Beijing information

PsyGuy

YES

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, that's more then enough, you should live pretty well on that. It's not the BEST salary you could get but it's pretty high, and your would find it very unlikely to do much better.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Beijing information

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="krdking"]I have an offer in-hand for 400,000RMB plus housing. Is this enough?
Thanks![/quote]

Yes, that's a very good package (and realistically the top starting point you will get as a teacher in Beijing).
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Is that net of taxes? Must be one of the top 2 or 3 schools in Beijing....
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="krdking"][quote="gr8teach"]Is that net of taxes? Must be one of the top 2 or 3 schools in Beijing....[/quote]

That's before taxes. It's just over 300,000 after tax.[/quote]

That is still about as good as you are going to get as an entry point salary at any school in Beijing (except maybe as an administrator). You should be able to save half of your net every month, plus gratuity at the end of the year (depending on the school).
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Wrldtrvlr,

318K net (after taxes). Question I have is whether 12,400CNY is enough for a plane ticket to the States. (This is part of the package for Dulwich Beijing). Also, with a family of 4, what do you think? Enough? Have to accept by this week....others can chime in as well if you have any insights into Dulwich.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ChoirGuy"]Hi Wrldtrvlr,

318K net (after taxes). Question I have is whether 12,400CNY is enough for a plane ticket to the States. (This is part of the package for Dulwich Beijing). Also, with a family of 4, what do you think? Enough? Have to accept by this week....others can chime in as well if you have any insights into Dulwich.[/quote]

The flight money is more than adequate if it's per person (and even for two people).

318K net is 26.5K per month which is good and should let you live well and save a bit (if you don't have significant out of country bills).

As for DCB, I haven't really heard anything bad. Seems a fine school with nice campus, lots of activities/sports etc for your children, and everything else a good school would have. I'll pm you on the other board with the name of someone you should contact who joined them last year in the secondary and should be a good source of accurate intel.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks Wrldtrvlr...very close to taking the job...very close....hahahaha
PsyGuy

Take it

Post by PsyGuy »

Take it... Dulwich is a very good school, right around the third top school in Beijing. The salary is good for entry level, depends how many years of credit they gave you? You could do better but not by much (salaries in Beijing at the top schools get "great" around 30K RMB).

The airfare is right around full fare economy round trip. If you went for discount economy you could fly 2 people on that. If its per person, at full fare you could upgrade to business pretty easily.

Depending on your housing package and lifestyle you should be able to save about half of that if you live frugally, but could really enjoy a nice lifestyle and save a quarter of it. Depends how you and the kids like to live. I was making over 20K a month and Im single had a 3 bedroom apartment, and lived VERY well (good restaurants, nice clubs, designer cloths, etc)
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Dulwich is a very good school, right around the third top school in Beijing[quote]

So you'd put Dulwich ahead of BCIS? I know it did win some kind of award this past year-- Best British International school or something like that?
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes id put Dulwich ahead of BCIS. I know they won an award, but thats this year, Dulwich has a more authentic and consistent experience over the long term.

That said id also agree that its a difference without much distinction, youd have to really be interested in a technical/academic discussion instead of a practical one. Its - to arguing over which is better ISB or WAB? They are both top schools and the debate about which is better is unlikely to be settled definitively.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

tick...tick....tick.....

Our self-imposed deadline is fast approaching. The final question now is whether we want to 'go home' to family or stay overseas.

Answer likely soon....

Thanks to all for the information and advice. It's greatly appreciated and, sometimes, even heeded!
PsyGuy

Bet

Post by PsyGuy »

If i was a betting kinda guy, id vote your going to pick Dulwich, its a great package and school The school back in Pennsylvania is low balling you on salary, and no one like to be undervalued.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Congrats choir-dude!!!!!!

I'm dissappointed you won't be joining me in Shanghai!!!!!!