Newbie..want some advice

matt79

Newbie..want some advice

Post by matt79 »

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie, just starting out and looking for some advice/feedback on how to proceed. I am 32 year old Indian guy, have nearly 4 years experience teaching ESL in China, Vietnam, India and Cambodia in a variety of roles- ESL teacher, freelance teacher trainer (with the British Council in India), Young Leraner Academic Coordinator (my last role before my present job). I have a Masters degree in English Language and Literature (Distance Education) from an good Indian University and a full time, onsite TESOL certification. I am currently working as a ESL teacher in Siem Reap, Cambodia in one of the few good language schools. I have steller references from all the language schools I have worked for. I am also a qualified IELTS trainer and have taught IELTS/TOEFL for several years in India, China and Vietnam.

I am married with a non teaching spouse (she is a banker with loads of experience in banking Operations) and a 7 month old baby.

Now I understand that my ESL experience doesnt count/hardly counts and I dont want to stay in ESL any longer. I have decided to go back to school in India and get a B.Ed next year. I hope to finish my B.Ed by May 2014 with specialization in English and/or ESL and Geography/Special needs Ed. I want to be an International school teacher in a few years time.

My query is whether I should get some experience working in an Indian International school (Tier 2 or Tier 3) for a couple of years before starting out on the International scene or should I go to one of the Search fairs in Bangkok right after I get certified in my home country? I have no preferences in location and will take up any reasonable offer, as long I can break even for 2 years and it is a reasonably safe country for my family. The aim is to hit the magic number of 2 years exp, required by most schools. Is it reasonable to believe that I might get a job from a Tier 3 IS in Africa, Middle East or Asia, right after teacher training, with no actual IS experience? Will it help if I am ready to pay for my wife and baby to join me (flights, health insurance, difference in housing cost vs the housing allowance, living expenses etc) for the first 2 year contract, to make myself a more attractive candidate to the recruiters? Do schools usually help with the visas/residency permits for the family in that scenario?

Is it do-able or should I just stick to ESL? The other option is do the DELTA and just go forward in the ESL route.

How much weight does a degree from a major english speaking country (US, UK, AUS etc) carry? Or would someone like me with Indian degrees have a chance? I have got all my ESL jobs despite tremendous competition from native speakers and never had to hide my nationality from my students/parents. Though I must admit there were tons of rejections based on my so called 'non native speaker' tag, for every job offer I got. They probably dont know that India is a major English speaking country and I have a very neutral accent:-) So I am not new to rejection and aim to bring the same steely resolve in shaping this career.

I am in the process of registering with Search associates and so far my associate has done a great job of responding to all my queries promptly and helping me with my registration process. I have collected 3 out of the 4 references required. Any other IS recruitment sites I should register on?

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
PsyGuy

Hard

Post by PsyGuy »

This is a real hard response, so i need to start out by saying Im extrapolating my largely western experience to you...

First, you dont need to go back for a B.Ed, you already have a degree, and what you really need to do is get a teaching license/qualification certification. In some countries like Canada a B.Ed "IS" the teaching qualification. I dont know what you need in india to be honest. Luckily your not really looking to stay in India as a teacher so there are a variety of Post Grad and Alternative certification programs to get you licensed in the USA, Australia, UK. A PGCE from a UK school, or a certification only program in the USA would only take a year. Id look into the PGCE personally as it doesnt require a field experience (practicum, student teaching) unless you pursue QTS. You can do these programs online and by distance, so theres no reason to "leave" work or your job.

ESOL experience, especially any teaching experience prior to certification doesnt count.

I cant say what the value of staying in your home country would be. Its a dirty truth but international schools have a strong "Western" atmosphere to them. A western degree (if thats what you wanted to pursue) would be valuable. Many schools also want native english speakers, i know you say youve never had a problem, and your familiar with the fact that a lot of schools wont even give you a chance to prove yourself. Im sorry its just a reality that there is a significant population of schools that want a white western teacher. yeah the elite schools value diversity but they are the exception not the rule. None of your proposed teaching areas (outside of special needs) are in high demand, and given your background I dont see you as a desirable candidate for an English/ESL position. As an admin i hate to say it but without experience and seeing you came from a school in India, I wouldnt advance your application forward for an ESOL or English position.

I can see a third tier school picking you up, and schools will arrange visas for your family as well. You shouldnt sell yourself short even at a third tier school. You would appear desperate if you offered to cover relocation expenses yourself.
juliekunselman

Alternative Certification

Post by juliekunselman »

Hi Matt,

If you are interested in an online alternative certification program, then you may be interested in TeacherReady. It is accredited by NCATE, approved by the Florida Department of Education, and affiliated with the University of West Florida. TeacherReady teachers have taught at more than 25 different international schools and the current admissions class has 5 teachers from one international school in Egypt. Visit the facebook page(https://www.facebook.com/TeacherReadyProgram) to connect with teachers who have completed this program or email the director (sarah.miller@studereducation.com). I just started working with them as a part-time instructor and researcher.

Julie
matt79

Post by matt79 »

Thank you, Pysch and Julie for your comments and the info. I will look into the facebook page, Julie.

I have also been researching distance education PGCE programs with or without QTS that I can pursue while still working in ESL for the time being. The Uni of Nottingham looks like a good fit.

Thanks once again for steering me in the right direction.

Regards,
Matt
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah don't make it harder for yourself then you have to. Nottingham is a OK school.
season4greatness

Dear matt79

Post by season4greatness »

I wondered if the private language school which you speak of is
JAY PRITZKER ACADEMY in Seam Reap, Cambodia. They are interested in interviewing me, but as you well know, I need to do my due diligence.

Could you give me more information about it? Salary? Housing? Cooperation of administrators?
I did not find reviews about this place on ISR.

If you do not want to discuss this on the forum, please reply with your email address.
Thank you.