The British School - Caracas

ajs9791

The British School - Caracas

Post by ajs9791 »

No reviews on this school in other section of site. Does anybody know anything about this school?
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

My wife worked at the British School Caracas for four years (I was at the American International School at the time - ECA. Top tier in every way. Highly recommend the place) and she had a wonderful time. I will pass on her comments in this post.

It's a small school which caters mainly to the very wealthy local community (many of these schools do, but these families were incredibly wealthy). Not much of an international feel in that regard. However, the school was well organized and the pay quite good. The sterling portion of the salary went directly into UK accounts and went untouched by all of the expat staff.

The school had to compete with the larger American international school (the one I worked at) but they still held their own. The British school only went up to year 8 at the time and we took most of their students from that point on and they really were stellar kids. Fully bilingual and very near bicultural as well. A real joy to teach.

Brian Allen, the head teacher, was fantastic. My wife only has possitive things to say about him. I dealt with him quite a bit on cross school stuff and he was a true professional and also a great guy in general. Unfortunately, I believe he's moving on.

Having said all of this, we left Caracas because of the political/security issues. My wife was mugged and I was nearly gunned down just outside of our flat. And we lived in a rather posh area. It truly hurts me to say this, but Caracas is not the best place to be at the moment. It's a truly world class city, but also very difficult in general.

I think you would be happy at the school. Venezuela is a wonderful country, possibly the most incredible place I'v ever lived. But, there are other things to consider...good luck.
ajs9791

Post by ajs9791 »

Thanks for the info. Much to think about with those issues outside of the teaching part.
Lulu

Venezuela living and intl schools

Post by Lulu »

What is living and teaching in VZ like?
I am looking at a school with good reviews that is near Monagas.
What is the situation with the US dollar there now? The school I am looking at pays all the salary into your US account and then there is some mention of then tranferring that money to another person in the US for some reason to sell the dollars? Is there some kind weird system to access money there as a foreigner? I'm sure it is one of these things that once one understands it is a no-brainer but I don't quite understand why one would have to transfer money to a friend's account??? Or maybe I am misunderstanding the situtation.
Overall tho the school sounds great.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

The school is in Maturin, the capital of Monagas state. It's not a nice place to live at all. I would not recommend the school, either. If you are interested in Venezuela, Escuela Campo Alegre in Caracas is really the way to go. If you are a Brit, then look into the British School Caracas. The schools in Puerto la Cruz, Maracaibo, Valencia, El Tigre, and CIC are simply not worth it.

The money situation can be a bit of a nightmare. The government artificially controls the value of the local currency, which means that if you need to exchange money, you need to go through the black market to get the current rate. My school had the system sorted out; however, it was still a bit confusing and at times a hassle.

Read my bit in response to the original posting for info on life in Venezuela. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Cheers and Good luck.
JF

ECA - TBS - commute considerations

Post by JF »

hi, our young family is being posted to Caracas. we are considering Escuela Campo Alegre and The British School to send the kids to. i understand both are TOP NOTCH, unique to its own.

the main consideration for us now is the commute time! work will be at the embassy at Altamira (halfway between ECA and TBS). ideally, we would like minimal commute time between work, home, and school.

we would very much appreciate any insights you may have! it will help us choose the right school in the context of the right lifestyle for our young family.

specific questions will be:
- how bad is traffic from Altamira embassy to ECA? to TBS?
- security during commute?
- where are the great and safe neighbourhoods for young families? how far/long-drive is each one from ECA? TBS? Altamira embassy?
- school community: we would love a warm, very-involved and engaged school-home life... is ECA/TBS better than the other in this regard?
- any recommendations for a good club for young families?

any other insights you may have, we welcome!

a call-out also to calciodirigore, who seems to have a good grasp of both schools and living in Caracas...

thank you in advance to everyone!
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Venezuela is going through rough times to say the least...I don't mean to sound harsh but being in Caracas now is going to be a bit difficult. However, it can be a wonderful place and with a bit of work on your part could be a rewarding experience.

Since you mentioned that the embassy is in Altamira, I assume that you are Canadian or perhaps British. These embassies are in Altamira and la Castellana (next to Altamira) respectively. The US embassy is across the motorway. If you are not Canadian or a Brit, sorry about that.

I mention this because if you are Canadian, ECA might be a better fit. If you are a Brit, then the British School will be a better fit. Either school would work, but ECA is top tier not only for Caracas or Venezuela, but also globally speaking.

I would also recommend ECA because most consular families live close to this school in an area called Colinas de Valle Arriba. Lovely neighborhood with amazing flats and spectacular views. The commute from this area to ECA is only a couple of minutes. Better for the person working to have the commute into Altamira (on a good day, only a few minutes...on a bad day 1-2 hours) than the kids into school. Having said this, if you prefer the British School, it's in Altamira so if you chose to live in Altamira, then the commute will be minimal.

I would recommend the Valle Arriba Country Club. Many ECA families (both expat and local) have membership there. Very posh but provides plenty of space for kids to run around and play. Caracas doesn't really have many parks/areas for younger kids to hang out.

ECA has a very warm and welcoming community and there are always events being put on for families in and outside of school. The British School has a similar vibe, except that the families are primarily local and so might not be so keen to attend these types of events. So, in this regard, ECA is the way to go, too.

Good luck!

Cheers.