ISM vs. Brent

raphael

ISM vs. Brent

Post by raphael »

ISM has an amazing "package", is it that much better paying than Brent? Is it "worth it"?

Can someone out there outline the major differences between these schools? (Housing, morale, size, workload, etc)

Thanks
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I've looked at both of their salary scales in recent months and ISM pays about 10k more per/year. From what I've gathered, health insurance, moving, professional development and flights are about equal. Brent Manila's housing is much more comfortable. ISM may look a bit nicer on the resume. However, there may be more leadership opportunities at Brent.
Last edited by nikkor on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
raphael

Post by raphael »

Thanks, I have checked out the ISR reviews and got the same sort of impressions.

I am hoping someone who is actually in Manila or who knows someone in Manila can give me more insider information, other than what I can glean on the web sites of the school and the ISR reviews. The salary differences are obvious but I guess I am trying to get an opinion from people closer to the situation about whether that significant pay increase is really worth it. I know the answer to this is very subjective but still...
anappleaday

Post by anappleaday »

if you don't mind posting your email address, I have friends who work in these schools.
manila

Post by manila »

Hi Raphael
I work in Manila (prob easy enough to work out from my username), at ISM. I came on here in the interests of 'maintaining a level playing field' in a discussion about ISM vs Brent...
The 'leadership issues' at ISM are pretty much ancient history now, and the package has certainly become one of the most competitive in Asia. In my opinion, living in swanky apartmets or houses in gated communities in or around the CBD is actually more convenient than where Brent is, in terms of access to everything the city has to offer. The poverty (it is a third world country) can be as in or out of your face as you choose to make it. Many people at ISM stay 6 years or more, so I don't think the burnout rate is high. Depends what you're after of course, but it could get a little isolating down past Alabang.
Working hours seem about the same. ISM is very understanding of family commitments etc. Of course, if you choose to go the extra mile, there is room to ascend the ranks, if that's what you desire. No after school club supervision required; again, if you choose to do that, there are stipends and recognition available.
Hope nikkor isn't offended by this post - I hear good things about Brent too...
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Hi Manila,
I am not at all offended. I'm not even in the Philippines, just have some connections, and felt I could offer a slightly-informed opinion.
I'm glad to hear that things are going so well at ISM. Thank you for sharing.
raphael

Post by raphael »

Thanks everyone.

I wanted to know if that (much) bigger salary at ISM would mean longer hours, oodles of meetings, and really having to "work" for that extra $. Perhaps that was a misconception. I like hearing that ISM is family friendly and while extras are compensated, it is not expected. I knew about the leadership issues but also understood those were cleared up, glad to have that confirmed, too. I am not all that fussy about the religious aspect of Brent, but could overcome it if it were subtle.
raphael

Post by raphael »

anappleaday, my email address is raphael1999@hotmail.com - thanks in advance for the contact information.
sonicjimi

Hello everyone - Brent teacher here...

Post by sonicjimi »

Brent vs ISM -

Both are very good schools. ISM is probably considered more "tier 1" world wide, but Brent is very solid. The package is better at ISM, but you can still save some money at Brent.

Brentville has been an amazing place to raise kids. They love it. Very good neighborhood vibe. Very safe. It's a bit like "Pleasantville," which drives some of the single teachers nuts. Many of the singles end up living in Makati or Alabang. With the completed construction on the south super-highway you can get back and forth between Brent and Makati in less than 30 minutes most of the time now-a-days, but the tolls have gotten a lot more expensive.

ISM is probably a bit more high pressure, but not ridiculously so. It is a well-run school. You can be a 7-3 teacher at Brent, but that isn't at all the norm. I put in good hours to do my job, especially near IB deadlines. We have quite a few dedicated teachers who really put in the hours.

The leadership crisis thing is behind them. I'd be happy to send my kids there or Brent. They are both very good...

Brent isn't massively "christian-y" as was implied earlier. It is a Christian school, but many of the teachers are completely non-religious and it isn't a problem at all. The teachers in the lower school are more religious, on average, than in the middle or upper school. The school is diverse and accommodating of religious difference. Everyone has to go to a 30 minute chapel once a week, but they aren't always religious in focus. Career talks, student presentations, guest speakers, etc.

The IB policies at Brent are completely open. Any kid who wants to take IB can. As a result, our average scores are around 32/33. I think ISM is probably closer to 36/37 on average. This has pros and cons. We get remarkable growth out of our kids, and we get them into some great colleges, but we may not have as "cerebral" an environment in our IB HL classes. I haven't taught at ISM, but this is the impression I've gotten from a couple of friends who have.

They both have plusses and minuses. It depends on what you are looking for, I suppose.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Anyone out there still at Brent? Have positions already closed, or have they not been advertised yet? Thanks for any info...I'm assuming I've missed the boat, but I've got to try! I'm still looking for that American job after being in the British system for 13 years...
MC1977

Post by MC1977 »

Could someone in the know please let me know what kind of package ISM offer? I need a benchmark to compare to.

Thanks
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Also, question again about whether Brent has advertised for 2012-2013 yet...
manila

package at ISM

Post by manila »

[quote="MC1977"]Could someone in the know please let me know what kind of package ISM offer? I need a benchmark to compare to.

Package is great at ISM now. $$$ + decent housing, some utilities, medical, flights, shipping, gratuities etc. One of best deals on the circuit these days I reckon. They look after their teachers too. You won't complain about the money.