KAUST details!

mcarmens2001

KAUST details!

Post by mcarmens2001 »

Is there anyone who could tell me smth about KAUST? I appreciate your input! Thanks!
aussiechick

Post by aussiechick »

What kind of something were you after?

I have friends who are there now. They were foundation staff. The school has only been open 18 months. The package is good, but not nearly as good as it was for the foundation staff. The school year for teachers is around 45 days longer than the usual.
mcarmens2001

Post by mcarmens2001 »

Thank you for your reply!
It is true that I wasn't very clear about it, but I'll try to do better this time ;)
I said 'smth' because I read some reviews that sounded both bad and good at the same time. However, most of the people seemed "scared" of teaching there. Why do people feel like that? Is it very tough?
What do you know about salaries, life style, the atmosphere in the school, etc? I read it's in the middle of nowhere, but is it that bad...?
I will have an interview with them in February and I would like to know as much as I can about KAUST and life at KAUST before that.
I hope I was a little bit clearer this time ;)
Thank YOU!!!
aussiechick

Post by aussiechick »

Didn't they send you a fact sheet when they confirmed your interview? Here's a section on living at Kaust:

Living in the KAUST Community
School faculty members live in newly-constructed, furnished apartments and townhouses. The community surrounding the university offers recreation centers including a bowling alley, shopping districts, restaurants, a marina, a golf course, and beaches. There are fees to use the facilities at the golf course, recreation center, cinema, etc. The community is a 70-minute drive from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia’s second largest city. The community provides shuttle buses to major shopping areas in Jeddah on a regular basis.

It all seems pretty pleasant. The couple I know seem to spend most of their time in the gym or at the golf course and their kids are always off doing something or other. For women, there are no dress restrictions on the Kaust compound, but if you want to go to Jeddah you have to wear a hijab or whatever they're called.

Benefits are as follows (I copied this from a table, which is why the numbers are all screwed up):

1. Competitive base salary commensurate with candidate’s credentials and years of teaching experience. Initial contracts are for two years. Teachers are expected to work for entire school years. Incoming maximum experience credit is 8 years.

8. Travel Assistance Program - Reimbursement for one economy class return ticket provided for dependent child(ren) enrolled as a full time student in an undergraduate college or university program, to visit parents at KAUST twice per school year.

2. Overseas/Regional Allowance, paid monthly to each single teacher, or to highest-paid member of teaching couple.

9. Initial mobilization travel for foreign-hire teacher and family residing in KAUST between point-of-origin and KAUST provided based on economy class tickets.

3. Relocation allowance paid at end of first month’s arrival at KAUST, based on one-per-family. Compensation paid in local currency.

10. Savings Plan with matched employer contribution up to 10% of base salary.

4. Local and * International Medical/Dental coverage for employee and dependent family members. *Employee pays monthly premium for international coverage.

11. Beginning the second academic year, and for each academic year of employment a travel allowance, based on economy class tickets, between KAUST and point-of-origin is provided to employees and their residing dependents.

5. Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance provided. Additional optional coverage available for employees, spouses and dependents at reasonable rates.

12. Personal effects shipping provided at beginning of contract. Entitlements based on family size. Upon termination of employment weights may be increased based on years of service.

6. Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance.

13. Tuition granted for dependent children in The KAUST School from age 3 to Grade 12.

7. Pension plan with employer contribution starting at 10% of base salary. It takes three academic years to vest; or, a severance pay option, whichever is higher for the employee.

14. Housing in the KAUST community for which rent will be charged according to a schedule established by KAUST. All furnishings, TV, major appliances, linens, dishes, etc. will be included.

I know I've seen a salary scale somewhere. I think it might be available on their website.
mcarmens2001

Post by mcarmens2001 »

Yes, they sent me all that, but I was wondering why so many teachers run away from this school.
aussiechick

Post by aussiechick »

What do you mean?

I heard of one teacher leaving - that was mentioned in the ISR review. Have you heard about more?
mcarmens2001

Post by mcarmens2001 »

I read some posts that said things like "get the money and run", "I would have shut myself if my family hadn't been there"... Another teacher left the school after only 3 months, but didn't say why...
I don't care much about those things they said, because each experience is different and it depends a lot on how adaptable and flexible you are...
Anyway, I am very glad that I'll have an interview with them and I hope to do well on it :)
I just wanted to learn more from people who teach there or know somebody teaching there.
Thank you for your postings!
aussiechick

Post by aussiechick »

So were those reviews you read posted on a different site?
mcarmens2001

Post by mcarmens2001 »

Two of those Yes but "take the money and run" is on this site.
Nomad68

Take the money and run

Post by Nomad68 »

Hmm...I would think that the expression take the money and run means take the money, see out your initial contract and move on. Not actually do a runner. Maybe it is high pressured or too intense for the longterm haul?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Any new information on this school?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

PsychBean - contract was downgraded, many original staff have moved on, a few more restrictions as the campus fills up.

You are a bit isolated as opposed to AISR, AISJ, Conti, and the ISG schools in the EP.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

what kind of restrictions? Do you mean more in line with the rest of the Kingdom?
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

PsychBean, I think I sent you a pm...I am new at this message board. If you didn't get it, PM me with questions.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

If you're talking about the school that is affiliated with the university, a friend I taught with at another ME school started there in Sept. and has really liked it so far. She feels like they take good care of the ex-pat teachers, the housing is excellent (she has a 4 BR villa on the compound), life on the compound is good, her kids are enjoying school and can play safely outside, the staff and admin are good to work with. And...they hired her with three kids and a trailing spouse. She feels very fortunate.