Yew Chung International Schools

higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Lifeisnotsobad is the wrong moniker for Lifeisnotsobad. What kind of lifeless troll can recall a post from almost a year ago and have it ready at his fingertips for evidence that YCIS is not a 3rd tier school? Clearly he's someone for whom life is pretty damn bad!

I do remember the post though and maybe the admin at that school didn't deserve to be burned alive, I really don't know. I do know they screwed over a teacher due to their incompetence. I also know that admin in general really are best described as cheerleaders and by and large useless. YCIS admin, for example, could easily be replaced by mannequins propped up in doorways.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

@higgsbosun...

You on the other hand, are clearly a credit to the teaching profession...that must be why I remembered you so well.

Life is pretty good where I am sitting :-).
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

If I could wade back in ....

Nice to hear some rational thoughts and sensible discussion Lifesnotsobad. Thanks for joining in.

Higgy, a couple of thoughts come to mind here - while you don't like the Foundation you obviously agree that the package at YCIS isn't so bad (actually it looks rather good against many other schools), which shows that Dave PsyGuy is way off the mark. You're both in the same Anti-YCIS camp but you're confused about whether the package is good or bad.

You remind me of my Year 4s with your infantile name calling - 'lifeless troll', 'Traveller 1 Whines', and admin that are 'cheerleaders', 'ass kissers' and 'by and large useless' - which is a pity because it shows you have closed mind to perspectives that don't match your own. The fact that you can't accept that the only people who would want to work there cannot be good teachers or administrators means that you must be pretty self-opinionated. If you don't like something explain yourself in a reasoned manner rather than having a tantrum in the sandpit.

Durianfan, thanks for the perspective on dental costs in China. DAVE, please take note.

Higgy, I have a question for you. If you're such a smart teacher how come you ended up at YCIS? Surely you did your research and found out about the organisation before accepting a job there?

You CHOSE to work there. Either you didn't do your research or you couldn't get a job at one of the 'Tier 1' schools and settled for YCIS just to get into China. Instead of being grateful that they offered you a job, and an opportunity to work in China, you're having a tantrum because you made the cardinal error of not finding out about the school before getting a job there.

I've never pretended it's a top tier school, although they're making a serious effort to rise to the challenge, but it certainly isn't the kind of school that you're painting it as. Seriously, if the admin were as bad as you say they'd never be able to run schools of 800 to 1200 students. They'd crash and burn before the year was out. Again, if they were as bad as you say they are, you'd be reading about it every month on ISR, which you don't.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Trav1 Asked[quote]Higgy, I have a question for you. If you're such a smart teacher how come you ended up at YCIS? Surely you did your research and found out about the organisation before accepting a job there? [/quote]

I did do my research and I concluded that YCIS was such a mismanaged school that I could do next to nothing for two years and walk away with savings and a good reference - and that's exactly what I did. I agree, the YCIS package is pretty good, excellent in fact when you consider how little you have to do. I did practically nothing and admin was as clueless as I had anticipated.

I guess mismanaged schools do have their perks, if you know how to play them and I played YCIS like sucker.

Lets get back to tiers though: I say YCIS is tier 3 and you say its not a tier 1 school. What does that make it? Tier 2?

YCIS is a well resourced 3rd tier school that attracts many well behaved ESL students. With proper admin, YCIS could be much more.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

@higgsbosun,

It could well be that the admin have done their research and concluded that at YCIS they 'could do next to nothing for two years and walk away with savings and a good reference'.

What makes YOU any better than them?
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Lifesucks Said[quote]It could well be that the admin have done their research and concluded that at YCIS they 'could do next to nothing for two years and walk away with savings and a good reference'. [/quote]

That's probably true, which would explain why YCIS admin is so useless and why YCIS is a 3rd Tier school.

Life Sucks then asks[quote]What makes YOU any better than them?[/quote]

I'm better than them on general principle.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

...and that principle would be?
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I'm a teacher whereas they are admin
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Oh...that principle...and there I was thinking that you were talking about a moral code or conduct. Silly me.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I was talking about a moral code but the ISR site administrator edited my comment to incomprehensibility.

Like I said, admin is useless; YCIS admin is just more useless than most.
tdaley26

misinformation

Post by tdaley26 »

Just to be crystal clear..... I am a first year teacher at YCIS in Shanghai.

The amount of untruths and misinformation being posted by so-called knowledgeable professionals on this thread is scary.
Here are some facts:
Health insurance
Ycis does provide complete medical cover through MSH, I was hospitalized earlier this year and the coverage was 100%. I had no out of pocket expenses. It is true that dependents are not covered by the school policy and that it is expensive to add them, most teachers with dependents group together and obtain cover for them with an outside company.

Flight costs
The school reimbursed me for my flight and visa expenses within 3 weeks of my arrival in China. Dependent flights and visa costs are the responsibility of the teacher.

Salary
From talking to other teachers in Shanghai, I can tell you that salaries at YCIS are higher than most intl schools in Shanghai although there are some that pay a little more. Payment has always been on time. The salary I was quoted in my contract was after tax, and that amount is what I have been paid each month.

Housing
The housing provided by the school is of good quality. Problems such as repairs have been handled promptly.

School Admin.
This is much more a matter of opinion than of fact. In my experience, the leadership of the school has been effective. I especially have been aided by my immediate supervisors in making the transition to my new school. Of course my experience is unique, and I have no idea if the admin in the other school locations is the same.
tdaley26

PD at Yew Chung

Post by tdaley26 »

I didn't address this in my previous post, so here goes.

YCIS has hosted a number of PD events this year, one was for IB teachers another was for learning support. In addition, a number of our teachers have attended workshops in KL, HK, Beijing and other locations, all paid for by the foundation. Th PD allowance quoted is not a hard and fast figure. The foundation frequently sponsors teachers to attend trainings that exceed this amount. I know this from first hand experience.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

tdaley26 swoons [quote] In my experience, the leadership of the school has been effective. I especially have been aided by my immediate supervisors in making the transition to my new school. [/quote]

If ever there was a cheerleader leading a cheer, its T. Daley. I'm sure Mr. Daley's immediate supervisor appreciates his comments and no doubt Mr. Daley, with continued public ***kissing, will be admitted wholeheartedly into the YCIS Old Boys Club and with luck may one day himself become a **** **** ******* and ******* useless administrator.

Well done Mr. Daley - outstanding!

Ra! Ra! Shish Coom Ba!
Go Daley!
Go Daley!
tdaley26

despicable

Post by tdaley26 »

When one cannot support ones argument with facts, the only option is to resort to personal attacks. Higgs, you are a despicable human being with an axe to grind apparently. I have shared my experience truthfully, you on the other hand are using falsehoods and halftruths to further whatever real or imagined slight you believe you have suffered.

Either give the honest information or shut up. People read these threads, as I did last year, to decide on whether to take employment. Not only are your posts dishonest, they are damaging. People might read the tripe you publish and make career decisions based on that.

If you want to know about the conditions at a school, ask someone who works there. Not someone who has either 2nd or 3rd hand info.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

I was led to believe there was some kind of family allowance paid to families. I thought it was about $300 a month. Is that true?