APIS - Chiangmai or MEF International School - Izmir?

kakki81

APIS - Chiangmai or MEF International School - Izmir?

Post by kakki81 »

Hi again everyone - I've recently been contacted by both of these schools for a position. I looked through the forums and saw some good things about APIS (American Pacific International School) and some bad things about MEF International School (the Istanbul branch) but both were a bit outdated.

Just wondering if anybody has any new opinions of either??? My feeling is the APIS school would be a better place to work, and I know Chiangmai is great but I'd be living a bit out of the city. I imagine Turkey would also be a great place to live but the reviews I read of the Istanbul branch sounded like the school was poorly run so I wonder if that goes the same for the Izmir branch.
dpurple

Post by dpurple »

Although it's been a few years, I've taught at both schools.
APIS is on a beautiful campus, out of town with nice students. There were significant after class expectations.
MEF was poorly run with poor students. However, the location within Istanbul was worth it.
It's a toss of the coin; but I'd go with the better package. If forced to choose - MEF.
kakki81

Post by kakki81 »

Thanks so much - lucky for me you've taught at both schools! The thing is, the MEF position I'm interviewing for is in Izmir - do you think that'd still be worth it over Thailand? I feel like in some ways I'd be happier at APIS but it does seem like a demanding position.
ExpatGuy

Post by ExpatGuy »

There is nothing demanding about teaching in Chiang Mai

Overall quality of life is great so if the salaries are close I would definitely take Chiang Mai
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I did some research on APIS and was going to apply until I saw that the positions there entail significant boarding responsibilities. I don't have kids yet and I didn't want to spend all my non-school time babysitting other people's.

Another thing to consider is the need to buy a car or motorcycle. I've been to Chiang Mai several times for extended periods and there is no way you can live there without your own transport, especially if you are living outside of the city. Keep this in mind when considering the package.
kakki81

Post by kakki81 »

Well I've been offered the position from MEF Izmir - still feeling pretty torn about the decision. I've done a little more research and have found really mixed reviews of the school, so I'm not sure what to think. I did get a really good impression from the interview at least...

I know living in Chiangmai wouldn't be demanding, I've heard great things, but it was the boarding responsibilities as buffalofan mentioned. My position is specifically a combined resident advisor & counselor so I assume I'd have more than the average teacher. Though this actually appeals to me in a way I know it's something I need to seriously think through. I haven't been officially offered the position from APIS and at this point I'm not sure if I would take it if so, but I would love to live in Thailand. It seems like the better school overall, I'd just have to accept the additional job duties.

Any more last minute advice???
dpurple

Post by dpurple »

Each to their own: Whilst I liked Istanbul, I did not like Izmir.
Re Chiang Mai: The school is quite a distance from the centre of town, so unless the school is providing some reliable transportation, you will need a car. And yes, the boarding duties are, or were, onerous.
ExpatGuy

Post by ExpatGuy »

Yes being an RA + Counselor would probably require more time after hours than a normal teacher but I assume you enjoy spending time with the students outside of the traditional classroom if you sought after those types of positions - so don't let the afterhours discourage you from something you enjoy doing.

Its still Thailand and Chiang Mai - 'sabai sabai' and 'mai pen rai' still dominate the culture in every aspect of life

Do you have children? If not, a motorbike is a pretty easy method of transportation. A used car will set you back atleast 70K. Whereas a used Honda Dream/Wave would only cost 8-12K or a monthly rental of 2K

As long as you have some form of transportation its only 20 minutes from town. The big shopping mall is only 10 minutes and there are plenty of places to eat near by. Southern Chiang Mai and Hong Dong are very nice areas and many expats choose to live down there.

Your not going to get rich teaching in Chiang Mai but the leisurely pace of life, availability of inexpensive travel, relative proximity of beautiful mountains/ beaches, and the abundance of wonderful Thai food makes the experience very enjoyable.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

I lived in Izmir for a few years and loved the city and everything. I would rather live in Izmir than Istanbul or Ankara. But I was not at MEF and I think MEF is near the airport, not a great place and away from the seaside, not nice restaurants close to school. That would be a drawback for me. But Izmir is really great. I don't know the MEF benefit package.
kakki81

Post by kakki81 »

Thanks to you all for the advice, it's been enormously helpful.

dpurple, is APIS at all religiously affiliated? I grew up Christian but am now more "spiritual" than religious (whatever that means - more of a universalist I suppose). I have no problem with any religion in particular I'd just rather not be in a school that was promoting any one set of beliefs. I just noticed there were a lot of Christan schools in Chiang Mai so I wanted to check.

ExpatGuy you make a very good point. I do think I would actually enjoy the non-traditional role with students, and as far as the other points you make about Thailand I agree. I've been there before (Thailand, not Chiang Mai) and I know I'd really like the style of life. And I'm single no kids so I'd definitely be buying a bike. Do you or have you worked at APIS?

Also it seems that though the monthly salary is technically less in Thailand, it includes all meals and utilities and it's a lot cheaper to live there, so I should be able to save at least twice as much there, probably more. I think Izmir would be a nice place to live too but given all the above I'm close to making a decision with the Thai school soon...once again any last minute thoughts?

Thanks again so much for all your input.
dpurple

Post by dpurple »

APIS is not religiously affiliated at all, but of course there is a sympathy towards Buddhist philosophy - nature of Thailand: unfortunately IMO.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

I would take Thailand over Turkey for a few reasons:
1. Turkey is now more expensive which is the main reason I left.
2. The weather is not great year round in Turkey as it is in Thailand.
3. The food in Turkey is great but I prefer Thai and it is healthier.
4. There are more sports, water, and adventure activities in Thailand.
5. Thai people are more relaxed and quiet than Turkish.
6. There is probably less petty theft in Thailand.
7. Thailand may have other opportunities to tutor or teach on the side.
8. There is less chance for violence, terrorism or earthquakes in Thailand. Though I would not really be concerned about terrorism in Turkey.

Good luck!