applying to schools directly or through SEARCH?

hb2011

applying to schools directly or through SEARCH?

Post by hb2011 »

Hi,

We are first time SEARCH candidates and have been recommended by our associate to apply to the schools through the database by sending an email of interest, as opposed to through the schools websites. I am concerned that on the schools' websites many are asking for a cover letter or an electronic application. We have applied to a couple of schools so far through the database and not heard back, and I am wondering if schools take these applications seriously, or whether we should be going through what they ask on the websites. Does any one have any knowledge/experience of this?

Thanks for your help.
hb2011

Post by hb2011 »

In addition, I would be worried to apply to schools directly, rather than thorugh the database, as we've been asked to attach the Search associate to any emails for jobs not through the database, so would feel like we were not following his instruction.
overseasvet2

contacting schools directly

Post by overseasvet2 »

Your associate will want you to go through SEARCH so they can charge the school should they hire you. It might be an advantage to send through SEARCH because schools know they can then go directly at looking at your paperwork.

If writing direct the best thing is to make yourself stand out starting with the subject line. The best attachment is a PDF file that contains all of your pertinent info. At this time of year even small schools are getting hundreds of applications - don't be discouraged. Just keep trying!
PsyGuy

Send Email

Post by PsyGuy »

This is one of those instances where Search just wants to make sure they get paid. I use to send my associate at Search an email about which schools I applied to, but my associate doesnt do a thing to help me find a job. Some associates are really great, some arent. Search doesnt really help you find a job though. They mainly do to things 1) Provide you access to the database, 2) Sponsor the fairs.

My advice is to always follow the schools instructions. You can use the Search application feature to gauge school interest. If you use the Search message function, and then get a message back from the school to apply on their online sight that can indicate they are interested in you. I prefer a nice cover letter and resume, as opposed to the Search candidate profile.

Heres the background issue. Search membership is expensive ($200) for three years once you get a job, the school pays the associate $2,500, the problem is some people dont notify search that theyve been hired so Search doesnt get paid.
hb2011

Post by hb2011 »

Thanks.
[b]PsyGuy [/b] Can i ask, when you say that your associate doesn't help you get a job, do you still send an email to the school via the database highlighting your interest, or do you write directly to the school following their website instructions? This is what I am concerned about, which is better to do?
PsyGuy

Me

Post by PsyGuy »

I copy the email from the school profile and send a separate email. It lets me attach my own cover letter and certification that way (I have 20+ certifications, which makes me stand out). When you send a message through search, it goes to the schools dashboard, and then they get an email saying they have received the following candidates application, and to access it through the school profile. Its more work that way, since the email we get doesnt say if the person is at all qualified.

Always follow the schools instructions...
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

I don't send my email through the Search website because I can't figure out how to attach my resume. So I send an email directly to the school from my personel email. That way I can attach my with resume and any other attachments they ask for. I don't want to chance whether they'll actually look me up on the website. That way I can assure they're getting all my information plus will have my search info too if they should bother to look. I usually cc my Search associate on the emails.

I've asked and some schools say they don't need you to email your reference letters, etc if you are a Search candidate. However others have told me that I still need to email my reference letters and complete their applications regardless of my Search candidacy. So based on the advice I got from several people on this forum I'm doing EXACTLY what the schools website says to do unless they've told me otherwise.
PsyGuy

FYI

Post by PsyGuy »

There is no way to attach a resume or anything else. When Search was redesigning their site, they thought they might offer attachments, but the threat of infected files being transmitted through their service was deemed too risky and a liability, so its stay just straight text. At least they removed the "preferred jobs requirement". It used to be you could only send a message through search if the job your applying for was one of your 4 preferred jobs, now you can send to anyone.
aphid

Post by aphid »

I feel it is important to satisfy both camps when applying - Search and the school.

When I have applied for positions I have learned about through Search I make that clear in my opening paragraph and I also make reference in my closing paragraph to the fact that references and further information can be secured via Search Associates. I always attach my CV and include Search as CC or BCC.

I include the e-mail address shown within the Search school listing and, if different, an email address requested for applications within the school web site. I think it important, and that you demonstrate, that you have taken the time to review the school web site for additional information. I have noticed, too, that quite often the details of the post in the school web site and far more specific which may influence your decision to apply. Much more sensible to quote the actual job description shown on the school web site rather than the the very general description shown on Search.
Roundtrip

search firm vs independent search

Post by Roundtrip »

I applied directly to about 12 schools in Europe back in the 90's and got a contract from one. It was one of the greatest years of my life. You just need to do your homework on the schools before you contact them. I had been a candidate with a search firm, but they didn't do a thing for me except take my money. When I went out on my own initiatives, I got my dream job. I don't mean to be negative about search firms because some of them actually do their job. I'm just saying it worked better for me to take matters into my own hands.