A Tale of Two (Back-to-Back) International Job Fairs

Rhaegar Targaryen

A Tale of Two (Back-to-Back) International Job Fairs

Post by Rhaegar Targaryen »

OK--

As you all know, Search Associates is hosting a fair in Cambridge February 2-5. ISS is hosting a fair in Boston Februay 6-9. Only the Charles River separates the two cities.

I am registered for and will be attending both fairs (if needed/as necessary).

Here is the scenario:

I am basically interested in several schools in only one part of the world for a variety of reasons (valid/personal life reasons, not surface/picky reasons). The problem is that not all of the schools will be at both fairs. In fact, only two of the several schools that I am interested in will be at both fairs.
I think there are more opportunities (including admin) and more schools for me at the second fair, ISS.
However, I am getting more "feedback" and interest from a school at the first fair, Search.
And--my ultimate goal is to just get a job in this part of the world, but I would prefer to get one of my dream positions at the ISS Fair.

Here is my dilemma:

I could get an initial offer at the Search Fair. I think it is a good school in a decent location, with a decent package. If I get this offer, should I just go ahead and take it, or take my chances at ISS when I have not heard from any of the schools attending the second fair in Boston?
*(For the record, I have contacted all the schools with cover letters, resumes, etc.)
*(And--It is rumored that most of the schools from this particular part of the world have not been returning any e-mails to potential job seekers, so lack of contact does not necessarily mean lack of interest on their part.)

Now, so that everyone understands, the worst case scenario is for me to not get a job in this part of the world at all. So, to repeat, if I get an offer at Search, should I take it, or take my chances at ISS?

Any advice, feedback, thoughts, opinions, and insight from anyone is highly appreciated!
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I would get a feeling at the fair. If you can stall the offer maybe you can pull it off, but you may shoot yourself in the foot.

At the second fair you may not even get an interview. I had six offers my first fair and only one at my second and third fairs. You have no idea what is going to happen at these things.

I also would highly consider taking the first offer as you will be in the region that you desire and can always make contacts and jump in a few years.

I'm at a "tier one" school, but I had to put time in the trenches of some lessor schools and the contacts I made have led me to where I am.

I would consider the whole, "a bird in a hand" thing.
PsyGuy

How Bad

Post by PsyGuy »

I take it your a "maximizer", always looking for the ideal outcome. How bad do you want that perfect outcome???

I see three planing scenarios: Lets say just hypothetically you were interested only in a country like "Brazil", just hypothetically.

The "Good" plan:

You be a grownup, and interview as early as possible for the schools in "Brazil" when you get an offer that you like you take it. Why because, lets be honest you dont care all that much about the school or the job, for you what matters is being in "Brazil", it doesnt really matter how you get there or what you do when your there as long as your compensation package keeps you from starving or being homeless. I see this all the time with teachers who want to go to Japan, they dont really care what they are doing as long as they are in Japan. Yeah you might miss out on a potential "better" deal, but youll never know, and for such a narrow focused job search if you leave the two fairs without an offer in "Brazil" its over, the probability of finding one later in the year is going to be pretty close to zero.

The "Bad" plan:

So you pretend that the first part of the Search fair doesnt exist. There isnt going to be a lot for you to do over the long weekend, because your going to exhaust the number of schools in Brazil pretty fast. Your only going to get 24 hours to think over an offer.

So save the 2 schools that will be at both fairs for ISS. They arent going anywhere. Schedule as many of your other interviews for as late as you can in the fair, preferably the last day (Sunday). This should be easier as anyone not staying for ISS will be leaving the fair sunday to make travel connections. So you have your interviews at Search Sunday the 6th, you can probabley get until the 8th to make a decision which gives you a day maybe two at the ISS fair, where you want your interviews in "Brazil" as soon/early as possible. Hopefully you can have enough if not all (if you get any) offers within that time frame.
The problem with this plan, is that the vacancies might already be gone or taken early in the Search fair (thats one reason why Search is the better job fair for newbies, and Cambridge)

The "Ugly" plan:

You schedule your interviews as soon and as best as possible. You take the best "Brazil" offer you get at Search. You go to the ISS fair and if you get a better offer, you take that schools offer. The two agencies dont really work/play with each other. You bail on the first school with some family emergency, and explain the same problem to Search. Hopefully, Search doesnt burn you, and its so early and soon, that the first school will just offer your position to another candidate (the runner up). Its unlikely anyone will really find out, but the ugly part is if they do, it could very likely be a career killer. Neither agencies would accept you as a candidate again, and your second school would withdraw their contract.

Hope it helps. Loved the topic title by the way.
Rhaegar Targaryen

Thank you

Thank you, Psy+Like, for your responses and help.

My response and clarifications:

1. I am not a newbie. I have worked overseas for several years--but it has been nearly a decade since I have attended an international job fair. Things have changed--just want to make sure I am "in the know" about everything.

2. I am not sure if my previous school would be considered a Tier 1 or a Tier 2--regardless, I am already internationally "wet."

3. I am not trying to "maximize"...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid by taking the first offer (if I get it--fingers crossed!)

4. I am solely focusing on "South Africa/Colombia/Thailand/UAE, etc." for personal, relationship reasons--not because I am naively particular. "South Africa/Colombia/Thailand/UAE, etc." is where I need to be--and I will admit that it is paining me to see all of the other international jobs I am qualified for and could conceivably get--along with the solicitations I am receiving. But hey, that's life--and I know what I really need to do.

5. And I have made the decision--I will take the job at Search Associates if it is offered.

6. Psy--you like the thread title, huh? I guess I am just cool like that...!

To the both you--thanks again for the help/advice! It is what I needed to hear.

~Rhae
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Good luck with your decision.

I just want to add that I taught in Colombia for a few years and it's an amazing place. You won't get rich going there, but the experience is amazing and I've met very few people who have visited or lived in Colombia that will disagree.
PsyGuy

Help

Post by PsyGuy »

Glad we could "ease" your tension level.
Rhaegar Targaryen

Just want to let y'all know--

Everything worked out. Now, I am just waiting on the work visa to be approved so I can pick it up at the consulate.

Thank you to everyone!
PsyGuy

YAY

Post by PsyGuy »

Glad it worked out.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Where you heading?
Rhaegar Targaryen

Not to seem "smug" or anything, but I would rather not reveal the country since it would not be that hard to narrow down who I am. Not that many international schools in the country, and there weren't that many open positions/hirings.

I will tell how everything panned out, though:

Went to first job fair, did not get an offer (trumped by a couple).

All eggs in the second fair basket. Was focused on two schools initially. One of the schools fell off, because the position was no longer available once the fair started. However, another school that did not have a position I was qualified for, ended up updating their positions--one for which I was qualified.
Now, back to two schools. One school had one position, another had one as well, but possibily two. To make a long story short, I received an offer from both schools--they especially liked my versatility.

Packages were comparable--I made my decision based on the long-term quality of life offered in one of the cities (though I would have been perfectly happy in the other city if I had only received an offer from the other school).