Glenelg International School of Abu Dhabi

Teachergirl

Glenelg International School of Abu Dhabi

Post by Teachergirl »

I am thinking of accepting a job at Glenelg International School of Abu Dabi. Can anyone shed any light on this school for me please.

Is it a yes or a no.

Thank you

Teachergirl
PsyGuy

Short Answer

Post by PsyGuy »

Well I dont have a short answer. I cant say for you because i dont know your current status or position, what they offered, etc but I'd say "No". I wouldnt work in the middle east accept for one school in Abu Dhabi and Glenelg isnt that school.
Portia

Glenelg School Abu Dhabi

Post by Portia »

Dear Teachergirl,

Read the school and director reviews on Glenelg from this site, Desertspeak (Dubai forum), and Abu Dhabi Woman Forum (under schools thread). After reading what previous employees have said about GSAD, you should be well informed enough to steer clear of it.
After opening in 2008, with approx 50 teaching staff from UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Lebanon, only 3 staff from Western nations remain. Most teachers left as soon as they realised that, with all their expertise, amazing energy and goodwill, their desire to make this into a real centre of education was to no avail. The high wages (much higher than what they offer now) and the fun of living in Abu Dhabi were just not worth the agony of being forced into professional malpractice on a daily basis. It is a toxic and heart-breaking place.
If you think it is worth undertaking an interview, ask about staff turnover and the reasons for this. Wait for blame to be placed on dozens and dozens of "negative" staff members who all coincidentally thought the management of GSAD was totally incompetent.
PS. GSAD is not an international school.
Last edited by Portia on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

wow thank you for the replies.

Portia, you seem to have good knowledge of the school, are you an ex employee. Could you give more information about some of the specific issues.

I will join the site and check out the reviews.
Portia

GSAD

Post by Portia »

Hi Teachergirl,

All the issues are covered on the sites mentioned above from perspectives of many former employees as well as some parents.
In brief, they include: unqualified principal with no experience of teaching American curriculum, enforced grade fixing, verbal abuse of staff and students by management, endemic culture of spying , "American Curriculum" not accredited by any US board of studies (thus rendering diplomas worthless outside UAE), dishonouring of staff contracts - benefits offered in writing greatly reduced or not paid, flouting of UAE labour laws regarding hours and payment of wages, flights, end of service before staff leave the country. This is just the tip of the iceberg...
I am so sorry to be the bearer of bad news about GSAD.
Abu Dhabi is a great place to experience. If you are really keen on working in this part of the world, why not apply to the two reputable schools on the island run by communities (ACS and BSAK) if you want to work in a healthy, functioning academic institutuion and have your written contract actually delivered.
Last edited by Portia on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Thanks Portia

Managed to find all except for Abu Dhabi Woman . Indeed this school seems to be a nightmare.

How do they manage to recruit teachers year on year and when people realise they arent going to get what they were promised do they just up and leave?
Portia

GSAD

Post by Portia »

Lure of high wages is reason for most to accept work here. School looks terrific on the surface. Many good teachers ignore warnings thinking they can handle it. Many simply do not return after mid-year break. Many are fired on the spot for disagreeing with the principal. Teachers are viewed according to the famous ENS model as "a bag of onions", dispensable and extremely easily replaced.
PsyGuy

Two reasons

Post by PsyGuy »

Well three really, either:

1) The money (they can suffer through anything if they are paid enough, and you can bank some serious money afte a year).

2) They can't do any better and are desperate for any job. I've had an experience where a teacher had a sexual offense conviction and couldn't get a job anywhere but 3rd tier schools, and only if they weren't too careful about doing a background check.

3) They are newbies who think the can change a school from the inside.

I'm sure there is a small group of those with other reasons, but those are the majority reasons.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Thanks for this, I am certainly glad I asked the question.

Do you actually work there Portia. I only ask because you you said " is reason for most to accept work here".
Portia

GSAD

Post by Portia »

Did actually work there.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Thank you for the info you have given me.

First hand accounts cannot be ignored, this place needs a wide berth.

I hope you have now found a nicer place to work, good luck.
Portia

GSAD

Post by Portia »

You're more than welcome. I do not enjoy putting up unpleasant information about a school. The only reason I am speaking out to warn others is the memory of all my excellent colleagues whose lives, and families' lives were so adversely affected by our association with this place. All are now all working in better places, in the UAE and abroad, and much the wiser and warier of International Schools without well-established good reputations. Good luck with your search. Working away from your home country is a priceless experience - for you and your students. Just make sure to find the schools which are founded on principles of respect rather than exploitation. For such principles, examine the principal very closely!
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Portia

Sorry to be a nuisance, but did you find the job at Glenelg yourself or via an agency.

I notice that they are recruiting via agencies who either seem blissfully unaware or the agencies are ignoring the truth themselves.

People seem to post most warnings on the paid part of this site which many will not join as you can never be too sure whether these sites are worth the money. Many of them are a waste of time. I have now joined and the posts are shocking. I was looking at Higher Colleges of Technology but people post lots of negative stuff on public sites for them.

I am just worried that others won't be as lucky as me.
Portia

GSAD

Post by Portia »

My colleagues and I were all recruited by a large international agency. Many complaints were made about the management of GSAD in writing and some directly in meetings with associates. One associate stated bluntly of the principal "She doesn't like teachers does she?". Despite being well aware of the dissatisfaction of teachers at the school, the agency continues to recruit for them. Business is business.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Portia

I have been approached by such an agency and this is clearly disgraceful.

As you are completely anonymous and I have no way of knowing who you are would it be possible for you to share the name of the agency either explicitly or implicitly. You could send me details on teachergirl at the hotmail site dot co and dot uk. If anyone else wants to share any information privately they could do the same. I am already coninced but if this is the same agency I will have a quiet word with the CEO, or perhaps even a loud word.

I am just thankul that there are professional teachers like you to help others. As a female teacher going to the Middle east I need to be even more careful than some.