age 47 -may get phD: useful? teachers/admin what u think?

lulutooz

age 47 -may get phD: useful? teachers/admin what u think?

Post by lulutooz »

Due to circumstances, wont have to pay to do so.

Can you guys weigh in – in the international teaching world – would the phD be an asset/worth the time?

It interests me subject-wise…and also – getting older. I don’t want to ‘waste’ these years if it wont give me more options ie better chance for admin, should I want to go that route...or, better jobs...whatever. But will take me out of workforce for 4 years - I'll be 51 when finish - eek!

To date, I have teaching credentials and have been teaching abroad for a few years, still am. Also have an MA (obviously). What you guys think? Any and all opinions appreciated! Oh- and m xmas and hnew years!
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

About three years ago I completed my PhD. After going through the experience I'd offer these reflections:

-You need to decide whether you're going to do a research based PhD or a Doctorate- the main difference being the Doctorate comes with an administrator certificate. I did a research based PhD as I wanted to concentrate on elearning. I'm now going back and finishing a admin certificate.

-Realize that you're probably pricing yourself out of some jobs. Schools will see you with your added salary and compare you to someone coming right out of school with a BA, and conclude you're not worth it.

-Take a look at other people in positions you're interested in, what are their credentials? Is an advanced degree really worth it? I looked at people in positions I wanted to hold in 5-10 years and figured that a PhD and admin certificate was necessary.

-Financially it cost me about 55k. Immediately after graduating I was offered an Admin job at a 22k raise- plus the added responsibilities. I lost summer break and other vacation times. However over the next 20 years the financial advantage will be substantial. Additionally my retirement package will be much better. I also like my job more as it's much more engaging.

My two cents...
lulutooz

THANK YOU!!

Post by lulutooz »

Very helpful!! If you get a chance - can you tell me how long the admin certif took...and...well - anyone from Australia - do they have the same type of license/certif there?

Mostly - great help. Happy holidays!