Bahrain ?? Anyone know about....

missy

Bahrain ?? Anyone know about....

Post by missy »

What it is like compared to Oman or the UAE ?

What is the cost of living like ?

Are there any natural beaches left ?

What is a decent salary range ?
Last edited by missy on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
missy

Post by missy »

*Bump

Anyone hear of Riffa neighborhood (20 minutes from Manama) ?

Still looking for any updated info. on this forum
regarding Bahrain.

Thanks.
travelert

Bahrain

Post by travelert »

[b]Hi Missy,
I accepted a job in Bahrain and plan on being there in August. We can chat if you'd like. I am a bit uneasy with all of the protesting going on this past week but still plan to go there...at this time.[/b][/b]
missy

Post by missy »

Hi travelrt,

I am also nervous about the protesting going on this past week.
Please do email me at :

oasistribe@gmail.com

so we can chat.

:D
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

so ...in the end ...how is life in Bahrain ? :)
thanks
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

I don't live or work in Bahrain, but I do go there frequently. I live in KSA, and expats (and Saudis) frequently head across the causeway to go to Bahrain on weekends. We all love the "freedom" in Bahrain, but again, we're coming from a more restrictive country. If Bahrain is your first experience in the Middle East, you may find it restrictive.

Yes, there are beaches, some of which seem very nice. They're not the best beaches in the world, but they're sufficient. There are tons of bars and restaurants in Bahrain, and there's a pretty active nightlife. There are also plenty of malls, sports opportunity, clubs/activities, and special events (comedians, concerts, theater, arts). You can wear normal clothes (while still being respectful), drink, and socialize/date. Yes, there is still a strong Islamic influence, but Bahrain is a relatively liberal area for the region.

Unfortunately I'm not famililar with the Riffa area. I looked at a map, and that's further south than I usually go when I'm there. Bahrain is a tiny country, though, so everywhere is relatively close.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the protests. Of course there is always a chance of something happening, just like there is almost anywhere. But for the most part, if you stay out of it and use common sense, you'll be fine. The fighting is not targeting westerners at this time. What we read on the news seems to be far worse than what we see when we're actually in Bahrain. Expats still travel to Bahrain every single week, and the recent protesting hasn't stopped people from crossing the border. My husband and I just went last weekend and life seemed normal. We noticed a few more police cars around, but that's it. There are certain political "hot spots" that the embassy tells its employees to avoid, but the touristy/shopping/dining areas are mostly fine right now.

If you have any other specific questions, I will try my best to answer. :-)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

They have pork products available in the non-muslim section of Al Jazirah Supermarkets. They have a liquore store, bars, Trader Vics, nightclubs, shady ladies, and more! Super shopping malls, cinemas, a bit of culture thrown in with the museum and the Pearl Fort. Beaches are small, and Bahrain is an easy country to get around in but you won't be travelling to the Shiite towns too much.

As for Riffa, it is an expat community (Riffa Views) with a nice golf course, that is relatively new (in the last 5-6 years). School seems decent, but I have never been or worked there.

I had some students from Saudi go to school in Bahrain and they seemed to like it ok.

Personally, haven't been to Bahrain in almost a year, but enjoyed going. If you end up there, make a trip to Ric's Country Kitchen - great restaurant for expats :-)