International School Singapore- School Culture?

Lulu

International School Singapore- School Culture?

Post by Lulu »

Hey,
What is the Intl School of Singapore like to work for. I see complaints about small things like "old building" and resources as well as lower pay for apartments...which I hear is not uncommon in Singapore to have to use your salary to pay for part of houseing...

I am more interested to know what it is like to work at ISS. School Culture etc...
About how much can a frugal person save after taxes and expenses on the ISS salary?
Last edited by Lulu on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

I get the feeling you have an offer and you know you want to say no, and your really looking for some kind of rational so that you can say yes?

If so, let me suggest that this is how those reviews here on ISR get so long, you see it coming and you just hope its not going to hit you, and when it eventually does, your going to have yourself to blame for a lot of it....

In my experience by the time an educator gets to be an admin, they dont change. Their personality is about as close to being inscribed in stone as you can get. They might learn how to regulate their behavior, but who they are is still inside. They may not burst out in front of you, but that just means they have learned how to stab you in the back more effectively.
Lulu

etc

Post by Lulu »

no, no offer. I am actually looking for a positive way around this to try to deal with these sorts of situations and hope maybe the reviews are either wrong or maybe she might be OK...or I can find a way to avoid run-ins and focus on the job...etc
Nomadic Teacher

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

Avoid it.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

ISS has good teachers but bad management from people who are out of touch with reality and education. Teachers who stay there long enough tend to get into a rut and accept the very low standards.

For a school that charges as much as UWC they have no resources and no money to buy resources.

Morale is low and ISS is just constantly in a state of mediocrity and flux.

Doesn't help that their two campuses are leased from the government and they never know when the lease will run out. Rumours are that high school campus lease is up next year and government is taking it back.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Oh, you mention "she", you may be referring to principal of ES there?

She's a good person with a good heart but, again, her hands are tied in most cases when trying to implement change.

Maybe you mean MS Principal? Been there a long time so has accepted mediocrity and is part of the furniture.