SE Asia Schools - Attractive Package for Long Term Staff

vincentchase

SE Asia Schools - Attractive Package for Long Term Staff

Post by vincentchase »

After teaching at different international schools for the past 15 years, we've grown a little tired of constantly moving around. We would also like some stability for our son, who has just reached school age. As such, we're looking to lay down some roots and find a school to settle in for the next 10-15 years.

A pre-requisite would be a school that is not necessarily elite, but that financially rewards long term staff with a relatively high, multi-step salary ceiling. I ask this, because on some contracts I've been presented with, the salary might start at a reasonable level, yet reach a ceiling quite quickly. I imagine this would be frustrating for long term teachers. A retirement allowance would also be highly attractive.

We're set on settling in either Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore. Excluding the elite schools (ISB, NIST, JIS,BIS, ISKL, UWC and SAS), which other schools offer reasonable financial incentives to hold onto long term staff?
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

A school that doesn't get much mention in Thailand is Shrewsbury International School. It is a British school,through and through, with A Levels at the top end. Results are excellent and high-flyers do well here. There are approximately 1500 students,mostly Thai nationals. It is a profit school and pays staff relatively well for a second tier school. The pay scale is favorable as they quote salary in GBP and pay in THB. There is a minimum 60 THB/GBP, though, and this helps a lot. The scale is huge -maybe 28 steps- but annual increases are minimal (maybe 3000 THB a year). The best part of the package is the bonuses(annual, about a month's salary) after the third year and the chance to get responsibility allowances (and subsequent threshold increases) after 3 years in post). It's a good school with respectful students as well.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Thanks Choirboy, I'll look in Shrewsbury.

I think the ceiling limit a salary is important knowledge for potentially long term staff, yet this data is not generally available through recruitment agents.

Does anyone know the salary limit at the following schools?

Malaysia: Mont Kiara

Indonesia Sinarmas World Academy, Global Jaya, AIS (Jakarta)

Singapore: Nexus, OFS, GESS

Thailand:Concordian
SciGuy

Post by SciGuy »

The data is a bit dated, and somewhat unclear due to formatting and a lack of information about what a "case" is, but check out http://backpackingteacher.wordpress.com ... ry-survey/

It should give you some info about what you're looking for.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

You should also check out Surabaya International School. I've heard lots of good things about it.
scifigi

Post by scifigi »

[quote="nikkor"]You should also check out Surabaya International School. I've heard lots of good things about it.[/quote]

Having recently taught at Surabaya International School I would have to say that the good days are definitely in the past. Budget and leadership are serious issues and salaries are far below schools in the region (like JIS, SAS, ...)
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

Seoul Foreign School has an excellent package for long term staff, but you do have to be a Christian.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

In that case It'd feel more like Foreign Soul School.

scifigi, what would the salary be around at Surabaya for someone with 15 years experience?
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

LOL!
BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss »

Bandung International School sounds like the perfect fit. Plus, from everyone I've spoken with, the principal there is an incredible man to work for.
one2many

Post by one2many »

.isr
Last edited by one2many on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss »

[quote="one2many"].... and his name wouldn't be BobStrauss would it? :-)[/quote]

Haha nope, though I wouldn't mind trading salaries with the guy. :wink:

BAndung International School has a great reputation among the local expat community. If you do choose to look into working at BIS, I'm sure you'll find many other people willing to say the same.

Now, the local Indonesian government on the other hand...
PsyGuy

Speaking of...

Post by PsyGuy »

Speaking of the indonesian government, I read the principals response to the new employment school structuring claims. I cant say i was impressed with his conclusions. He seemed to feel that whatever the Indonesian government decided to do, wasnt, just wasnt going to apply to a handful of schools, because he says its ridicules.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Salary at Surabaya International School for someone with 15 years of experience would be about $40-45K a year.

Be advised that there is a 90% staff turnover at the end of 2012-2013.
Lovely, lovely local staff, great students, great location. Poorly managed money by the school (business manager is not known to be the best with numbers, or the most honest).

Teachers in the elementary were still using chalkboards and shared 2 computer projectors between 14 classrooms. Elementary principal overhired in the ES and teachers ended up having only 9-11 kids in their classrooms. The school then had to let teachers go. After that happened, 13 other teachers handed in their resignations. Now, 1.5 years later, the rest of the overseas staff is on it's way out the door. Last I heard, only 2-3 were staying past 2013.