Hong Kong Schools

ajs9791

Hong Kong Schools

Post by ajs9791 »

I'd like some advice on Hong Kong schools as I would like to work in Hong Kong for my next post.

I have been reading through the forum and review sections and I'm wanting advice on which are the best international schools.

From reading through it seems:

- HKIS used to be great, but now perhaps not so good.
- CIS is highly recommended, but the one review talks about curriculum issues.
- Hong Kong Academy is the only salary scale I could find and I'd be on around US$45,000-$47,000 (4-5 years experience), not sure if this is before or after tax.

I would be looking for jobs in the primary/elementary section of the school. I am PYP trained and experienced and would prefer to work in a PYP school, but that will depend on the school.

Which schools should I be looking at applying at in terms of it being a 'good school' and package (housing especially I'm thinking since that part is expensive in HK)?

Thanks
calliope

Post by calliope »

Sorry, but have to disagree with Psyguy. Ive lived and taught in HK for many years, and there are some absolutely crap schools there. Because places in schools are very hard to get, some schools are merely 'holding pens' until a place comes up in a relatively decent school or a child's English improves enough for parents to try and enrol them elsewhere.
The school fees and debentures would buy a small house elsewhere.
Some so called 'International Schools' employ cheaply - a person with a degree but no teaching qualification - and the teaching quality is sometimes poor.
Educationally, the whole place is a shemozzle....kids with any kind of learning problem are often simply given more work to do.
There's a lot in the South China Morning Post recently about just what a shemozzle the place is educationally....places like Shanghai, Singapore and Malaysia are making HK look bad with their forward looking education departments. the HK Education Department is run by bureacratic neanderthals who can't make a decision ( just like the Principals in local HK schools).
calliope

Post by calliope »

Many schools around the world are wanting to adopt their own 'HK model'?
Can you enlighten a bit more about this, what model exactly, what schools?
calliope

Post by calliope »

I beg to disagree, they are paying lip service to moving towards the British Model of IB, in reality this can't happen because most local teachers are unable to teach unless they have a textbook to follow.
Are you referring to the International schools? Which ones? The ESF schools? The Funded schools? The non funded religious schools?

OK, Ive just read your post where you admit you've never actually taught in HK anywhere. I have to say, you are giving out a lot of misinformation about HK - I'm a permanent resident there and have taught in 8 schools over the years. I don't recognise any of them in the comments you make.
calliope

Post by calliope »

Yes Psyguy, I've seen a few 'consultants' in HK. Most of them have no idea what theyre doing and are unaware of the limitations/cultural differences betwenn where they've come from and HK mentality. 'Snake oil salesmen' is what theyre commonly called.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Calliope,

So, can you name some good schools for us? I teach across the border in China and am looking to get a job in HK in the next few years. Which schools should I be looking at? I routinely check HKIS, CIS, HK Academy and Canadian. Are there other schools that I should be looking at? I've looked into ESF but it sounds like they want a pound of flesh. Not sure that is for me because I have a youngster at home.

Also, if you name schools, can you tell us why you like them? Pay? Housing? Students? Admin?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
calliope

Post by calliope »

Psyguy, I haven't had a 'soured' experience at all, I don't know why you say this, nor do I seek to be some kind of 'expert' on HK schools, I answer honestly, that's all.
Hong Kong schools are what they are and I accept this, had I not, I would not have such a long teaching history there. Please don't try and 'categorise' me into something that fits into your view.

Other poster who asks re HK. ALL schools in HK require a 'pound of flesh' - most school hours are long, and parents (especially high fee paying Chinese parents) EXPECT their kids to do well, to have a lot of outside school hours help, to be available for parent interviews whenever they see fit, to provide lots of Extra Curricular Activities.

You need to be a qualified teacher (any school that takes unqualified teachers is not one you'll want to be in, believe me) often to have a Masters Degree and to have recent relevant experience in the relevant teaching field. Stear clear of the Language Centres and kindergartens that bring in many teachers and put them in apartments where they have to share.
I hesitate to name particular schools as 'good ones' - but the most prestigious ones would be, Chinese International, HKIS, Canadian International, Kellett School (sometimes known as British Int) Australian International, ESF schools.
Stear clear of any with 'odd' sounding names, Funful, Creative, etc etc.
Look on the fee paying section of this site for more info.
HK is often called the place where people wear 'golden handcuffs' they dont want to leave because of the low taxes/ability to save money - but become very jaded by living in the polluted city where people eat, shop and work only. Kids will tell you their favourite hobby is 'shopping' in HK.It can all become pretty shallow after the excitement's worn off.
Good luck!
Danda

Post by Danda »

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve heard that most HK schools are pretty demanding but that ESF schools are more demanding than usual. It sounds like your experience says otherwise and that they are all pretty equal. Thanks for that.

Your list of schools didn’t really expand much on the ones that I was already looking at. I have no intention of looking into the schools with “odd sounding names.â€