Saigon South International School

ausexpat

Saigon South International School

Post by ausexpat »

All,

Wondering if anyone can provide an up to date picture of what this school is like to work at?

My teaching partner and I are considering it as an option but the reviews have been mixed.

Tnx
hallier

Post by hallier »

A few years ago, it had a really bad reputation.

However, in recent times, it seems to have got its act together considerably. I know of some teachers who have recently gone there and they seem happy. It is a little out of town - which for some may be an advantage, as life is a little less hectic.

I do not know too much about the package - however, I think for HCMC, it is pretty competitive.
matt

Post by matt »

I have also heard that life is pretty good over there. Had a couple friends relocate from a lower tier South American school to Saigon South and they can't say enough good things about it.
SKMNVMAH

Post by SKMNVMAH »

SSIS just completed a WASC review in March 2011 and was given great reviews. There are three divisional buildings on a large 6 hectare campus. The news being HS which opened in Jan. 2011.

The salary and benefits package for teachers is very competitive for Vietnam. Nationality caps (20%) are in place to ensure diversity of the student population and all students must pass the admission screen in order to gain entrance.

By license SSIS cannot accept Vienamese students in grades 1-9. Dual nationals are allowed.

Q7 has become a very desirable area for expats to live, quite a bit calmer than the rest of HCMC.

It is a very different school than it was 5 years ago
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

I have worked in Vietnam but not at Saigon South, but would have liked to work there. The teachers are happy. The students seem to be lovely and the pay is great for Vietnam. I would definitely go there if I got the opportunity.
movieturtle

Post by movieturtle »

[quote="SKMNVMAH"]SSIS just completed a WASC review in March 2011 and was given great reviews. There are three divisional buildings on a large 6 hectare campus. The news being HS which opened in Jan. 2011.

The salary and benefits package for teachers is very competitive for Vietnam. Nationality caps (20%) are in place to ensure diversity of the student population and all students must pass the admission screen in order to gain entrance.

By license SSIS cannot accept Vienamese students in grades 1-9. Dual nationals are allowed.

Q7 has become a very desirable area for expats to live, quite a bit calmer than the rest of HCMC.

It is a very different school than it was 5 years ago[/quote]

I see that SSIS has a MS/HS theatre position available for next school year but upon researching I see that currently the only drama class is currently an elective in 7th grade. Does anyone know what this position will entail?

Also it seems that there are some admin changes happening. Any ideas if this is a good or not so good thing?

Thanks for your help.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

They are expanding their fine arts program. Drama will be an elective throughout secondary. A strong emphasis on an annual theater production list, which is what i hear the real focus is. Parents want some photos of their kids in plays.

It depends on who they hire for the admin team, their looking to poach someone established on the IS circuit, but thats what everyone tries to do. SS can do it, the question is if they will. Their is a faction that wants to bring more people directly from the States. The struggle for SS is going to be whether they want to be an "international" school or an "american" school.
movieturtle

Post by movieturtle »

Do you teach there now? How is the life in HCMC and the school itself?
dano1

Post by dano1 »

Hi Movie Turlte

PsyGuy doesn't live in Saigon. He's an administrator of this forum.

As for your Q's, I live in Saigon, but don't work at SSIS. All I can comment on is the city.

It's a great place to live. There are lots of things happening for singles and families. With the package I get (which would be similar to SSIS), I have a lovely house, a nanny, tonnes of OS travel and money sent home. Pollution is here (but not pollution like in China, HK, Bangkok, Indo, etc). People are lovely, it's reasonably safe. Good food. If the school checks out, it's worth a try.
movieturtle

Post by movieturtle »

Great thank you!
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

I have heard the school is going through some changes right now and some teachers are being let go. This is supposed to be a good thing but that always leads to a bad work environment. The package isn't great but word is that they are looking at increasing it for next year.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I am not an admin for this forum, and never have been. I do not live in Saigon, I havent worker for the school, but have worked at the school.

Its a great city, but its like any other asian major metropolitan city. The compensation package is Ok (there are better, but compared to a lot of people youd be doing very well). You can live a very nice lifestyle and there are a number of social activities for both singles and families. There isnt really anything signifigant to see tourist wise you cant do in a weekend, but Thailand is right next door, and its not uncommon for people to fly there for a long weekend. There is a very nice mix of eastern culture and western convenience. Sorry, if i dont sound more enthusiastic, again its a lot like any other major asian city. Personally I would pass on the school but if you were a newbie, it would be a good starter/entry position.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Saigon is brilliant. Highly recommend it for singles, couples and families with young children (0-10 years old). The place could get a bit boring for middle school age children. Once they are in the DP, then they should be OK.

SSIS is a decent school. As far as Saigon goes, it is top tier. SSIS, BIS and AIS (the Aussie one) all pay roughly the same amount. All considered top tier for the city.

Vietnam is an interesting country, although not my favorite. However, there is plenty to see and do and the region is quite interesting, too.

Disregard what PsyGuy says at all times. He probably has never been to Saigon, anyway.

Should be a great place to spend a few years.

Good luck!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was at SSIS a couple years ago for a year contract (my choice). I loved it, and regret in some ways not staying longer. I went there because my first experience in an international school was during the Vietnam War (I was teaching there from 1970 to 1975), and to go back and teach there was a real eye-opener.

The admin is super. Colleagues are helpful. The campus is great. The work load is very reasonable. The package is pretty good, and the location of the school and housing in Phu My Hung is probably the only peaceful part of the city where you can actually take leisurely strolls. I saved money, and that's with still renting my apartment in Singapore to go back to on alternate weeends. Great experience!

One drawback- I've heard that inflation in the last year is quite high, which lowers your savings potential. However, it's worth it nevertheless.

Rob
BobbyBamboo

Post by BobbyBamboo »

Does anyone know if SSIS is paying staff in dollars, local currency, or a combination of the two?