Teaching at GEMS in Abu Dhabi - What can I expect?

rossi10k

Teaching at GEMS in Abu Dhabi - What can I expect?

Post by rossi10k »

I am going into my first International Teaching Position. I will arrive in Abu Dhabi in a few weeks to start a two year contract with GEMS American Academy. I have read a few things online about GEMS teachers being overworked. Anybody have any feedback?

Also, I'm coming from a pretty rough rural school here in NC so I am hoping that either way GEMS will be a big improvement. But I was wondering about the students in Abu. Will I have to deal with apathy and discipline problems? Media overload that keeps kids too distracted to take part in School?
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

I can't answer your question too specifically, but I too came went from rural NC (Johnston County) to working for GEMS albeit in Dubai. Each school/student body has its issues, but I think you'll find the lifestyle/resources/open-mindedness/opportunities, etc. compare very favorably to where you come from.

Good luck in your first international position. If you're like us, you'll be hooked.
rossi10k

Post by rossi10k »

Thanks you so much for your feedback. I suspect you are correct. I am hoping to spend my last 15 yrs teaching abroad.
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

[quote="rossi10k"]Thanks you so much for your feedback. I suspect you are correct. I am hoping to spend my last 15 yrs teaching abroad.[/quote]

Hi there!
Any info from the inside regarding life at GAA and in Abu Dhabi in general?
Things like social life (if there is one), expat community, pay regarding average lifestyle, savings etc?
Kby

Post by Kby »

The social life in Abu Dhabi is fantastic. There is a ladies night almost every night of the week where you can drink for free! GAA is expanding quickly so there will be a lot of new hires this year so I'm sure it'll be easy to 'fit in' without feeling like a 'newbie'.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Rossi10K

I was hoping you might be able to give me some up to date information about GAA. My wife and I have been offered posotions starting in Aug 2013. Ian Deakin interviewed us, and I know he has already moved to his new position in Dubai.

Is there a pay freeze on at the moment?

General pro's and con's of working at the school?