Working in international schools - a good thing to do?

saarhfm2011

Working in international schools - a good thing to do?

Post by saarhfm2011 »

Hi there,

I am considering leaving quite a well paid 9-5 office job (in which I can also travel and work abroad) to retrain as a teacher with the intention of working in international schools as a career.

I was excited at the prospect until I found this site and have found extremely bad reviews for almost every school featured on here, usually relating to bad management, bullying of staff, corruption, poor pay and unfair dismissals.

I can assume that most people on this site are international teachers and I would therefore love to hear your opinions on the career in general. Is it a worthwhile career? Is it easy to find a good school or is it pot luck? Would you want to do it long term or only for a few years?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

I would also add that you should make sure you want to teach, period. If you don't enjoy teaching, it's not going to matter much where you live. You should decide first that you actually want to teach, then whether you want to go overseas.
saarhfm2011

Post by saarhfm2011 »

Ok thanks very much for your feedback. It seems that international teaching can, in fact, be very rewarding, given the right school...and there are some good schools out there. I also understand that I need to be fully sure about teaching as a career aside from the international perspective.

If I go ahead I intend to do the PGCE this year and fingers crossed get one of the jobs that they will give to either graduates or interns. I would most like to work in Asia, the Middle East or Africa so I think, although it won't be easy, it will be possible to get a job straight off. I understand I therefore won't do the NQT year, which could mean I end up on a lower salary coming back to a UK state school?

Anyway, thank you again for your comments. If anyone has any more to add.. any further comments are always appreciated!

Thanks.
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

I wouldn't recommend getting a job straight after a PGCE. I did mine with the intention of going overseas - I had worked as a EFL teacher before including a year teaching primary classes in a private school in Thailand. They would have taken me back or similar but for the better money and career you need the NQT year out of the way. I stayed for two years and still not so easy to get a job even though I'm in a shortage subject as so many teachers looking for jobs especially with the middle east problems. I got a good position now and looking forward to a good career now but I think after a PGCE too soon. Also I would say I tried Tefl and I found I loved teaching. To do it just for working overseas is risky as what if you hate teaching!!
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I would suggest the following :

a) Make sure you WANT to teach.

I hate to say this ( and no offense to ESL teachers ), but ESL is how you "break" into teaching abroad ( note that I did not say " international teaching " bc this phrase is reserved for teaching at an international school with a teaching license ). So if you want to try "teaching", apply to some ESL schools in Asia where there is a huge market for ESL. Try it out for a year and see whether you fare well in living abroad, dealing with culture shock while at the same time, teaching etc. Many young teachers who graduated with their teaching license ( and who have never lived abroad ) are not usually the prime candidates for the Head / Director of a school, bc they know that teaching is hard enough as a profession, let alone topping it off with culture shock, dealing with a new culture etc etc. If you decide that you REALLY actually like teaching after some experience, then get your license after.

[b]b) Get your teaching license / diploma / certificate first.[/b]

The reason for this is that most international schools only count experience POST-LICENSE. So most teachers who started off teaching ESL in Asian countries have found that their 2 years' experiences and beyond are considered "useless" because they did it before license. ESL is how you break into " teaching "...and then you get your license if you realise how much you love teaching. My advice is that if you are dabbling with the idea of teaching, just do ESL abroad for one year and then decide whether to get your license or not. Spending 2 - 5 years of ESL teaching could be a waste of time in that after that time, you should know that you love teaching abroad since you lasted over 2 years! Remember, most international schools do not count your pre-license experience.

c) You could possibly find an international teaching post in a 2nd-tier school.

If you're a new teacher who just graduated from University with your certificate and licensed this summer, you could get opportunities in 2nd-tier schools. These schools are everywhere but they mostly pop up in Asia or the Middle East. Middle Eastern schools tend to hire easily bc of the perceptions of most teachers, associated with the region. However, this is not to say that top tier schools in the Middle east will readily hire you. It can also depend on what you teach and what they are looking for. I teach a highly sought subject and that's why I have gotten a few offers from good schools. ( But I have also been teaching in the international school circuit for around 10 years...which is relatively "new" to the veterans out there ).

d) Research, research, research BEFORE you even apply to schools and accept offers.

e) As most of the posters who have stated on here, consider these questions in regards to international teaching ( especially if you are a new teacher ) :

i) Are you leaving your home country to "escape" or to discover something new and beneficial to you as a person?

ii) Are you ready to leave things that you take naturally for granted at home ( e.g. going to the post office...bc for example, going to the post office in a Middle Eastern country can be quite a hassle if the employee doesn't know how to speak English, if it's during the Ramadan month, if you are asked for " compensation " money or bribes ) ?

iii) Are you ready to sacrifice some aspects of your character, lifestyle for the host culture ( e.g. If you go to certain countries, Facebook and SKYPE are blocked. Although this may seem inconsequential to many, if you have family and your way of keeping yourself grounded is connecting with them or your friends at home, then be prepared to have a hard time when you hit culture shock...or if you want to go deeper than FB or SKYPE, what would you do if the Head of your school undermines your opinions and contributions simply bc in his own cultural beliefs that are based on Confucianism, you, the inferior, should not be giving advice to anyone above you ).

iv) Are you ready to be changed by your experience ( in both good and bad way ) ? Have you thought about the consequences of you being away for some time for people at home?
Because I can say with a fact that international teaching can be quite addictive. On the one hand, it opens up the whole world to you ( the good, the bad and the ugly ) and you come out a more fascinating, interesting and stronger person in the end. On the other hand, when you go back to your home country, you will find that you have largely changed from the people around you which can bring a sense of sadness and disconnection.

v) Are you ready to face the different education systems and practices abroad?
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

While it would be ideal for the OP to try teaching first abroad, I would caution against this. If you leave the UK, you may lose your home residency status and end up paying foreign student fees for your pgce. Plus, you may not be eligible for student loans.

Instead, I would recommend volunteering in a UK school to see if you like it.

Also, do your NQT year at home to save problems later if you want to return to teach in the UK.
Zsejanko

Re: PsyGuy

Post by Zsejanko »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I have to disagree with the view that teaching ESL is like teaching at an International School.The two are nothing alike, and schools wont count international school experience either. You will most likely end up in some private language school and not like it thinking this is what teaching is like, and it couldnt be further from the truth. This isnt to say that all ESL is like this teaching Language B at an IB school is very different then teaching ESL in a private language school.[/quote]

I definitely agree with you on that one. But the only reason as to why I suggested that the OP try teaching ESL abroad is to get the first off hand experience of actually BEING abroad AND working with the limited qualifications ( i.e. license ) that he / she has. However, one of the OPs on here suggested a better solution : Try teaching for a year in the UK first....then set out abroad.