Asia Pacific International School

rumour5182

Asia Pacific International School

Post by rumour5182 »

Hi everyone,

I've been reading a LOT on here, and it's been super helpful. Thanks! :) I was just contacted and asked to interview with Asia Pacific International in Seoul tomorrow, and I'm wondering if any of you have worked there recently or know anything specific about the school. The reviews on this site are all really positive, and I like what I've read on the school's site as well, but nothing is mentioned in relation to benefits. Anyone have any additional info?

I'm excited, but I'm nervous too -- I'd really been wanting to get into a school in Western or Eastern Europe, but decided in the last week or so to broaden the hunt to include most of Asia, so I haven't quite gotten used to the idea.

One more question: I have a non-teaching spouse who's a writer/editor. Any knowledge about how easy it would be for him to get a work visa or work permit in South Korea? He's happy to help out at the school too, but we don't know if the school will be keen on that.

Thanks for all your help!
PsyGuy

Outlook

Post by PsyGuy »

Schools usually save a few primary positions for trailing spouses of hard to find or in demand fields. Its also common for a school to "create" a support position for a trailing spouse (often part time).

A school is not going to sponsor a work permit or Visa for a trailing spouse that doesnt work for them. That doesnt happen. They will not help secure a business visa either. The reasoning is two fold. First, a school puts themselves on the line for an employee they sponsor, and without direct supervision they have little control or knowledge over what that individual does. Second, its illegal, and would quickly be discovered, when the school wasnt forwarding taxes on that individual.

Thats not to say your spouse cant "work freelance" they just have to do it in the "grey" area of the law. A dependent visa typically prohibits "employment" but doesnt specifically prohibit activity that generates income. Its really a technical area that is very country dependent. Many teachers supplement their income with outside tutoring and other activities that even if prohibited in their employment contract arent exactly illegal, and even if they are it happens all the time.
figure8

Post by figure8 »

Wanted to offer a different perspective:

At my last school my spouse was 'trailing' and the school processed and paid for his visa. He had legal residency and a few months in was offered a job at the school. The important thing to note is that his visa was provided automatically, not because he was hired by the school as well. Our next destination - South East Asia - is currently processing both our visas. He may or may not work at the school, but either way his visa is on them :)
rumour5182

Post by rumour5182 »

[quote="figure8"]Wanted to offer a different perspective:

At my last school my spouse was 'trailing' and the school processed and paid for his visa. He had legal residency and a few months in was offered a job at the school. The important thing to note is that his visa was provided automatically, not because he was hired by the school as well. Our next destination - South East Asia - is currently processing both our visas. He may or may not work at the school, but either way his visa is on them :)[/quote]

Thanks figure8. We know there are some countries (and schools) where that's a more viable option. He's a writer/editor and hopes to do some freelance work, which puts sponsorship into a gray area if he can't secure it from the school.

Still hoping that someone can give me some information about this school. Thanks!
figure8

Post by figure8 »

That's the big difference..if he is set on doing his writing legally he may want to try and do freelance work with publications from back home initially.
I knew a couple whom one was a translator/writer and she was given a residency permit, but not a legal work permit. So most of work was done via skype and emails with her home country and Europe.

Sorry can't help you with info about Asia Pacific - but I have heard it's a good school.. good luck!
PsyGuy

Differences

Post by PsyGuy »

Getting a "dependents visa" to enter the country for a spouse is very different from securing a "work visa" or permit that allows them to be employed. Visas do not come in one size covers all.
lilmsteacher

asia pacific

Post by lilmsteacher »

hey rumour, APIS is a great little school. I worked there a couple of years ago. Decent savings, sign on bonus, mid year bonus, money at the end of your contract and really great technology! they will take really good care sorting out your visa etc. Not sure about the work permit for your spouse but I do know, other non teaching spouses do help out at the school from time to time so that is an option. let me know if you need to know more ... good luck and keep us posted!
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Be aware the South Korea has very strict laws about employment. For example your visa only allows you to work for the school. You cannot pick up additional hours tutoring for example. That would be a breach of your visa. S Korea takes these laws quite seriously if anyone is caught teaching illegally they will ship you & your partner out of the country. I have even heard of immigration police poaching for tutors and then sending people packing if caught.
rumour5182

Re: asia pacific

Post by rumour5182 »

Thanks for that info, lilmsteacher. It's always good to hear confirmation of the reviews, and to know I'm not crazy for thinking it looks like a pretty good school to start an international career in. Unfortunately, I don't think I've gotten the job -- my interview was early last week, and I was told a decision would be made in a few days. It's now been almost a full week, so I'm guessing an offer was made to someone else and I won't be notified until they're sure that person has accepted. I'm disappointed, for sure, but I'll keep looking until (hopefully) the right one sticks!

Thanks again. :)