Harare International school ,Zimbabwe

belle

Harare International school ,Zimbabwe

Post by belle »

Has anyone worked at this school? The review sounds too good to be true. Maybe I am just a pessimist or too wary. My first attempts at international applying. Could use some honest advise .
bill

Post by bill »

I have never worked there but I have 'met' the director: he was the key note speaker at the Association of International Schools in Africa conference last year. What he was presenting was inspiring. He seemed a nice, genuine, guy to me.
summer

Post by summer »

I heard Paul Poore speak at a summer PYP workshop last year. Seemed a good guy, not an idealist more a realist. He also was awarded Superintendent of the Year by AAIE so there must be many out there that feel he has what it takes!
wherenext

Post by wherenext »

The job descriptions sound good! But (there's always a but...) a colleague who's been teaching in Africa recently said that people have to go to Zambia for basic grossery shopping!
Anyone has an update on living conditions there? (It's not that grossery shopping is THAT important, but it tells about the economic condition of the country!)
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

Okay, I'll be tacky.

What is "grossery shopping?" Is that like, shopping for really disgusting food? Or REALLY shopping for bulk items? Or maybe shopping for bulk amounts of really disgusting food?
wherenext

Post by wherenext »

ouaf ouaf! Of course I ment grocery (hope it's the right spelling this time)
Now, I don't know how your esl students would take that kind of humour! (some of us around here are not native speakers!)
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

That is where the difference between verbal and non-verbal communication comes in. Had we been face-to-face, I could have made it clear I was poking fun (gently, I hope) and not trying to humiliate.

It does however, touch on an increasing controversy here in the states, which is teachers who cannot, or do not, model what we want the students to do.

My husband and I are stateside this year, and we work in a high-minority school and district. (70% Hispanic, 30% African-American for my school; I'm not sure about the district.) I would classify 90% of our population as ESL. That is because if you respond to "Did she leave? She forgot her sweater." with "She gone, but she won't be needing it." then in my opinion you have the same issues as an ESL student.

We are receiving instruction in the SIOP model, which is Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol. One thing being stressed is the necessity of teachers modeling academic English. But many of our teachers do not. My question is, how in the heck are we going to teach students it's not "them rocks" but "those rocks" if we dont' model it? If we say "She don't" instead of "she doesn't."? A friend told me on Wednesday of the her son's band director, who put "Drum Core" on his drum corps simply because he preferred the misspelling.

As teachers, we have an obligation to use correct, academic English if we are going to teach in it.

So while your bobble was amusing, it also touched on an issue to which I am rather sensitive.

I will now get off my soap box.
wherenext

Post by wherenext »

Thanks for the long explanation and one last comment about this:
For one, I am not teaching English and am not expected to address my students in that language. For two, not all international schools have Engligh as language of instruction. For three and more importantlty: this is a forum where teachers address teachers, looking for info on (or is it about?) schools, not on correct English. If so, I would have chosen another subject for my message.

So, does any one has some anything to say about living in Zimbabwe? (because really, that's what matters right now!)
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Anyone have any up-to-date info about the school? I have read the reviews on the other side of this website. Just curious if anyone has something helpful to add.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Interviewed with them at a fair this year. Seems like a place heading in the right direction; the economics of the currency have been straightened out a bit (now a US dollar economy), and the school is doing well. I would have gone there had they offered me a job - the housing looked incredible!
writer

Post by writer »

Zimbabwe is in constant turmoil. A bit of research can fill you in on the political situation there. To be honest, it is kind of shocking that the original poster seems to have no knowledge of the situation. I am not sure why anyone would want to work there at this point in time.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I am aware of the political situation and have done my research. Years back, I spent time in the region and have been itching to get back. I have a friend (not at the school) who has been living and working in Harare for about a month. So far, she has a lot of good things to say. I am hearing more positive than negative things about the school as well. Thanks for the input.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have black Zimbabwean friends and am well aware of what is happening in Zimbabwe. I would have accepted an offer. The school seems to be a quality school and the grounds and housing look stunning.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I have a friend and spouse who is leaving after two years. They had a good experience there, but their plan was to do a short stint overseas before returning to North America. They recommended the place to others.