Yew Chung International Schools

coffeetable

Yew Chung International Schools

Post by coffeetable »

Does anyone know anything about any of these schools (HKG, Beijing, Shanghai)? I have an interview with them and I'm trying to find out a bit about them so that I can give a preference.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

They have schools in Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Qingdao and Chongqing.

The first 3 are big schools the latter two are very small. Beijing has a strong EAL/ ESL make up, Shanghai probably too. Don't know about Hong Kong. Qingdao has two campuses across a bay. Which city would you prefer to live in?
coffeetable

Post by coffeetable »

I would probably prefer to live in Hong Kong, but then I'm also interested in Shanghai because of the lifestyle coupled with accommodation including in the package!

I've also got an interview with Dulwich college Shanghai... I know management has not been very stable at all, but perhaps there are some positives?
Spod

Post by Spod »

Does anyone have recent information regarding Yew Chung in Hong Kong?
Spod

Post by Spod »

I heard the pay package for Hong Kong is poor. Is this true?
coffeetable

Post by coffeetable »

Yes the package I saw as an example was ridiculously low! 262,254HKD plus 9,000HKD per month housing. Much lower than most schools in HK.

But I've actually been offered Shanghai and the package is pretty good.
moonbear

Post by moonbear »

Yew Chung in Shanghai has a good reputation. When I lived in Shanghai (2008-2010), it was considered one of the better international schools. I interviewed with them and was hired for a position in the secondary school, but I ended up taking a job in Malaysia. However, the school is run by a Christian organization, and I have heard that the Christian aspect is quite important if you work at the schools in Hong Kong. Your religious beliefs are not important if you work at the school in Shanghai. You will be very comfortable financially if you accept the position in Shanghai. Plus, Shanghai is an awesome city. I highly recommend it.
lilmuch01

Post by lilmuch01 »

hi coffeetable, I'm currently in the process of applying to a position at YCIS in Shanghai. Do you mind sharing with me your application experience? I've never applied for a position overseas before...

So far I've submitted my application online and applied for the specific job. How long was it before they contacted you for an interview? How did the interview take place etc.? Also, you mentioned that your package was generous - if you don't mind, what does that mean?

if you feel more comfortable to share in private, let me know and I can post my email address.

thanks for any help or suggestions that you can give!
coffeetable

Post by coffeetable »

Hi!

Basically I applied at the right time as they were on a huge recruitment drive for August and I got an interview pretty much straight away. So it was fate! :D

The salary is good 23k RMB after tax, 2 bed apartment etc.

I've found a couple of people working there and they are happy, so that works for me...

Good luck with the process!
djc51

Sorry I could not reply earlier

Post by djc51 »

I am a bit sorry I have not joined ISR earlier as I would have liked to been able to contribute to the question regarding employment at YCIS. I have been with them for just on 3 years but after June I will be leaving reluctantly. I say reluctantly because I really wanted to stay on for another term but my request for a contract was refused. The reason? I don't know and neither does my western co-principal. Our emails to HK have been met with the reply "We don't have to give you a reason". This is the type of mentality the people who run Yew Chung have. They don't want to know about problems, they don't want you to disagree with them. They basically want "yes" personnel. If you're happy to go with that, then I wish you good luck.

To be fair though, the pay for Chinese standards is very good but I'd be worried about the health policy as I think that's been the cause of my "sacking", so to speak. I can't complain about my accommodation either as it has been well located ( albeit a little bit far from work, half an hour by taxi). It's just that I can't work for an organisation that is as arrogant and unprofessional as this mob. If you've already accepted a position then good luck. I hope it goes well but don't tread on any toes or stick up for what you think is right as you'll be out of a job real quick!
calliope

Post by calliope »

The schools are all owned by a HK woman. There is very high turnover of staff. As for non-profit, who knows where the exorbitant fees go?
A someone else says, keep your head down and join in with the happy clappy Christians.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Any new information about this school, anyone work at the HK location?
tdaley26

new info?

Post by tdaley26 »

any new info from those teaching there now?

I just interviewed with the school in Shanghai
PsyGuy

Not Really

Post by PsyGuy »

I havent heard anything really different about either location (HK or Shanghai) from last year. Most of the improvements were more talk then action, and certainly nothing thats created any noteworthy results. I dont expect anything to be truly different for next year either.
stellalocal

Re: Sorry I could not reply earlier

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="djc51"]I have been with them for just on 3 years but after June I will be leaving reluctantly. I say reluctantly because I really wanted to stay on for another term but my request for a contract was refused.

It's just that I can't work for an organisation that is as arrogant and unprofessional as this mob. If you've already accepted a position then good luck. I hope it goes well but don't tread on any toes or stick up for what you think is right as you'll be out of a job real quick![/quote]

I'm a bit confused by this post. You say you were there 3 years and wanted to stay another year so clearly you were happy enough. They decided not to renew your contract, unfortunately this happens in international schools for various reasons, wearing the wrong coloured shoes, walking the wrong way. But this is where I get confused, at the end of your post it becomes a place you can't work due to arrogance and unprofessionalism. You just said were happy and wanted to stay?!?!

YCIS sounds like many other international schools. Go with the flow and you'll be fine, just get on and do your job without causing a fuss and you shouldn't have a problem. This is often the case in schools, even the good schools don't like trouble makers, nodding dogs are generally quite popular with Heads.

I know someone at the Shanghai school and he's perfectly happy.