Taiwan?

Parrot Head

Taiwan?

Post by Parrot Head »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the international school scene, and I have had some interest from a school in southern Taiwan. I wanted to ask if anyone knows what it's like there. The school is located in Kaohsiung. It's an for-profit IB school. I'd love to break into the IB system, but I've heard some negative things about for-profit schools. I've got a trailing husband and a preschool age child that would be following me.

Specifically, I wanted to ask what it's like in Kaohsiung. Taiwan was completely off my radar until I talked with this school, and I don't really feel knowledgeable enough about it to make an informed decision. Is it a good place to live? Is it a good place to raise a child? What is the cost of living like? I have a million questions, but I'll leave it at that for now. If you have anything to add that I haven't thought to ask, please include it! Thank you.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Taiwan is an excellent place to live. It is clean, its cheap, the people are friendly, the food is tasty and there is a great network of expats (mostly English teachers).
I lived in Taipei before but I've been to Kaohsiung. Its a pleasant seaside side city. It was always considered dirtier than Taipei (more industrial) but, its far less dirty than many large Asian cities. The south of Taiwan has some beautiful and relatively untouched travel options.
One of the best things about Taiwan is its not on some tourists or backpackers radar. Meaning people don't try and take advantage of you because you are foreign. Westerners are also well respected in Taiwan, particularly teachers. The students have an excellent work ethic ( most go to additional school or private classes well into the evening).
The school your looking at I think is KAS? I've heard mixed things about the school, most of the negative stem from it being for profit. It would be a fine starter school and certainly a good step into the world of IB. I'm not sure how well the compensation is for a family of three but provided your trailing husband has a degree he can legally work teaching English.
Taiwan is very modern and surprisingly cheap so if your husband could contribute a little to your income you could live quite nicely!
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Kaoshiung is great, it has really cleaned up over the years and it's easy living.

KAS has made great strides over the past few years and is the place to work at in Kaoshiung. KAS is also non-profit so not sure where that info came from.

I doubt the poster is referring to KAS, but most likely I-SHOU.

I-SHOU follows a Taiwanese calender and doesn't have an X-mas break. They get a few weeks off at Chinese New Years, but end up working 200 and something days. That is the big complaint there.
taiwanteacher

Post by taiwanteacher »

I am currently teaching in southern Taiwan....about an hour from Kaohsuing. I've been to Kaohsuing a couple of times, and liked what I saw, but I'm not an expert. I wouldn't hesitate to move there.
In general, I'm really pleased with my decision to come to Taiwan....the Taiwanese I have met are friendly, and most are patient with my bad but getting slightly better Chinese (it's not necessary to survive, but a little Chinese will open some doors here). Cost of living is low....if you eat a little non-descript sidewalk cafe, you can get a fair amount of food for $3US or less. You can also get fancy schmancy food that costs much more. It's very safe here. Public transportation works well. Culture and history are facsinating. I can see staying for years. I'm definitely getting the broader world-view and exposure to other ways of thinking---which were why I entered international teaching to begin with. I'm also saving some $$. If you end up coming (or if you have more questions), drop me a line at dysodia at gmail.
Parrot Head

Post by Parrot Head »

Well, I didn't get the job, but thanks for the information.