MYP: a Refutation

one2many

Post by one2many »

.isr
Last edited by one2many on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ccam

Post by ccam »

Still going with this post huh?? Well I originally didn't reply because it seemed some posters were so vehement in their hatred of the program that nothing I would say could possibly sway them. I also put off the original post because I can actually picture kevinmulqueen in my head, he has an idea of how English should be taught and woe betide if any is going to tell him how teach teach differently. We have all taught with one of these guys.

In any case, I stopped myself from replying earlier mainly because I had no sympathy for the guy. Surely the question must be asked: If you hate the MYP so much, why do you keep going to MYP schools?

ccam

P.S The Mice and Men comments are the funniest - You can still teach all of big themes, the characters, the use of English. The AOI just helps guides the focus of the unit. Its really not a hard one to get your head around, my students seem to get it.
one2many

Post by one2many »

.isr
Last edited by one2many on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear One2Many,

As you must surely be aware - the MYP is not a curriculum, it is simply a structure around which to build your curriculum. If the curriculum in a school is lacking academic rigour then that is the fault of the school. As is usually the case, such criticism comes from those who do not understand the MYP, and the fact that many of them may actually be teaching it is (in my humble opinion) an indicator of the way the programme is often poorly implemented in many schools. The IB results in my school are excellent - and all students come through the MYP.
YoDude

IB Quality Survey

Post by YoDude »

Today we got results of the latest IB satisfaction survey. Isn't it amazing that those that were surveyed by the IB are these: 1) School Heads - those who are very removed from its implementation, and 2) MYP coordinators - those whose jobs depend on having the MYP remain. However, those in the classroom weren't involved at all. Amazing!
PsyGuy

Yeah

Post by PsyGuy »

You can make the point even more fundamental, the IB only cared to survey admins.
hallier

Re: IB Quality Survey

Post by hallier »

[quote="YoDude"]Today we got results of the latest IB satisfaction survey. Isn't it amazing that those that were surveyed by the IB are these: 1) School Heads - those who are very removed from its implementation, and 2) MYP coordinators - those whose jobs depend on having the MYP remain. However, those in the classroom weren't involved at all. Amazing![/quote]

I'd be interested to know more about this survey.

Is it sent to all schools offering an IB programme?
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes IB schools participate (though not all do). You can ead the summary here:

http://www.ibo.org/announcements/2012/s ... esults.cfm

If you have OCC access a more detailed report is available.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

Any other thoughts on MYP? I have been looking at schools which do this program for next year and am not sure whether to apply or not. A friend told me that the teachers at his MYP school taught the kids a lot of 'fluff' and when the students got to IBDP they have really struggled.

Would MYP being in a school make you not apply for a job there? What is the workload like?

How are things going to change with the new curriculum?

Thanks for any information.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

How are things going to change? Who knows? But IB have finally got the message that there needs to be changes to the programme so I hope it's for the better.

Yes, in my school too MYP does not prepare students for the rigours of DP but I wouldn't pass on a job for it...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive written about this before. Currently the MYP is very flexible. The issue is that MYP has to be to accommodate a variety of other national curriculums. It can be as rigorous or as fluffy as the school and its leadership want it to be. There are a number of MYP programs out there that lack focus. Teachers and departments pretty much teach whatever they want and are comfortable with. A history teacher who favors the middle ages can do just that and it works in MYP. A science teacher who is all ENV can do nothing but that and it fits into MYP. Some schools have very organized and rigiourous MYP programs, usually because they have another curriculum they are wedging into a MYP package.

Usually IB schools add MYP because they want to be an IB world school, and they have a big gap in the middle of the student body that they would either have to do something else or make their own. MYP in this case is just a fast food option to fill in between primary school and upper secondary (where the focus is on the credential). An MYP program is usually the last program in the IB trinity to be adopted by a school.

I like MYP schools and programs, if you the type of person that likes to do their own thing, or already has a system that works, then MYP can accommodate you. There is usually less stress and technical management in MYP programs. You also have time, MYP is 5 years plenty of time to cover material another day, whereas in DIP its fast. Its a 2 year program but counting exam review and essay (an honors paper basically) youve really only got a year and a half. There is less pressure performance wise in MYP, there arent any formal MYP exams and the culminating activity is called "personal project". You could easily be doing what your doing now in your classroom and just add more group work and discussion and call it MYP.

Whats going to change, well MYP is becoming more prescribed, meaning the IBO is going to dictate that students have "Applications of Understanding" It will be a document describing increasing complex applied understandings that demarcate into defined observable scoring and performance boundaries. If that sounded overly geekish, then you understand. It will be a hybrid of the PYPs modular content approach and the DIPs measurement and assessment guides.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

I teach DP and would probably end up teaching some MYP to the higher grades. That is why I am interested in how it affects the DP kids. Seems like I would have even more work to do with them if they come from a MYP background, at least initially.

I appreciate that it could be a good thing though, (apart from lots of paper work?), if i taught the kids in MYP then I could make sure to cover what they needed to know for my subject. I guess that depends on if the sciences are taught separately or combined in that particular school.

I think I'll start applying and see what comes of it.