Mexico City

liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I did a five year stint in CA/SA and when I arrived I was a four time "D" student in Spanish in HS/uni. I was a little freaked out about my lack of an ability to learn Spanish. The first year I resisted, but picked some up. By the fifth year I could read near fluency and write very well. My oral is decent, but my listening is very weak. I will say when I started to learn my experience was amplified by 1000. Latins are extremely friendly and when you can form relationships in Spanish the doors fly open.

I highly recommend someone going to Latin America if they are intrigued. It was the perfect place for me to jump into the game. I would return in a second, but the money is not that great, even you can save tons in LA. I'm in Asia and its a great place to live as the its very calm compared to LA. But socially, naturally and the ability to assimiliate (at least for me) with the local culture is no where on the same level as LA.
bostonfan19831

Driving/car insurance

Post by bostonfan19831 »

Does anybody have any insight regarding the cost of car insurance in Mexico City? Or any other insight regarding having a car in Mexico City i.e. driving restrictions...etc etc etc...

Thank You
pyp teacher

The school itself

Post by pyp teacher »

I am considering working here, but also considering other options. Is this a school with a good reputation in Latin America?

What is Mexico City like for single females?
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

*BUMP*

Bostonfan19831

Where are you in your preparations in your move to MC?

I also am trying to get some more info on teaching in the city.
bostonfan19831

Post by bostonfan19831 »

---HoraceMann---

My preparations? I have started to learn basic spanish but my feeling is that I will learn mostly down there in Mexico City. I am in the process of saving some money just for having a little extra to assist me in settling in. So yeah that's really where I stand. Along with picking up extra hours of overtime because initially I won't be able to have a part time job. I will be making good money but part of me always has enjoyed working two jobs. I think it assists in being balanced.

Good Luck... What school will you be teaching at?
amarkus

Hello!

Post by amarkus »

Moving to Mexico on Sunday to work at ASF as well, wanted to recommend a book to you all about the city, even though it's only days away. The book is a quick read as it is well written, and has provided us with a lot of insight from the perspective of an expat. The book is called First Stop in the New World by David Lida. The author also has an excellent blog about the city, just google his name, the blog has pictures and a lot of insight. I'll be bringing the book with me, so if you don't happen to have the time to get it and read it by then, you could certainly borrow it! Best of luck and safe travels!
-Angela