Piaget Academy (Indonesia)

goinplaces

Piaget Academy (Indonesia)

Post by goinplaces »

Does anyone know anything about Piaget Academy in Indonesia (campuses in Jakarta, Medan, Surabaya and Solo)?

Thanks!
ccam

Post by ccam »

Last edited by ccam on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinplaces

Post by goinplaces »

Thanks for replying ccam.

We are a certified teaching couple (one with 5 years of experience/one newly certified), but we haven't had much luck finding a place with openning for both of us. We really want to get our foot in the door.

If you have any other insights, on any of the PIAGET schools, please email me at goinplaces11@hotmail.com
ccam

Post by ccam »

I will reply here for everyone to see.

Piaget is not a International school in the real sense of the term. It is a Singapore curriculum school located in Medan and it caters mainly for rich locals, most of whom are of Chinese decent. It is for profit and I have heard the admin watch every penny. Large classes and few resources. I know of one person who took off early from their contract.

For me it would be a steer clear from anyone who actually has teaching qualification. I don't think Piaget would be a foot in the door to the international scene. Keep looking, there are more and more jobs coming up
cassie

Post by cassie »

Piaget Medan has never claimed to be an international school. it is a national plus school which teaches in English .Pupils are required to take Indonesian national exams at key levels as well. The faculty is in fact well qualified and has members from all over the world. Currently it employs 10 native speakers of English as well as Chinese, Singaporean, Malaysian, Indian and Philippino nationals. I am assuming from the post that you have an axe to grind. Most teachers are satisfied with their housing, pay terms and conditions otherwise they wouldn't be there. Many teachers leave many schools mid contract usually due to personal ,health, or emotional issues. A few are even let go as they can't meet the the required standard. Many schools in Indonesia that are" private" are of course there for profit ,as they are in other countires in the private sector. The population of the school is from the upper income bracket but it is not designated a Chinese Indonesian school- it is an Indonesian school. Private schools do generally attract pupils whose are "rich" as they need to pay fees! Many parents choose schools such as Piaget as local schools can be very lacking and overcrowded. Currently Piaget is moving to new premises - a purpose built modern ,new school with state of the art facilities in both classrooms, staffrooms, sports, and so on. Please don't do a school down - based on hearsay.
cassie

Post by cassie »

To add further: The population of the school has increased hence the need to move. My child is in a class of 23 and I have never experienced a sense of penny pinching. Resources in schools that keep expanding are never enough but the move will deal with this. On a visit to the new school i noted that every huge classroom was being equipped with overhead projectors internet links, computers, smart boards and so on. Spacious and well equipped comptuter labs and science labs are in progress.
ccam

Post by ccam »

I think you might be right PsyGuy. Looks like Cassie has been trying hard to defend this place. Read the comments here

http://www.medankota.com/piaget-school-medan/

All I know is that I knew teachers from there who couldn't wait to leave. One step above a language school, If you have any form of teaching quals at all, you can do much better