Luggage Question

koda

Luggage Question

Post by koda »

Does anyone have any advice for large, light, durable luggage? I'm going to pack all of my stuff and bring it with me- I'm hoping to get it in 3 or 4 bags - 45-50 pounds each... are wheeled duffels better than luggage? Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I went to UHaul and bought two large moving boxes that fit the airlines' size limits. I was able to get a lot in them, and they weighed less than 50 lbs. Use good nylon reinforced tape around them to keep the corners from popping under rough handling.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

My parents just took three bags of stuff from Canada back to the UK for me. Unless you are paying full fare you only get to take one bag with you. The second bag costs $50 and the third cost $150. No idea about the third and fourth, but not cheap (my mom took the third one as her second bag) .Another option is British Airways freight which is $9 a kg plus $0.90.

I looked at Lufthansa and the prices were similar. It is marginally cheaper to pay for excess baggage on line before you fly.

They used to be a lot more flexible with excess baggage, but not anymore, too big a cashcow.
koda

Post by koda »

Markholmes, I know it's not cheap- which is why I'm looking for the lightest bag solution. I can't mail my stuff because it won't get past customs (or so the people there have said)... and I'm flying solo, so I can't have anyone check a bag for me.

Heyteach, I'll look into the u-haul boxes... mostly I just have a lot of clothes- I'm fairly light on all the other stuff. So it's not too heavy, I just want to not have to worry about 10 pound bags. Trying to pack a year's worth of belongings isn't going to be easy. :-/
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

We have used some super cheap black duffle bags that we got at Walmart. They weighed almost nothing, held quite a bit and arrived in China in good shape.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Flexible rubbermaid boxes with plastic zip ties in each corner to hold the lid on. Don't get the rigid plastic boxes as they tend to crack if hit hard enough, we are still looking for the stuff that fell out between Toronto and Vienna :). You'll have to drill holes in each corner for the zip ties but the boxes are tough, lightweight and can be used to store stuff once you get somewhere.

Cardboard boxes are good because you don't invest a great deal in them and they can be flattened once you arrive and stored, great if you don't have lots of storage space.
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="Overhere"]Flexible rubbermaid boxes with plastic zip ties in each corner to hold the lid on. Don't get the rigid plastic boxes as they tend to crack if hit hard enough, we are still looking for the stuff that fell out between Toronto and Vienna :). You'll have to drill holes in each corner for the zip ties but the boxes are tough, lightweight and can be used to store stuff once you get somewhere.

Cardboard boxes are good because you don't invest a great deal in them and they can be flattened once you arrive and stored, great if you don't have lots of storage space.[/quote]

I've heard of people using the rubbermaid action totes: http://www.rei.com/product/634288 ...do they work well? I would be nervous that it would break in transport? Sometimes baggage handlers aren't the greatest... I guess with TSA though, I'd have to use their special approved locks as opposed to zipper ties?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

The only time we had an issue was when we used boxes made of rigid plastic, as opposed to flexible plastic, and only 1/2 a box came out on the luggage carousel :). When going to another school we took 10 of them to SE Asia, each filled with 70 lbs of stuff, and didn't have a problem. We fly out of Vancouver or Toronto so don't have to worry about the TSA.
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

Koda, any chance you are on your way to Ashgabat?
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="KelBel"]Koda, any chance you are on your way to Ashgabat?[/quote]

KelBel,
No... but I am going to an ex-USSR country.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Didn't I tell you not to go to an ex-Soviet country? Oh well. Live and learn. Haha.

Just kidding. Hope you enjoy.

Care to share which country?
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="Danda"]Didn't I tell you not to go to an ex-Soviet country? Oh well. Live and learn. Haha.

Just kidding. Hope you enjoy.

Care to share which country?[/quote]

Haha, Danda.. yes you did tell me. But I've been fascinated with Eastern Europe practically my whole life (it stems from a love of gymnastics)... so I'm actually quite excited. I'm well aware of all of the issues, thus my question about luggage...

I know that once I'm there it will be hard to get anything in or out through customs, so I'm going to not even try. I think at the moment I have about 4 bags/boxes of stuff to bring with me- I'm going to check out those Rubbermaid action packers and maybe also an army duffel or two.

I'm going to Belarus. It's one of the tiny schools- but so far the staff and the director have been great with questions, so I feel comfortable for my first time abroad. And since I have so much time to prepare, I'm attempting to learn some Russian ahead of time.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I have no experience with that part of the ex-Soviet empire. Could be very interesting.

Definitely try to bring everything with you. It will be a hassle but well worth it. Plus customs are a nightmare in that part of the world. One extra box might seem like a hassle and an added expense but you have to consider that this is your life now and you are going to live there.

I used something like those action packers (see link below). I bought them off of another int'l teacher. I also used large duffel bags. I liked the mix of bags. If all you have is hard-sided things it can make it difficult to cram them into small vans and taxis. While the duffels don't allow you to put anything breakable in them they do offer you the advantage of being able to stuff them into smaller areas. I usually went with half hard-sided and half duffel.

Good luck learning Russian. It's not too hard. The grammar gets impossible at higher levels but simple communication is easy.

Link to boxes similar to what I have used: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

I have heard of others using the Rubbermaid action packers as well. I found them at my local Wal-Mart for about 20 dollars, a little less than REI. Just know they are in the automotive department.

The handles are a little too big for the TSA locks(that I have found) so I am planning on using zip ties so TSA can open them if needed. They look and feel very sturdy.
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="Hootie"]I have heard of others using the Rubbermaid action packers as well. I found them at my local Wal-Mart for about 20 dollars, a little less than REI. Just know they are in the automotive department.

The handles are a little too big for the TSA locks(that I have found) so I am planning on using zip ties so TSA can open them if needed. They look and feel very sturdy.[/quote]

Hootie- I heard that if you use 2 TSA locks for each handle, that works. I would be nervous about zip ties b/c if they cut them, then how does it stay shut?