Dubai

goinplaces

Dubai

Post by goinplaces »

I'd appreciate any feedback on Universal American School (Dr. Gunther Brandt) and Dubai in general.

We have committments at home that requires use to save at least $20K a year, and I'm wondering if the savings potention is there. According to the UNI factsheet, we can each save 35% of the $36k salary at UAS, but with all of the posts about the cost of living in Dubai, I wanted to verify that this is in fact doable.

We had a Skype interview with Dr. Brandt, and he seemed very nice and honest. Our impression of ESOL as an organization from UNI 2009 was good, but there are numerous post that seem to contradict our first impressions. Please advise.

Any information on American School of Dubai would be great too.

Thanks!
chuck

DUBAI

Post by chuck »

I used to teach at DAA and travelled to UAS when I coached. The school has nice facilities, very new. The coaches thought the school was very average, not very enthusiastic, however thought it was okay. The campus is out by the Ikea, fairly isolated, and surrounded by malls. I seem to recall talk of sharing apts for singles. Is your wife teaching as well? If so, saving $20000+ should be easy, especially if you tutor after school. Dubai can be very expensive if you don't cook at home and go drinking a lot, otherwise savings can be achieved. You are better off teaching at DAA or ASD, but UAS is okay. I really didn't like the location though. Good luck
goinplaces

Post by goinplaces »

Thanks, Chuck.

ASD will be at UNI, and they have over 35 vacancies listed... Any idea why? It's usually not a good sign to have so many vacancies, but we'll try to get an interview with them as well.
chuck

Dubai

Post by chuck »

Goin Places,
ASD just moved to a new campus last year and increased enrolment from 900 to more than 1500. There have probably added even more for next year. They always had a massive waiting list to get in. Some of the older staff have been grumbling about the move as they lost their villas across from the old campus in jumerah. I think they are moving staff more into condos, so many went out recruiting bemoaning things have changed too much. I know many DAA teachers took jobs there and seemed to like it. All in all, it offers the best package in Dubai for an american school by far and has the best rep. The new location is across the street from where I lived. It is close to the beach 5-10 mins drive, but there is nothing close to walk to. Also a lot of construction in the area. I couldn't see myself living in Dubai long term due to my kids and lack of activities other than shopping, but ASD would be the place to go back for. Good luck......
goinplaces

Post by goinplaces »

Thank you so much for information, Chuck!

Based on my research and all of the reviews on this site, ASD sounds like the best bet. Next year will hopefully be our first teaching abroad, so we're very excited and a bit nervous. We've come to terms with the fact that we will likely end up in the Middle East since it's our first time, and even though I'm certified and will soon have a M.Ed., I do not have classroom experience outside of student teaching (my husband is certified with 5 years experience).

Thanks for all of your posts on other topics--I've learned a lot and hope to contribute to this site when we have some actual experience out in the world!

All the best to you and your family.
mcarmens2001

Post by mcarmens2001 »

Hi to all, I am in Chicago at a job fair and I was offered a job in Dubai at Al_Mizhar American School for girls with a salary of 3850 $/month. How expensive is life in Dubai. My hsband is not a teacher and we don't know what opportunities he'll have there. Please give some honest advice!!! Take care and hope to hear from you soon. Carmen (Charlotte)
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

Kings' Dubai ring a bell? i couldn't find any info on them so far.
thanks