International School of Tanganyika, Tanzania

aphid

International School of Tanganyika, Tanzania

Post by aphid »

By their very nature, reviews on any site, including International School Review, tend to lean towards the negative. When we are happy and content we rarely take the time to say so. When we are unhappy, the reaction is often different.

With that in mind I have read a review about International School of Tanganyika which is of such a concern that I am put off from even applying. The school itself seems fine, but housing and personal safety are raised as significant issues.

If anyone has direct experience of this school and/or location I would welcome your views on whether or not to take an application further.

Regards, Aphid
joseph30

Post by joseph30 »

Last edited by joseph30 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
aphid

Post by aphid »

Thanks for your comment.
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

I am currently working at IST and have been for a number of years. I would disagree with the first ISR posting that stressed Dar crime so much. This place is far from perfect - ain't they all? - but crime and violence really isn't on my radar. I don't have kids and do get out and about, both in Dar, Zanzibar and in the country. Of course there are muggings, and certain parts of town or beaches which I do not go to at night. That being said, if you are using typical common sense you should be okay. One does not see guns regularly (aside from the antiques security guards carry) and Tanzanians in general are pretty mellow and easy-going people not looking for trouble.

Housing here is a bit of an issue. If you are used to comfortable and large housing, this might not be the posting for you. The problem is that you just don't know what you'll get. Some housing is nice and new (and more is being built), but some is also old, small and crappy. The norm seems to be that after their first year new teachers enter the housing lottery and move into something nicer.

Life in Dar is chill if you are easy-going and don't bring too many expectations. Most things are good, but there is lots of dysfunction in Tanzania (and as a result the school). There's a good vibe at the school, and if you like the ocean, outdoors and warm weather, then it's a great posting to consider.
hallier

Post by hallier »

I have friends who worked there just a few years ago. They stayed for many years and loved it.

Sure, you have to be sensible and mindful of your personal security. But they did not hesitate in recommending the school to me.
aphid

Post by aphid »

Thank you for your reassuring comments. They are greatly appreciated.
MamfeMan

Post by MamfeMan »

I teach here now. Dar is the bomb and the school is easy-going and the students are wonderful. Don't go for walks with your 1500 dollar school-supplied MacBook Pro and you'll probably be alright.
aphid

Post by aphid »

Thanks. a Mac school, huh.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Mac's are AWESOME, best computers ever (well Sonys would be tied if the didnt run windows). I placed flowers at the apple store, on the day Steve Jobs died.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I lived in Tanzania, but not as a teacher, for a few years. I would highly recommend it. I’ve heard the school is great, too. Dar is a pretty interesting place and is so close to amazing places to visit like Zanzibar, the parks up north and the parks in the south. It is even more fun if you speak the lingua franca, Swahili. Swahili is an incredibly easy language to learn. I would also recommend learning a few of the tribal greetings of the people that you work closely with. Nothing will ingratiate you more to an mchaaga than greeting them in Kichaaga. Dar always seemed pretty safe to me as long as I took practical precautions. I always rode the local daladalas (a minivan used for public transportation) and never had an issue. There is nothing more exciting than having to climb through the window of a van to get a seat on one of these deathtraps.

While I’m pretty happy living in a more developed country right now, I’d love to get back to Tanzania someday.

Good luck getting a job at IST.