Emirates National School

milofischer

Emirates National School

Post by milofischer »

Hi there. Does anyone have any first hand information on Emirates National School in Abu Dhabi? Or of the Renson administrators?

They want to interview me, and any input would really be helpful, especially after the review I read.

Thanks much!
garnettulip

Post by garnettulip »

Hi,

There is already another conversation open on Emirates National School. It is currently on page 1 -- you will DEFINITELY want to check it out.
scottr

ENS

Post by scottr »

Done lots of independant research.difficult to tell if school is really as bad as is stated. Quotes like "absolute hell" "worst school on the planet" "teachers were called onions cos you can always get more from the market" "teachers cry on the way to school on the bus" and "like an outpatients clinic" seem to be the norm. Knew a teacher who worked there 3 years ago who hated it-often complaining about everything under the sun on the phone- but unreliable as suffered a nervous breakdown and is no longer in teaching.
School facilities are excellent,some of the best i've researched,but i personally wouldn't work there, lots of people breaking contracts in the middle of the night (something i find despicable), school will never improve if people break contract.Anyways-there is a very long forum on this on another page. take it all with a pinch of salt. if EVERYONE who worked at this school felt this way,there would be an awful lot more written (as presumably the message has got round about international schools review) I reality,i've only read about 15/20 teachers reviewing this school as bad. there must be an awful lot of other teachers out there who feel the school is ok.
if i wanted to work in Abu Dhabi i would give it a shot and i would fulfil my 2 year contract. however, don't take my advice as law, i've never worked for the school.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

[quote]i've only read about 15/20 teachers reviewing this school as bad. there must be an awful lot of other teachers out there who feel the school is ok.[/quote]

One, two or even three negative posts could be taken with a pinch of salt. 15/20? Come on!!

I have been researching schools for a year now and this one would come so far down my list of choices as to have dropped off the end.
scottr

ENS

Post by scottr »

What I meant was,more than 15/20 teachers have worked at this school.There are loads of teachers out there who have made no comment on this school
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

When businesses of any size receive a complaint, they figure that for every complaint they receive, there were 25 others with the same problem who didn't bother.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Scott if your views reflect your experience in the international schools circuit you're very inexperienced. What exactly do excellent school facilities tell you about a school? Precious little. Your dismissive summary of the teacher who was unreliable and ended up with a nervous breakdown tells me more about you than the other teacher. You can't see the wood for the trees.

In my experience I would say that it's unlikely that most of the teachers who've broken contract feel happy doing it. Its not like they set out to work overseas with the intent of breaking contract. They're well aware of the implications of this action. It would be very interesting to know how many of them work overseas again and if they ever break contract again. The only people you should direct your bile at are those repeatedly break contract.

You may find it despicable that people break contract but there again I doubt you've ever been in their position. It sounds to me that like the rest of the little clique on this BB that don't like the bad news you're shooting the messenger rather than acknowledging the problem.
specialed

Post by specialed »

I'm a positive person, and I've not heard many good things about the UAE in general (teaching there I mean).

I think I may be one of the ones who you are referring too when you said they don't like bad news. Of course I don't like bad news. If you do like bad news, you are a pretty sad person (I am not referring to anyone in particular). I would love to know about a school before I decide to work there, both good and bad. How can you make an informed decision without knowing both? What I don't want to see is nothing but negative. What about positive experiences?

About breaking contract. There are lots of reasons to break contract, and some are much better reasons than others. It's hard to be mad at someone who is incredibly miserable at school who breaks contract. Repeated breaking contracts, that's another story. I do have a problem with someone who breaks contract and then goes out and names and calls everyone they disagree with, a stupid SOB. They are not the majority, but they do post occasionally

Let me make one thing very, very clear though, I have never said that someone with a bad experience should not post. I have never, ever said that, nor have I implied that a person should not post a bad experience. I know that some of you don't want to believe that, but hey I said it again. I don't like the personal attacks (ISR can do something about that) and I would love to see more people post their experiences if they had a good one (ISR does not control that part), but if you had a bad experience, by all means post the facts. So if that makes me a part of the no bad reviews clique, well people need to learn how to read and actually pay attention to what people post.
ally

Breaking Contract

Post by ally »

I worked for ENS and broke contract. I had never broken contract with a school before nor since. It was a biggie for me. I only had 5 months to go but what was happening at the school was unacceptable, both morally and professionally.
I have never written a negative report about ENS but I do monitor this site to make sure that someone is letting others know about the school.

I believe the 15/20 negative reports are just the tip of the iceberg not the reaction of a few.

I tend to live by the saying "If you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all" but... to stay silent on the subject of this school would be wrong, for the children, parents and teachers who are badly treated by the administration.

I worked very hard at this school and tried to improve the conditions there.The admin are just not intertested, they do not trust or respect their staff. I was actually aware that this school had some negative feedback before I started but believed that I could turn this around. I took the position on with this being part of the challenge.

Breaking contract was difficult. It's still difficult, don't underestimate this.
specialed

Post by specialed »

It sounds like you did your best and I wish you the best at your next school! As I said in my last post, I am a positive person and I don't see me even interviewing for this school or any school in this country.

Like I said, I don't have a problem if someone posts negative reviews of a school, as long as you give the facts, try (emphasis on try) to be balanced, and don't start telling me that George Smith is a bully and everyone including his mother hates him, Sam Smith is a SOB, Sally Smith is an incompetent human being, Linda Smith is gay, etc. all in the same review (I just made up names as I've never even been to the UAE). Let me briefly demonstrate what I mean about balance. At my school, I realize that not everyone has the same experience and that some may not like the school. However, no one at my school has ever had difficulty with visas that was the school's fault (Visas are very easy to get here). I have seen people just give blanket 1 and 2's, yet I have never heard of an instance where anyone was unhappy about the visa situation. If you couldn't stand the principal, okay a 1 or a 2 - but a 1 or a 2 for visas. How? That just shows me that the poster just wanted to slam everything and not put any thought into the review. How would anyone outside the school know this? I notice in the "Who wrote these reviews" section they state that an overly positive could be an administrator posting. Yes, it very well could be. What about an overly negative review? Could it be from an past employee with an ax to grind? Yes it could be. ISR left out that part didn't they? Why?

Thanks for your input.
sorted

Post by sorted »

I say this to help, but it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself in to taking a job there when you deep down know it will not be good, and are therefore looking for reassurances from others.

I don't think you can ignore the mountains of evidence that stack up against this place
agricola

Raising the standard

Post by agricola »

If teachers continue to sign contracts with unethical and abusive schools there will be no incentive for them to improve their behaviour. Do you give high marks to students that don't do the work? If you did, would they improve their performance? No, of course not.

How much is your education and professionalism worth to you?

Avoid this place like the plague. Signing a contract with them will confirm the wide spread belief that the pool of teachers is endless and therefore free to be abused.
scottr

ENS

Post by scottr »

I was trying to get across the point that IF a school has HUGE losses of staff (which people seem to indicate with ENS) that 15/20 people would not be a great deal of people given the circumstances.
I've heard some really bad things about this school since last posting. Apparently, the buildings are good and facilities are good, but teachers are asked to do stuff well outside their job description. Ignore my previous posts, this school sounds like the worst that is out there.
Crespo

ENS

Post by Crespo »

Agree with previous post (apart from the 15-20 complaints not being a great deal!) All my research concludes that this could be the worst school in the world! Is there any way of combining this thread with the other so we are not contsantly having to talk between the two threads?
TTB

Post by TTB »

MY GOD, ENS is totally delusional!!!

I've just had a look at the CIS website and the ENS recruitment advert says that we are looking for an IB English A2/B teacher, along with other IB & PYP staff. They've also posted our curricula as 'IB' and 'PYP'.

You must be joking. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE IB HERE!!!!!

TO ADMIN who are undoubtedly reading this: I wonder what they would say at the IB office if they were to find out that you are misrepresenting their organisation at this school . . .