Demand for special education teachers

doubtful

Demand for special education teachers

Post by doubtful »

At the present time, there are quite a few special education teaching positions listed. There are no fewer than30 positions I would be more than happy to interview for. I'm sure that number will begin to change dramatically as the Search Cambridge fair approaches, but I'm interested in learning about others' experiences when seeking a spec. ed position overseas.

I have about 6 years of experience teaching special education (both pull-out classes in English and History and co-teaching both subject areas at the HS). Two years of that experience were with grades K-8. I am certified in special education, elementary, and secondary English. I have additional extensive experience working with individuals with a variety of disabilities.

I've got a non-teaching - but very supportive :) - spouse, but I'm open to many different locations and I'm very excited by the possibilities. Is this just a pipe dream, or can I make it happen with a NT spouse and no international school experience?

Thanks for any input!
overseasvet2

special ed positions

Post by overseasvet2 »

The US State Dept is putting big pressure on schools to expand sp. ed. services so it's a growing field internationally. It sounds like you have good experiences. It's worth the effort to try....it is more difficult to secure a post with NT spouse but since you are so specialized, your odds are better. Good luck!
PsyGuy

Ugh

Post by PsyGuy »

Im probabley going to hear it again, but while its true that DOS is pushing for better SPED, that push is at DOS assisted schools which is a pretty small group, and are usually the elite schools in a region.

In the second tier schools SPED (also called learning support) either doesnt exist, or is only for very mild needs students. At the 1st tier schools SPED is more common but again usually only serves very mild needs students, and most of it is inclusion. SPED is just expensive on a per student basis, and most international schools are private schools, which means if parents want it they have to pay for it, and when parents consider the extra cost in tuition for SPED its about the same as what they would pay to go to a better higher tier school where SPED is cheaper because of economics of scale. Usually SPED at tier two schools, if available is a single person campus wide. At tier 1 schools you usually get more, and elite schools have fully staffed departments. Even the biggest schools like SAS (Singapore American School) point out that there SPED services are not to the level required by US law.

That said you sound like you'd be as qualified and potentially successful candidate as any new teacher. Try to study and learn the vocabulary for SPED from countries like Australia, and the UK. Most international SPED teachers come from USA, NZ, Australia, Canada, UK. So in a mixed SPED department or when dealing with parents and hiring administrators you wont be lost and confused when hearing unfamiliar terms. This really impressed admins who are looking to maintain group cohesion within a department, and the reality is you will have to learn them anyway, you might as well use them to impress a recruiter. For instance IEP's outside of american schools are called "Action Plans".

Do you have kids, because the only thing that would be a challenge for you would be 1) You have a trailing spouse, who might have little they can do. 2) You have no IB experience, and depending on the school that can be a problem (though less an issue in SPED i think from my experience).
doubtful

Post by doubtful »

Thanks for the responses; they were very helpful!

@Psyguy- I have no children, and my spouse will be teaching online classes
through his current employer and running his business. We aren't worried about it, but the recruiters are who need to be convinced :)
RandyBush

SPED internationally

Post by RandyBush »

I got my first job internationally as a SPED teacher with dependent in Central America. I've been here for three years and have liked it very much. I am at a school that went from 1 SPED teacher to 5 in 4 years. I am moving on now as a teaching couple with dependent. We have already accepted a position.

If your dependent is willing to go without a visa you should have no problem, but it probably won't be that hard for them to get a visa. Best of luck.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Ugh

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Im probabley going to hear it again, but while its true that DOS is pushing for better SPED, that push is at DOS assisted schools which is a pretty small group, and are usually the elite schools in a region.

In the second tier schools SPED (also called learning support) either doesnt exist, or is only for very mild needs students. At the 1st tier schools SPED is more common but again usually only serves very mild needs students, and most of it is inclusion. SPED is just expensive on a per student basis, and most international schools are private schools, which means if parents want it they have to pay for it, and when parents consider the extra cost in tuition for SPED its about the same as what they would pay to go to a better higher tier school where SPED is cheaper because of economics of scale. Usually SPED at tier two schools, if available is a single person campus wide. At tier 1 schools you usually get more, and elite schools have fully staffed departments. Even the biggest schools like SAS (Singapore American School) point out that there SPED services are not to the level required by US law.

That said you sound like you'd be as qualified and potentially successful candidate as any new teacher. Try to study and learn the vocabulary for SPED from countries like Australia, and the UK. Most international SPED teachers come from USA, NZ, Australia, Canada, UK. So in a mixed SPED department or when dealing with parents and hiring administrators you wont be lost and confused when hearing unfamiliar terms. This really impressed admins who are looking to maintain group cohesion within a department, and the reality is you will have to learn them anyway, you might as well use them to impress a recruiter. For instance IEP's outside of american schools are called "Action Plans".

Do you have kids, because the only thing that would be a challenge for you would be 1) You have a trailing spouse, who might have little they can do. 2) You have no IB experience, and depending on the school that can be a problem (though less an issue in SPED i think from my experience).[/quote]

Learning support positions were more plentiful than elementary positions at Seach BKK (well, maybe not, but it felt that way).

And actually, they are still called IEP's in many international schools (like most schools in Beijing, and even in the British school I was at today).
doubtful

Post by doubtful »

Thank you, wrldtrvlr123.

It is good to hear that there were plentiful spec. ed positions at Search BKK. I'm hoping that continues through Search Cambridge, although I highly suspect that a lot of the positions will be gone before then....And a lot of schools in which I am interested aren't even on the list for Cambridge.

I have in my favor the fact that I am [b]enthusiastically[/b] dreaming of multiple parts of the world. When I began this journey, it was because I wanted to live and work in Europe. That's not so much the case now!!! I mean, if the situation were right, I think we'd be willing to consider ALMOST anywhere. You only live once.

Thanks again, everyone for your helpful and insightful comments.
PsyGuy

OK

Post by PsyGuy »

Ill take your word for it in Italy and Denmark they are called "Action Plans" didnt know that until i got here.

Im really excited that SPED is growing in some areas, and regions.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

What we called IEPs in the US, we call Learning Support Plans at my current school. I would suggest looking into Hong Kong. There are many Special Education/Learning Support Positions available. Check ESF Schools in particular. Hong Kong is good for dependents because a spouse automatically qualifies for a work visa. I was hired (Search)at an IB school without any international or IB experience, 3 prior years of teaching but a long work history of doing other things that look pretty good. I don't think it matters as much with Learning Support. I would suggest looking into adding ESOL and TAG to supplement any Special Education background.