KAUST details!

shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

speedracer, yes, more in line with the rest of the kingdom in some ways.
PsychBean

Re: KAUST details!

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

Any information on how it is for expat kids? Will they have many playmates? Are there many American kids that attend KAUST? How long do people typically stay? How is the shopping for foods can we get some staple items from home? Does shipping cover all items that we ship? Do women have drivers for leaving the compound? How is the education?
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

Any information on how it is for expat kids? Will they have many playmates? Are there many American kids that attend KAUST?

Around 65% of the kids are expats. There are plenty of playmates, especially for the younger ones. There are 10 sections of 3, 4, 5, and 6 year old classrooms. 2nd-5th grade has 5-7 sections of each grade. Smaller amounts in the secondary, but many friends to be had. Plenty to do 2 recreation centers that offer clubs & such, a beach with water activities, movies, bowling...

How long do people typically stay?

This is KAUST's 5th year and there are people who are staying for number 6, and people who have left after 2. Doesn't seem different than other places I have worked.

How is the shopping for foods can we get some staple items from home?

You can get most things. Some things, fresh berries, will cost you. After all, they come from half way around the world. The salary more than compensates for that.

Does shipping cover all items that we ship?

Depends on what you bring. You don't need much (furnished housing and all). Many people can ship all their things.

Do women have drivers for leaving the compound?
Women and men who don't drive need to arrange for taxi's when they want to leave campus. You have to plan a bit ahead to make sure one is available.

How is the education? PYP, MYP, DP
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks Curitiba!
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

My pleasure.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Foundation staff are on a better package because of the hardships they had to put up with - so their salaries are higher and they get free accommodation. New hires are on a lower salary (still very good though) and pay rent (roughly $14,000pa). Conditions within the Kaust complex are very pleasant - you are shielded from real Saudi life and daily restrictions so going out to Jeddah is often a culture shock. That said, some call KAUST a golden cage - it is more of an aquarium than a fish bowl but you are living solely side by side with fellow employees and their children. Of course in most ME locations you are unlikely to mix with the locals but you might make expat friends in activities outside work. Not so at Kaust - it is the Kaust community and that is it. Some might find that a little limiting.

You must remember though that there are two worlds within Kaust - the University side and the facilities and schools which service the Kaust community. The University is Kaust.

Staff seem to stay 4 to 5 years - the high salary and package seem to make leaving hard to do! There was a bit of turnover last year and probably this year. People have either met their financial targets and want to go home, are reaching mandatory retirement at 60 or are feeling stale. There isn't a lot of change here, I am told. The students are pleasant if not overly motivated. Some think they are cleverer than they are. There are a lot of demands on staff time, especially with non-educational events within the academic calendar, and a fair bit of silent pressure. There is a sometimes a feeling of being monitored both in school and outside - a touch of a Big Brother culture. People don't share their opinions freely probably because they don't want to risk not being re-hired. Staff are generally happy but are worked quite hard. I can imagine you reach a burn-out point if you are not careful. Some priorities in schools are curious.

Life in the Kaust community is safe and quiet and peaceful but it a gated community with rules on dress, behaviour etc. Not upsetting the Saudis on campus seems to be priority and Arab stay at home wives have a tendency to have too much time to find things to complain about. They are easily avoided though, although the expat yard parties of the early years are much rarer these days to avoid upsetting them.

Kaust is a good posting for those who are married - not for singletons. It is safe for families although in the fiercely hot months kids will have to cope being indoors much of the time. The package and benefits make it one of the best in the Middle East, pipped possibly only by Aramco. As with all ME postings, an exit strategy is essential. Come to Kaust with a plan, make your money and then think carefully about signing on for additional years. Live carefully and you can save two year's salary for every year here. I have been told that the hardest part is getting into Kaust because of the long processing of applications, offers and visas; and the decision in the end that you want to leave Kaust.
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

While much of what Nomad68 rings true, I'd like to add a second opinion on a few points. A single person's rent is $6,000 and then the rent increases by the size of the house. At times, a person might have to live in a bigger villa if one is not available for their family size. The employee will never have to pay more than 25% of his/her salary to rent.

I am not sure what Nomad68 meant about the two worlds of KAUST, the university & facility and community, but I find it great. There are opportunities within the university for us and a large group of people to socialize with that aren't in the school (not that the teachers are not fun to socialize with ;))

I think the students are quite similar to students I taught in the US, Brazil, and Hungary, parents as well. I have never felt that any of the stay at home wives (Arab or not), complain any more that in any other place as well. I feel fortunate to be sharing a campus with many Arabs (not only Saudi); this provides many opportunities for us. It is true that we need to be respectful of the host country (ie, no short shorts or spaghetti straps), but isn't that true of any country we choose to be visitors in?

As far as turnover, I think there are 6 teachers leaving this year. As far as working hard and big brother watching...hasn't felt any different than any other school I have worked at.

Like I said, this is just another opinion.
Last edited by Curitiba on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Two worlds at Kaust - the university and the other (schools etc). The University is fantastically resourced, amazing buildings and resources. The schools are obviously second fiddle. Still far better than many others elsewhere. Sorry for implying otherwise.The downsides about working at the schools at Kaust are not due to resources , buildings, materiel.
hallier

Post by hallier »

It's be great is you could give some specific numbers on salary. What would an experienced teacher with a Masters degree start on, and what is the maximum salary? Thanks:)
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Around $70K USD is about average for regular teachers - from my understanding there is not much wiggle room for negotiating above the offered salary since they are paying significantly more than almost everyone everywhere else. Those with management roles obviously get paid more. The university staff are on quite amazing packages.