Obtaining an interview at the fair

dreamgiver

Obtaining an interview at the fair

Post by dreamgiver »

When I finally make it to the front of the line to sign up for an interview, how does that exchange go? How much time do I have to "sell" myself - 15 seconds . . . 30 seconds . . . more? After introductions, does the recruiter start the exchange with a basic question? Or do I immediately launch into a short persuasive speech about why I'm the best person to ever walk the earth? Any examples of what might be a good way to go would be appreciated!

If a school has already told me they want to interview me at the fair, do I still stand in line to sign up for an interview, or is there some nifty "pass to the front of the line" procedure? :)

Thanks in advance for the input everyone. Everything up to now has been very helpful!
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Bump. I have the same questions!!
BocaJrs

Post by BocaJrs »

I personally can't help you but this blog post might answer some of your questions...

http://teachtraveltaste.com/2011/03/30/ ... achusetts/
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Obtaining an interview at the fair

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="dreamgiver"]When I finally make it to the front of the line to sign up for an interview, how does that exchange go? How much time do I have to "sell" myself - 15 seconds . . . 30 seconds . . . more? After introductions, does the recruiter start the exchange with a basic question? Or do I immediately launch into a short persuasive speech about why I'm the best person to ever walk the earth? Any examples of what might be a good way to go would be appreciated!

If a school has already told me they want to interview me at the fair, do I still stand in line to sign up for an interview, or is there some nifty "pass to the front of the line" procedure? :)

Thanks in advance for the input everyone. Everything up to now has been very helpful![/quote]

Yes, that's about it. You get to front, you introduce yourself, what subject you would like to interview for and a reason why they should talk to you.

At the recent Search BKK, if a school contacted you prior to sign up, they left a green slip in your folder and you showed that to move to the front of the line.

Also, they encourage you to leave a CV and cover letter in the school's folder with a yellow slip, requesting an interview when you register.

If the school doesn't respond/contact you before the sign up session, it is not a lost cause, but you definitely have your work cut out for you (although I have heard of people getting offers even after having to talk their way in at sign up).
PsyGuy

Confusion

Post by PsyGuy »

There are two steps, in the line your basically auditioning yourself, trying to get an actual interview spot. They can't do a half hour interview for everyone. If you get a slip, then you actually get to meet with the recruiter, usually in their hotel room for an actual interview. They don't give contracts and decide who they are going to hire, based on a 30 second how do you do.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

PsyGuy,
If they are interested in hiring you, when will they offer the contract if not at the end of the interview? Will they call the number you provide, email during the fair?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@ichiro

Id take notice of the "picture flyer" approach, it would be creative. I dont know if it would work for me, would depend on the position, and what you included. A lotof times i just want the information, and if your resume doesnt have that, even if it is cute, i just move on. I definitely advocate a high quality resume. Ive seen people use brightly colored paper before (hot pink is popular), and other gimmicks like the "business card" resume. The CD resume (their portfolio on the CD, but the CD label/cover has their photo and contact and basic resume info). Ive seen people do a 3 fold brochure, on slick paper. I had one person do a "Coupon" resume (good for one GREAT teacher). Ive seen the "model" where they print their resume on the back of an 8x10 photo of them self.

@iTeach314

If a school is going to wait, they usually use email to contact you, as they will attach the contract if your selected, and it more impersonal and efficent to send a mass rejection note if you were not (If your not selected sometimes you will get a "sorry" email, but just as often you just wont hear back from them). Being as this is the Cambridge fair you shouldnt have to wait long, a week tops. So if you havent heard anything by the following Monday, its a good bet you didnt make the cut.

If the school offers you a position while at the fair, every school does it slightly differently, but the biggest variable is if YOU need time to think. Schools either have blank contracts that they fill in with the specifics, or they will give you a "contract summary" or some other type of addendum describing in brief, the position, salary, and other essentials. The big issue for them is they dont want "misunderstandings" about what was discussed, and agreed to. It is BEST for the school to negotiate the contract as part of the interview process. Your supposed to get 24 hours to think about a contract, but of course its a big bonus to a recruiter if you can sign immediately. The simple reason is if you sign, we can stop interviewing for that position, as its now filled.

When your looking over the contract a couple things people tend to over look are:

DUTIES: How many hours per week of teaching/contact hours do you have. Everyone focuses on the overall salary, but pay per hour is the real number to fairly compare one schools salary to another. You also need to know what your non teaching (or contact) hours are going to be, and what the daily "clock" schedule is. Can you leave when your classes are done for the day, are you expected to be on campus from 8-5 or whenever. What are the extra curricular or club requirements, tutoring, weekend, after hours, and what is the overtime and extra duty pay.

You need to make sure you have one day, afternoon, or morning a month "off", so that you can go to the bank, attend medical appointments, pay your mobile phone bill, etc.

TAXES: What is the TOTAL percentage of tax you pay (most countries have a social security, municipal, and national tax that all get factored together), and when do you start paying those taxes. The more developed (meaning socialized) a country is the more you pay in taxes. Contrary to most peoples thinking, you dont qualify for "tax free" salaries because of a tax treaty (1) You dont work for the government, you work for a private school, and 2) You werent "invited", you applied for and accepted a job).

DISASTER: Its usually the last thing on someone mind, but ask what happens in case of a disaster (flood, volcano, tsunami, earthquake). Also what happens in case of a family/medical catastrophe. In many asian countries if your "out, absent, sick" for more then 30 days you loose your position.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

[quote="ichiro"]...When I got to the front of the line (usually, but not always) with "interview request slips" from the school . . .[/quote]

Ichiro, did you stand in the long line even if you had an interview request slip?
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

You go to the front of the line if you have an interview request slip. You might think its rude, but the recruiters want to fill their interview slots with the people they WANT to talk to, so they know how many open slots they have to work with.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Wow, so I can just cut to the front of the line, just like that? First timer attending UNI fair here. Psyguy and ichiro, great advice. I will definitely think of using one of those resume strategies.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Psyguy can you give more info on the coupon resume? Was the coupon on one side and the resume on another? The quirkiness in me loves this.
overseasvet2

????

Post by overseasvet2 »

"You need to make sure you have one day, afternoon, or morning a month "off", so that you can go to the bank, attend medical appointments, pay your mobile phone bill, etc. " - PsyGuy

What in the world are you talking about? You HAVE been in Europe too long if you're setting this up as an expectation for teachers. The good schools have either a teaching schedule that allows people to take care of these things or personal days. When people are done for the day around 3, this is not really an issue. Perhaps that's what you meant, not so many after school responsibilities - that you actually get to leave on time most days. The top schools make no apologies for the fact that teachers have after school committments 2 to 3 days a week. "Play hard, work hard" is the mantra of the best paying international schools.
PsyGuy

???

Post by PsyGuy »

Actually all of our teachers leave at 2:45. The issue is that not everyone gets a job or position at the "Best" or even "good" schools. In many parts of Asia (especially the more rural areas), the foreign transaction counter is only open a few hours a week, like Friday from 11-2 or something like that.
lmnop

Post by lmnop »

[quote="ichiro"]This has worked for me in the past (and admittedly that means IN THE PAST) and would like to know what you guys think about it now...

When I got to the front of the line (usually, but not always) with "interview request slips" from the school, I would hand them a different version of my resume. This version would also be on high-stock resume paper, but two-sided and be a majorly cut down version of words but filled with color-printed pictures of me in action in my classroom. The text would highlight things like years of teaching, education, workshops attended, and that's about it. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks ichoro! I took your advice and made a double sided colour brochure on glossy colour laser printed paper, with buzz words and photographs of me doing lots of extracurricular and hands-on activities, and the recruiters loved it at the interviews! They said it was clear, and demonstrated my creativity and ability to manage technology and create documents. And personally, I really do think it shows a lot more of my skills and abilities than a regular resume does.

It even led to a great job offer!
Thanks for the fantastic advice!