Obtaining an interview at the fair

dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Congrats iTeach314 and davey!

It would be fun to have a way for everyone to check in on here and say where they ended up getting jobs. After we've all been picking each others brains and acting freaked out on here for the last couple months!
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

I just saw this and wondered if couples should make a creative resume together, seperate or both?

Also what would you think of a resume designed like Facebook? I know us in the US use it constantly, but since im not in the IS world yet, is it as popular?

What about designing and info-graphic resume? Any thoughts?
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

No you should have separate resumes, but a joint cover letter if their is a suitable vacancy for each of you. Joint resumes are too difficult to read and sort out.

What your referring to is called pulling an ichiro. It means using any type of non traditional or alternative resume and or marketing device. Anything from a flyer, to a coupon, to brochure.
If you wanted to do a FB style of device/tool thats fine. Just remember what ever it is needs to be a supplement to your standard traditional resume. Its great for getting a recruiters attention, but afterwords they need to sum you up quickly and efficiently, and for the vast majority of them they are use to traditional resumes.

FB or a regional variation is very popular from Japan to London. Social networking is everywhere.

I saw an info commercial a teacher made on you tube.

Recently an art teacher who made a mock magazine about herself. It was one of those special advertisement type of sections youd find in a magazine, that was a mix of focused "news" and editorials as well. One article which was meant to convey her teaching philosophy was one of those celebrity interviews where they post questions and the celebrity answers them. she had a 10 point check list on "Safety in the Art room", another article about how art builds neuro connections in the mind. There was mock advertising, for Search, and the IB with fake adds, and a advertising within the advertising on the AP Vs. IB. retrospect. Of course the focus of the whole piece was an "executive expose" much like time or the economist will do a feature cover story. The whole piece was basically a narrative of her resume, with a "facts at a glance". She really put a lot of time and money into it.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

PsyGuy -

So do people hand both a standard resume and something creative?

Do they put the standard resume in their hanging folders and use the creative ones for sign-ups and or interviews?

When would you use each?

I typically hand out a folder with my resume and letters of recomendation inside and put a buisness card on the front cover as I like to keep it more professional, but after reading this I now wonder if that is too typical and this might be a way to stand out. I want to stand out as I am a newbie, but don't want to take it too far.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your really thinking the wrong kind of job fair, its not like the college job fairs where all the employers have booths and you walk around for an afternoon.
"Signup" happens on the first morning of the job fair, depending on the size its about an hour or two, sometimes they split the schools up into two sessions. Anyway it just the recruiters and a piece of paper over their spot that says what vacancies they are interviewing for. So during this hour or so you wait in line and you have between 4 seconds and 30 seconds to convince a recruiter to give you an interview time sometime during the fair. It really is a cattle call. Some schools will have really long lines, so will have no one, you need to decide if its worth your time to wait in line at a couple top tier schools, or hit as many low tier schools as you can. Ive known candidates who have a 15 interviews, but they were all at bottom tier schools. I also know one candidate who came to talk to one school (ASIJ) and when they arrived they didnt have any vacancies or interviews.

So there are two ways of pulling an ichiro, first, each school has a folder (mailbox) that candidates can put resumes and other things in. Your hope is that your ichiro catches their attention among a pile of plain paper resumes, and they contact you. You can also slide your ichiro under recruiters hotel doors, again in hopes of getting their attention.

The other use is when your waiting in line during signup you walk up hake their hand and while introducing yourself slide your ichiro into their hands. While you give them your pitch, hopefully they ask for your resume, and then that leads to an interview slot.
viper1b

Post by viper1b »

Hey psyguy,
We are interested in both IB and "American Curriculum" schools. Would it hurt our chances at an American school if our "ichiro" has IB stuff on it, or the other way around? Thanks alot.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Not really, an ichiro is about showcasing your creativity and marketing yourself. Its an attention getter, warm up, bridging device, ad spot, etc. Its the old school equivalent of writing "S-E-X" on the board, and "now that I have your attention". An ichiro isnt about the detail, but the impact. Your ichiro should hit whatever your strongest asset is. Its whatever is going to sell a school on your greatest added value. If that happens to be your AP and IB angle, then thats what it is.