Phorms Germany - again

centennial95

Phorms Germany - again

Post by centennial95 »

Some time ago somebody on this forum asked about Phorms schools in Germany. I had an interview with them almost 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet, even after inquiring about the status of my interview. I know they have a somewhat different process, but I was wondering if anybody has had similar experiences with them. Do I keep waiting for a response? Do I get up really early one day and give them a call? Or do I just write them off...
PsyGuy

Me

Post by PsyGuy »

I would write them off, but that's me.
Chou2270

They are kind of slow in replying back to you

Post by Chou2270 »

Hi:

I was interviewed by them last year, and went through three interviews. One at the job fair, one with the HR, and finally with the school director at Munich. the entire process took two months. Then, at the end, they hired someone else.

It's hard to say !
fragglerock

Post by fragglerock »

Did you ever hear back from them centennial? My friend is in the same position!
centennial95

Post by centennial95 »

I did... I emailed and no response. So I called and left a message and got a thanks but no thanks email in response the next day. I may be too pushy - but I really want to know where I stand...
fragglerock

Post by fragglerock »

Thanks for the response. I'll pass the wisdom on. They do seem to take their time deciding... Best of luck with your search!
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

A lot of schools just dont let unsuccessful candidates know they were rejected. I can understand putting together a mass email can be difficult, and responding individually to every response would almost be a full time job. Generally when I see the vacancy removed I take that to mean the positions no longer available.
fragglerock

Post by fragglerock »

Even after two interviews and saying they'll be in touch as soon as a decision is made? Seems a bit off... Fair enough after just an application though. We're both new to international teaching but still.
PsyGuy

Hope Im wrong

Post by PsyGuy »

I hope Im wrong, but my experience has been if they want you, they act like they want you.
seashell

Post by seashell »

Lots of the smaller international schools in Germany aren't really clued into the whole "international scene" yet. They like to wait till they have the exact numbers before they hire staff and as these schools are growing they often don't know what those numbers are until quite late in the year.

They don't seem to understand that international teachers are a) waiting on them to make their decisions and b) most of the hiring is done between November-February. Even though I plan on returning to my school this next year I still don't have a contract yet (and yes I don't like it, but I like my job so fingers crossed that everything works out). When I was initially hired in 2010 I was waiting on a few schools other schools in Germany and one of them got back to me in June asking if I was still interested...

I don't know much about Phorms, but based on their website they seem very German with the bilingual education and half of their staff being German nationals. I would be very curious about their German staff though. German teachers can easily become Beamters, which means lifetime government employment at a high pay with a higher pension. There is no reason a well trained German teacher wouldn't go this route.
centennial95

Post by centennial95 »

Seashell, do you have a lot of Beamte at your school? It's not the usual, as Beamte can only take a leave of absence from their "Beamten-Status" for a maximum of 5 years without losing that status (which they would have to do to work anywhere but a regular public school). More and more states are moving away from granting teachers the status anyways, so that should not be a huge concern.
Phorms, by the way, made it clear in their interview that they are more of a bilingual school rather than an international school. So you are definitely right what that is concerned...
seashell

Post by seashell »

My school is an international school so we don't have any beamter, we've had difficulty getting certified German teachers due to this fact. Our pay and benefits just can't compete with the local system.

My good friend just got beamter status a few months ago and all her friends who are doing teaching studies are also getting it. I think the government is saying they are moving away from it, but it may not actually be the case. NRW has especially strong teacher representatives in the government though so that may not reflect what is happening in the rest of the country.