Saigon South International School

Rob

Post by Rob »

The school pays in all US dollars. The school assists you in opening up a US dollar account at VietCom Bank (the national bank). You can withdraw the money whenever you desire (in US dollars). When you use their ATM cards, you withdraw local currency at the current rates.

Rob
PsyGuy

*Sigh*

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont agree with Calcidagore experience, its not an elite school, low first tier at best.

I tend to ignore cheerleaders for a school, they either have an agenda or theyre admins.

They pay in USD, in many asian countries you can have at the bank both local currency accounts and USD/GBP/EURO accounts as well. You will pay a conversion fee, when you withdraw your USD in Dong. Which actually costs you more as your going to be doing a lot more business in the local currency.
Walter

"Sigh Gone"

Post by Walter »

"its not an elite school, low first tier at best..."
Yet another of your absurd distinctions. In a previous posting you already demonstrated your ignorance of this school when you referred to the present head as male when demonstrably she is female, an interim, and one of the most respected and well known figures in international education. You have NO idea about Saigon South.
Meantime I like this line from the page before: "Personally I would pass on this school..." Dave, the idea that Saigon South would even think of offering you a job is one of the more spectacular examples of chutzpah.
For the original poster: with the decline of ISHMC since the takeover by Cognita, Saigon South is almost certainly the best option for teachers (and kids) in the city and well worth considering.
BobbyBamboo

Post by BobbyBamboo »

[quote="Rob"]The school pays in all US dollars. The school assists you in opening up a US dollar account at VietCom Bank (the national bank). You can withdraw the money whenever you desire (in US dollars). When you use their ATM cards, you withdraw local currency at the current rates.

Rob[/quote]

Thanks. I was wondering since some of the other schools are going to pay in 100% local currency, or they are at least trying to go to 100% local currency from what I hear. Surprising they use a local bank and not one of the international branded banks.
Rob

Post by Rob »

When I was at SSIS, the reason given why SSIS uses VietCom bank and not an international bank is the guarantee made to the school that US dollars could be withdrawn at any time. There would always be an ample supply of US dollars in this particular government bank.

I can only speak from my own experience there. I liked SSIS. It may not be a top tier school there now, but in HCM, I really think it is the best.

Good luck in making your choice.

Rob
PsyGuy

*Sigh*

Post by PsyGuy »

The interim head is temporary, and my understanding the preferred candidate for the permanent position is male, and the previous head was male, and you know your just right. Thanks for the correction, and updated information.

No Saigon South is not the best choice for teachers, the British school and Australian schools are the 1st tier schools. I would agree that South is better then IS HCMC but that still leaves it in the second tier schools. Classifying a schools qality relative to other schools isnt an exercise in rank ordering schools from best to worst, their are objective standards that a top tier school needs to meet as well. Being third best doesnt mandate you be placed in the 1st tier (or any tier for that matter).
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

While on the subject of SSIS does anyone know if they provide annual flights home over the summer? Their benefits package only talks about leave, not flights.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

They provide flights at the beginning and end of contract.
aisha

Post by aisha »

The Search form says flights are yearly.
Walter

Sighren

Post by Walter »

No Saigon South is not the best choice for teachers, the British school and Australian schools are the 1st tier schools.

Well Dave, I don't work at any of these schools, but the information I get is that you are off target again. Let's see if any teachers who really know will put in their two penn'orth.

Have you noticed a difference in the way people respond though? Others express opinions as just that. You present opinions as facts.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

They provide flights at the beginning and end of contract. Only your first contract is for 2 years after that you get a one year contract and flight at the beginning end of each year (since you have a one year contract). You can try to negotiate a yearly flight for your first contract. Its always possible they changed their policy as well. I only reply with what I know.

My experiences are not subject to popular consensus. I respond with facts as I know them, thats why this website exists to bring about more contributers and different experiences and observations.
SKMNVMAH

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Fact-- They provide flights at the end of every school year.

Fact --PsyGuy is once again wrong.