Glenelg International School of Abu Dhabi

Portia

GSAD

Post by Portia »

You wouldn't have to SEARCH too far to find an agency which is sluggish to strike paying schools off its books. The schools, not us, are the clients.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Thank you. That's the one.
ronnie_w

Re: Glenelg International School of Abu Dhabi

Post by ronnie_w »

I know this is an old(ish) post, but I came across it while searching the net for reviews of this school. I'm in the education field myself but I'm posting here to find out about the quality and standard of education at this school. I have friends who live in Abu Dhabi and are considering enrolling their children at this school and have asked me to find out if that's a wise move.

Reading the aforementioned, it would appear to be a mixed bag at best, is that correct ?.

In particular, I would be grateful if someone could shed light on:

1 - What curriculum does the school follow ?.
2 - What examination do the students do in their final year, eg GCSE, A-Levels, local UAE high school national exam ?.
3 - What percentage (even a rough estimate, or an educated guess !) of school graduates actually make it to tertiary education ?

I would be grateful if anyone can help with those questions or share their thoughts on the quality/standard of education in this school.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Hi ronnie_w,

As a former staff member of this school, I will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. It is a U.S. curriculum combined with extra compulsary subjects specified by UAE Ministry - this has resulted in long school days and a heavy work-load for students.

2. Students are offered AP course and exams as well as UAE Ministry exams. When I left, the school's curriculum had not been accredited by the US body that is responsible, so those not taking AP would only graduate with UAE-recognised qualifications. You will need to enquire directly with school administration to check as to whether this has changed.

3. You will need to contact the school counsellor to get these statistics.

BSAK and the American Community School both have internationally accredited exams at Grade 12 as do other schools which have been accredited to deliver the IB curriculum.

You are correct in the assessment you have made.
maggiemay

Post by maggiemay »

I have an interview with GSAD. Does anyone have any recent information about the school? Have the working conditions improved? Is it more stable?