Garden International School, KL, Malaysia

hb2011

Garden International School, KL, Malaysia

Post by hb2011 »

Does anyone know anything about this school? I am looking for a school which has good professional development, a good package and salary which I can save on? Any recent knowledge/experiences here? Thanks
hb2011

Post by hb2011 »

anyone? Thanks!
overseasvet2

Garden

Post by overseasvet2 »

Considered # 3 in KL. Not sure what working conditions are like - mostly local kids, I believe.
Anonymouse

Post by Anonymouse »

Primary may be 3rd.
Secondary exam results are no 1 by a long way.
More Asian student body than others.
Not paid (quite) as well as the others.
gus

Post by gus »

What would be 1 & 2?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

#1 International School of Kuala Lumpur - ISKL (http://www.iskl.edu.my)

#2 Alice Smith School (http://www.alice-smith.edu.my)

I wouldnt rank Garden IS #3.
senator

Post by senator »

Number 2 is Montkiara International School which is very close-geographically- to Garden School. Alice Smith is probably # 3 with garden #4?
I taught at Montkiara and know that most people who actually taught in KL agree that it is ISKL #1 and Montkiara #2.
gus

Post by gus »

How far is Mont' Kiara from ISKL?

Would it be reasonable for me to work at ISKL and my spouse at Mount' Kiara?
senator

Post by senator »

Gus,
The geographical distance is easily manageable, but traffic from 3 to 6 or 7 anywhere in KL is CRAZY! To go from Montkiara to ISKL area during this time could take 2 hours on most days, more on Fridays or a "bad" traffic day. If you leave early enough, your morning commute will be much quicker.

That said, if you don't mind spending that much time in a vehicle after your work day, much of it not moving and breathing in auto AC, your weekends will be paradise.

If you want peace and suburbia, Montkiara. Ampang area of ISKL is pure city living.

Anything else you want to know, feel gree to ask.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

It coulkd be done, it depends where you live and how close to the MET you live. If you can walk to the MET instead of a bus and you leave early enough (both morning and afternoon) its a doable 45 minutes. If you go at morning or afternoon rush 90min-2 hours is more likely. There is also travel costs, my suggestion is live supper close to one of your schools so you have negligible travel time, and the other does the commute. Really the difference in time will only add 30 minutes to whoever commutes, and it means that someone can take care of things like emergencies and the kids if need be. Which is better then both of you having to leave by a certain time to commute.
senator

Post by senator »

The closest Met station to Montkiara is at least an hour away depending on traffic - much too far to walk to. It is a good 20 - 30 minutes away in moderate traffic. So even if you take the Met from ISKL - not as quick a deal as PsyGuy wold have you believe - you still have a total trip of 2 hours plus. That is the botom line.

And sure, anything is doable, but would a head hire someone who he knows would be having that much daily stress added to his position?
I don't know.

And how much quality time could you spend with your wife after a long day at work and a 2+ hour commute?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Isnt that what I wrote 90 min- 2 hours?

How is a head going to even know your travel and living plans? They arent going to care about your commute, or the "stress" of commuting. ive never heard a recruiter say "Well this teacher is amazing and everything we want and need, but we cant hire them because they are going to have way to much stress from commuting".
Is the teacher supposed to say in the interview "I need to be aware that im going to be commuting 2 hours each way so that my spouse can live near her school, so im going to be under a lot of stress."

I was thinking more about the appreciation the wife would have for making the commute sacrifice everyday.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I will just say it is annoying to have a spouse working at the other school. They are cross town, and traffic will be an issue. The only real possibility is to live closer to garden/mont kiara and get transport to iskl, car + train or just car.

Garden and mont kiara are basically next to each other.