Wondering if I have a chance of landing a job...

radishflower

Wondering if I have a chance of landing a job...

Post by radishflower »

Hi Everyone,
I am working on getting my first job at an international school (I have taught overseas, but it was at a public school and it was more than ten years ago), and I am very excited... BUT, I am getting a bit worried about my chances, as it sounds like the good ones are going fast... On the positive side, I have a Master's in my subject area, have taught college for 4 years (I wonder if they'll even care about this?), and have 8 years high school experience. But on the negative, my lack of international school experience is worrisome--specifically my lack of IB/MYP experience (I know that after all I have done I could learn these easily, but that doesn't count for much--I've already gotten two "thanks, but no thanks" notes from schools for this reason.). Anyway, I guess what I am asking is: Could I land a decent job at the job fair?! I don't want a job at a shady school--I don't need to get rich, but I would like to work somewhere solid with an honest reputation, where I could possibly gain the IB/MYP experience I need... The closer Cambridge gets, the more worried I am getting...!
So my question is: With what you have seen at YOUR reputable school, would they hire someone with no international school experience but with other kinds of experience? Thanks.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Hi, Radish,

I had never even heard of the IB at the time of my first job fair three years ago. I was hired after a really good interview, and the school has their own training program for the IB. So it is quite possible to find work. I extended my contract for a third year and have been quite happy at this well-established school, but am getting ready to move on. What subject do you teach? With your Master's and experience you have a really good chance, I would say. You're smart to vet the schools ahead of time and avoid, in general, the solely-owned schools.
radishflower

Post by radishflower »

Hi heyteach, thank you for your comments. Yes, I am reading about the proprietary schools and many sound like a nightmare (though of course I understand that the folks who review here tend to be those with an ax to grind, but still...). I've just been noticing with many of these schools that say MYP/IB preferred, it sounds more like MYP/IB is mandatory, so this has been a concern for me. Thanks again, that is comforting!
dglorioso

Post by dglorioso »

Radishflower - Yeah, I'm doing the some of the same - trying to start with an international school. I thought the IB was important too but Heyteach and everyone else know more than I do.

Anyone know if the London fair this weekend is geared more for IB experienced people?? thanks
mbynum

Do I have a chance

Post by mbynum »

Radishflower, we just got back from the Bangkok fair and managed to get some really good interviews with some top schools and we had no IB teaching experience and no international school experience. Seemed to be they looked very closely at the recommendations on Search as they often made comments about these.

It seems the schools with American in the name do not tend to be too concerned about IB. British schools of course are. We received 2 definite job offers and have accepted one of them You must know what you want and are willing to accept. Have a clear idea of this and stick to it. You will more than likely get an offer so you must not be tempted into taking a job that is not a good fit.
This happened to us and we are so glad we waited it out and got a good one!
radishflower

Re: Do I have a chance

Post by radishflower »

@mbynum: Wow, that is great news. This has been helpful--I am getting the sense now that there are a number of schools out there who won't care about my lack of IB/MYP experience.

I totally hear what you are saying about knowing what you want and sticking to it: I have been doing a lot of research on the schools that will be in Cambridge and have a sense now of what would be for me and what wouldn't, what are my personal must-haves and what I can let go of if needed.

Thanks for your input and congratulations on your job!