey, Taldykorgan, Uralsk, Kokshetau etc) = 5000 USD a month
there is a 1000 USD bonus for working in one of the smaller cities, maybe that is why someone was quoted the 4000 a month?
PsyGuy

Fair Enough

Post by PsyGuy »

Fair enough, so the "conveniently" quoted the higher salary in the salary box. There are still plenty of places/spaces for a school to clarify what their salary range and stipends really are. They are hiding instead of disclosing their true and accurate compensation, and in so doing are encouraging the ruse that they pay more then they do in all cases?
Texas

Work Visa for Kazakhstan

Post by Texas »

Was offered a job at a school in Kazakhstan, this was in May. Would anyone know how long it takes to get a Work Visa? I have been told that I should have something in July but am not too sure how long it will take once I get the offer letter from the MFA office. I have a contract with a start date of late August.

Anything I should bring, clothing. I am from Texas and am not used to the cold. I am looking forward to all that Kazakhstan has to offer. Anything that I need to know about this country as well?
kazpat

Post by kazpat »

For my first KZ work visa I dealt with the consulate in New York and they got it back to me in 3 days. Being from Texas you will send your documents to the embassy in DC I think (they divide up the USA regionally for visa services) but it probably wont take more than a week.