Obtaining an interview at the fair

wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="lmnop"][quote="ichiro"]This has worked for me in the past (and admittedly that means IN THE PAST) and would like to know what you guys think about it now...

When I got to the front of the line (usually, but not always) with "interview request slips" from the school, I would hand them a different version of my resume. This version would also be on high-stock resume paper, but two-sided and be a majorly cut down version of words but filled with color-printed pictures of me in action in my classroom. The text would highlight things like years of teaching, education, workshops attended, and that's about it. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks ichoro! I took your advice and made a double sided colour brochure on glossy colour laser printed paper, with buzz words and photographs of me doing lots of extracurricular and hands-on activities, and the recruiters loved it at the interviews! They said it was clear, and demonstrated my creativity and ability to manage technology and create documents. And personally, I really do think it shows a lot more of my skills and abilities than a regular resume does.

It even led to a great job offer!
Thanks for the fantastic advice![/quote]

People better use this ploy while they can. Pretty soon it be will known as "pulling an Ichiro" and will be too cliche' to work (although it is a great idea).
PsyGuy

Haha

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree, Ive seen a lot of gimmicks. Resume business cards, resume flyers. Coupons good for one great teacher, that looked like a dollar bill, with the candidates face for the portrait. The scented pink resume, and 8x10 glossy photos with the resume on the back. The CD resume is getting a bit old, but ive gotten those two.

@iTeach314

Sorry about the late reply. Yes you can skip to the front of the line if you have an interview slip.

The coupon resume, looked like one of those fake $1 bills with the portrait of the teacher in the middle . It had circular writing around the portrait that said "Good for one GREAT teacher". It was printed in black and white on green stock paper 3 to a sheet. To the left and right of the portrait where the key resume points. 1)Degree, 2) Years of experience, 3) Certification (this was a primary school position, with additional ESL and Special Ed Certification). Across the top was their name where "United States of America" was and their email and phone where "Federal Reserve Note" and "One Dollar" would be respectively.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Great thread! Congratulations to lmnop! Psyguy, thanks for the reply. I used the Good for one Fantastic Teacher on an outline of a ticket on glossy photo paper. On the front there is my picture in the middle under the Good for one fantastic teacher part. It lists my certification and degree info (should've put years of experience but didn't want to highlight that I only have two). On the left side of the ticket it says: Offer expires soon! See back for details. Then on back it has my contact and other information including SKype name, email, teacher blogsite, cell number, hotel name and number, etc. My fair is approaching quickly.
PsyGuy

:)

Post by PsyGuy »

I hope it works for you.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

wrldtrvlr123 and iTeach

I am very curious to see an example. Any chance of me having a look at your resume. I am happy to email you if that's ok with you. Cheers.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="qwerty"]wrldtrvlr123 and iTeach

I am very curious to see an example. Any chance of me having a look at your resume. I am happy to email you if that's ok with you. Cheers.[/quote]

Hi. That wasn't me, although it is difficult to tell sometimes with the quote feature on here. I'd be too self-conscious/worried about how it would go over, to use the coupon idea. I might be tempted to pull an Ichiro if it doesn't get too played out in the near future.
PsyGuy

Gimmicks

Post by PsyGuy »

I was thinking of pulling an Ichiro next year at the admin fair.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

In addition to my ticket card, I also did an ichiro for schools that I really wanted. In addition to my resume. Overboard maybe.
PsyGuy

Nah

Post by PsyGuy »

No such thing as overboard if you get the job you want. If not, it was just paper and ink really :)
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Hey there. I was offered a job by two of my top choices in Korea. I still haven't checked my mail slot yet so there may be more information about others. The other schools from all over LOVED my coupon idea and complimented me throughout the day. It was really weird, because some of them wouldn't even interview me. Good luck to everyone!
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Whoo hoo, got a job at my #1 choice. I will be in Bangkok next year! So if you're in Bangkok and wouldn't mind conversing with me, please email me at dreamgiver23@yahoo.com. Was also offered great jobs in Tokyo and Beijing. In fact, signed the contract on Thursday before the fair even started. So I get to spend the weekend sight-seeing Boston instead of attending the fair!

Lesson learned: Plan to arrive at fair 1-2 days early. The week before the fair contact schools that have expressed interest in interviewing you at the fair (I had already done screening skype interviews with some of them) and set up interviews for the day and morning before the fair. Many recruiters were there a day early and doing this as much as possible! Wrap everything up, skip the fair, and then sightsee! If you can't manage to get the job by Skype, this works great! Although I only think it would work if you are a very competitive candidate and they're truly interested and want to nab you before everyone else does. I was offered 2 contracts the day the fair started. My only issue with this for me was getting two great offers with an answer deadline before I even got a chance to interview with all the schools that put interview request slips in my box. I didn't want to loose either of these jobs but I was nervous about what great unknowns I might be missing out on. But a Search Associate was super helpful in talking this through. They were familiar with the schools I hadn't interviewed with yet and were able to tell me if I would be missing out on the opportunity for something better. They verified none of them would be a better salary/package or reputation! So I felt 100% at peace about accepting the early offer and buying a 3 day hop on/hop off bus tour of Boston![/url]
PsyGuy

GREAT

Post by PsyGuy »

Good for you, I think your really going to like Thailand, I did. You can hang with Ichiro while your there. Glad the coupon worked.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Congrats Dreamgiver. I'll be in Seoul.

For those that will be attending their first fair...I surprisingly had 15 interview invitations by 4p on the first day of the UNI fair. Out of those 15, I had only contacted 2 prior to the fair. My top choice school did not send me an invite so I went to them during Round Robin, talked with the ES Principal and he confirmed that he had received my letter but after talking to me was really intrigued and now wanted to interview me. Of course I was ecstatic and nervous at the same time. They were my first interview, and by the end they were so impressed that they pretty much told me I had the job. They found me at the Social later that night and verbally told me they wanted me.
So, the lesson is, just because your top school doesn't give you an invite, doesn't mean all is lost. This was my first fair and this will be my first international teaching job and I was shocked that I was able to interview with some of the good schools. Be proactive.
davey

Post by davey »

[quote="iTeach314"]For those that will be attending their first fair...I surprisingly had 15 interview invitations by 4p on the first day of the UNI fair. Out of those 15, I had only contacted 2 prior to the fair. My top choice school did not send me an invite so I went to them during Round Robin, talked with the ES Principal and he confirmed that he had received my letter but after talking to me was really intrigued and now wanted to interview me. [/quote]

I concur about how awesome the UNI fair has been. The other candidates are awesome, the fair people are super helpful, and - at least for my subject - there were lots of invites. I ended up with an amazing job in Mexico, and I am SO glad I picked the UNI Fair. Congrats to everybody on their new jobs!