Aarhus Academy

figure8

Aarhus Academy

Post by figure8 »

Anyone out there have information on Aarhus Academy for Global Education in Denmark? I see that it is a fairly new school located in the town of Aarhus. There is one very positive review on ISR, but wondering if anyone else has anything to add.

Thank-you.
PsyGuy

My Take

Post by PsyGuy »

I get the feeling the review on ISR was written by an admin of the school. They are very, very new and ambitious, to say the least. Kind of like a very preppy experience for primary school students. They dont have their IB authorization (they are a candidate school), they provide primary, starting next year secondary. They will be a feeder school for Langkaer Gymnasium, which started their Dip program this year. Its a nice little collaboration.

They are a VERY for profit school, and have that mentality. They are heavily into recruiting, and from what I have heard from several of our teachers they seem pretty aggressive. A few notes though they only hire those who have permission already to work in Denmark (that what your CPR number is for) so they arent hiring people who dont already have Danish Work Permits /Visas (which is why they are so aggressively recruiting our foreign staff). They also dont provide an expat package for relocation, so no airfare, housing, etc (yet another reason they are so aggressive at hiring locals). They do have a nice salary, but their compensation is basically a "local hire" package: salary + benefits (insurance, retirement). Some of our teachers have been offered signing incentives/bonuses, that when would mean the same thing, because really at the end of the day, whatever an employer calls it, its all just money in one form or another. A typical teachers salary in Denmark is about 25K Crowns/month. From what I've heard (and this is second hand) they have been offering salaries around 27K/29K. Then again they appear to be able to afford it.

The school building and facilities are pretty modern, though overall "small" (but everything has that "new" feeling to it). The leadership seems supportive and friendly enough, though theirs a certain business and abstract academic approach to management. They aren't micro managers though was the impression i got.

The big issue though is this isnt Copenhagen by ANY stretch of the imagination. Its a very small suburban business/college town. There's nothing there to really do. The main center of the area is the port harbor (AKA the business center), theres a business college/university and a small university commons but seriously, its a sleepy town of middle aged business owners. Great place to raise some kids, and settle down for the long quite (and COLD) winter with your spouse (Hallmark probably uses this place as inspiration for Christmas cards). I know they have a beach, but when I was in Helsingere in northern Denmark in August, the water was about 10 degrees C (50 degrees F) so not a whole lot happening there.

I wouldnt work there but Im a single guy in my 30's, so its not really the place for me. That aside, no one really knows whats going to happen or what there management style is going to become. Right now its sale time early and the rainbows and sunshine required for all levels of students/staff/parents, etc. If you could get in on the ground floor it might be an opportunity to be a founding part of a school that may have a long and prestigious history sometime in the future. My opinion is that this schools a "corporate" school, and at some point business is going to run up against the classroom, and business is going to win.

**DISCLAIMER**, we had a very brief conversation, about myself coming over as a teacher, but there wasnt an admin opportunity they were offering so the conversation ended pretty quick. I dont think im bias, but nobody ever thinks they are.
figure8

Post by figure8 »

Thanks for your reply, Psyguy.

A lot of what you said I suspected. I haven't found them to be too aggressive per se, but they have expressed some interest and I am more curious than anything.

I agree that the town itself might be rather tiresome after a while. I am married, but fairly young, so not sure how I feel about the long cold winters with little to do! My last overseas experience was great, but we were living in a bustling and vibrant city, so this might be a bit of a dull shock.

Not sure about the visa issues. I have dual (EU) citizenship, but have definitely considered the overall expenses might be a little much. We were fairly well looked after on my last posting.

Good points to consider..am always interested in a start up school, but one can never quite be sure what direction it will take in the end.

Cheers.
PsyGuy

On that note

Post by PsyGuy »

Depending on your EU citizenship you may have an easier time getting a work authorization, but its not always long term or guaranteed. It will likely be much easier for you then it was for me.

The money is better then average, but depending where you came from its nothing special. Its basically a local package, and as an admin I make "about" what they are offering for a teacher, and although i live in Copenhagen and im doing OK financially, im not able to live the high life, (taxes here are very high, but provide very strong social services).

Lastly, sunrise is at about 8:00am, and sun set happens at about 3:00pm, during the long winter. It doesnt leave a lot of "day" time to do anything.
asabagel

Aarhus Academy

Post by asabagel »

It's great to see that AAGE is being talked about! I work at the new school and I was hoping to clear up a couple points of confusion I saw in earlier postings.
We are actually a non-profit school, though we do have new facilities and great resources, we have a great development department that have done a wonderful job at raising money for our school. You can read more about our sponsors and staff on our website!

I understand where you get the idea of a 'corporate' school. Long story short: AAGE is the result of a two to three year cooperation of bigger business, the local university, and the municipality. Basically, there was a drop in foreign talent between business and research at the university, so some top people got together and decided that a new international school, that was geared for the IB, and that offered a kindergarten would be in order. So AAGE was born with some big supporters.

We understand that Aarhus is NOT Copenhagen, but that doesn't mean that the international children can't have the same quality of education. Aarhus is a small and quaint city of 300,000. Though taxes and weather can be discouraging for some, it all boils down to personal choice, and I actually enjoy the culture and aesthetic that Aarhus offers. I am an EU citizen so the move wasn't too much of a hassle.

AAGE is not head-hunting, we have never offered incentives or bonuses. Our expat packages are still being worked on since we will be hiring new teachers to start in August when we open our PYP and MYP areas. We are happy to hire foreigners (for example myself) and our openings are posted on Search Associates. We will be attending the London fair and job inquiries can be sent to jobs@aarhusacademy.dk, we would be happy to hear from you!
figure8

Post by figure8 »

Nice to get some clarification..and an insiders pespective :)

Cheers.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I saw your non-profit filing with the municipality, my statement was more regarding the atmosphere at the school being run more like a for profit then a non-profit, then an actual legal interpretation.

You sound like an administrator, selling your school, and there is nothing wrong with that. I dont buy the "your not recruiting" claim (since you readily admit you advertise on Search). Several teachers at our school have been approached regarding working at your school, and I myself had a brief conversation with your school, it was a pretty good sales pitch is the consensus.

You might not want to call them incentives or bonuses, maybe you would prefer it just as a "competitive salary". Its really just all money at the end of the day.

Your right its all about personal choice, some people want a quieter lifestyle, but it doesnt change the conclusion that there really isnt anything to do in Aarhus, which has nothing to do about the availability of education for students, but on the lifestyle expectations of potential teachers.
scherzo

Post by scherzo »

At a meet-the-board meeting I attended last year, the Aarhus Academy
board in waiting likened their actions with regard to the existing
International School of Aarhus (ISAa) to a 'hostile takeover'. ISAa
was founded in 2003, as part of Interskolen, a Danish private
school. At present it teaches the IGCSE curriculum for middle school
kids and the International Primary Curriculum, but there have
also been periods when it has worked towards IB Certification. It has
90 English language pupils. In November 2010 an apparently
self-appointed 'independent board of the new ISAa' (also styled 'the
interim board', and with exactly the same seven members as the current
AAGE board, including a political candidate and a golf course
developer) issued a press release saying that ISAa was 'ready to leave
the nest' and that the independent board would be finding a new site
and taking over the school's management. This was news to the elected
Interskolen board with responsibility for ISAa who had agreed only to
cooperate in principle with the interim board. Following an AGM in
March 2011, the Interskolen board decided for a number of reasons -
including a lack of clarity on fees, location, staff, and funding -
not to hand over responsibility for their school without further
guarantees. The interim board simply set up a new school, AAGE, in
direct competition with ISAa. Until last week AAGE consisted of a
couple of teachers and a handful of kindergarten children. But it is
aggressively marketing itself as an alternative to ISAa at a time when
economic conditions mean it will be difficult for one international
school to survive in Aarhus let alone two. This fact was recognized by
ISAa's homeroom teachers who handed in their resignations en masse
last week as they were worried about job security at ISAa which they
felt was losing the marketing war. This leaves ISAa unable to provide
any schooling next year. It is a disaster for pupils midway through
their two year IGCSEs, since AAGE intends to go the IB route (and
indeed has an interestingly biased comparison of IGCSE versus IB on
its web site), although at present it is only an applicant for
certification; it has no PYP or MYP accreditation. ISAa's monthly fees
(with a cpr number) for next year would be DKK 2,900 while AAGE middle
school will be DKK 4,800. For some parents that's too much, leaving
pupils with no affordable English language tuition, and no IGCSE
tuition at all. AAGE has based its seemingly ambitious growth figures
on its sponsors' continued expansion and there being significant
demand for IB education in Aarhus. If these don't materialize,
international pupils in Aarhus may have no school at all.
figure8

Post by figure8 »

I was not too impressed with this school at the London fair. I had put an interview request slip in their file and received a nice note on expensive cardstock asking me to come up to their desk. When I arrived (behind a line up, which required some wait time, despite having the invite..several of us had one it seemed) I was told that the position was filled. When I asked why they bothered placing a note in my file they explained how it felt it so much nicer to let candidates know face to face as they felt the note system was 'impersonal' and not so 'nice'..I had to bite my tongue, but in retrospect wish I had told them the note/ticket system is in place so no one's time is wasted. They seemed very green to how the whole job fair system worked. There was a bit of a buzz going around among candidates about how irritating that was!
PsyGuy

Developments

Post by PsyGuy »

Several of our teachers that were approached earlier in the year, have consistently said, that the school is big on "talk", ideas, concepts, and plans; but very little as far as action, and implementation. They just dont seem to know "HOW" to do things. In my experience they will DBM (Death By Meetings) when the money runs out.

There is no way the town of Aarhus has a market for 2 new international schools that serve the same student populations. They could do separate PYP and MYP, but they would be in a loosing battle when competing for students.
mollymillions

Post by mollymillions »

Is there any more up to date information about the school? The most recent review is a bit old now and states that the school is on the verge of collapse unless things change.
musobabe

Post by musobabe »

Hi molly
I have sent you a PM. Let me know if it doesn't work and if you let me have an email I can give you lots more information.
Cheers