Wondering if I have a chance as well to teach in Europe...

NicoleMarieSchreiber

Wondering if I have a chance as well to teach in Europe...

Post by NicoleMarieSchreiber »

Hi there,

I am new to the international teaching world and have been researching it since the spring. I am committed to trying to get a teaching position somewhere in Europe for the 2011-2012 school year with a two year contract and would love any advice that anyone could give to me regarding if I even have a chance at all of this!

I have over eight years of teaching experience (four years of 3rd grade, three years of 2nd grade, one year of 6th/7th English and social studies, and now preschool) but I did stop teaching for five years to have my two children. Now I have started teaching again at a preschool, and I still have a valid teaching credential to teach the other grade levels. I have a BA in Liberal Arts/ Teacher Education as well as an MFA in Creative Writing.

I do not have IB experience, but I am interested in it and in inquiry-based learning. I do love creating curriculum as well. I did see an introductory class on PYP at the IBO.org website, but it is so expensive! Do I need to take that?

I have overseas travel experience, as I did study in Florence, Italy in college, and I have traveled extensively with my children already, taking them to London, Brussels, Cologne, Copenhagen, and Prague. My husband and I also volunteered for Habitat For Humanity building houses in Northern Ireland for two weeks.

As I mentioned above, I do have dependents (freelance sales/news producer husband who works from home yet travels for work and two children ages 5 and 2).

I would love to teach anything from Preschool through 5th grade and am qualified to do so, but we do want somewhere in Europe. I know it's a no-no to choose only one continent, but it is our dream to live in Europe as a family for a time.

Here are some questions that I have:

1. As I get my resume, online portfolio, and recommendations in order, I am also trying to figure out if these recruiting fairs are worth going to. Are they? I have an ongoing list of schools that I am interested in applying to, and I do plan on contacting them personally, but I don't know if I should try to go to the London fair at all as well. I could travel there alone with frequent flier miles, but I also heard somewhere that if a teacher has a dependent husband, the husband needs to accompany the teacher to a fair/interviews. Is that true?

2. I am also a children's fiction writer, not published, but a dedicated professional with an MFA in Creative Writing, a member of the International Society of Children's Writers and Illustrators, won some awards for my writing, etc, and my website and blog reflects that as well as my teaching. Is that okay?

3. As for my online portfolio, I am trying to figure out what to put on it besides my resume and references. I have pictures from my preschool teaching (which I will clear with parents before posting) as well as videos I made of my classrooms many years ago when I taught 3rd grade. Should I put those online? Also, should I put video of myself on as an introduction and explain my teaching philosophy? Should my husband be on it as well? (Though that feels very strange to me...)

4. I am looking for a good, family friendly school in Europe, with a good package (free tuition for kids, housing allowance, etc.) This is my list so far, so I am wondering if I am off-target with any of them. If anyone has any other places to recommend, I would love to hear them. Our number one area would be most likely Czech Republic, Hungary, or Poland, since we think we would be able to live more comfortably money-wise there, but I would love other suggestions and comments as well.

International School of Prague
Park Lane International School in Prague
The Riverside School in Prague
The American School of Budapest
Budapest International School
The American School of Warsaw
International School of Krakow
International School of Brussels
St. John's International School
American School of Paris
Copenhagen International School
International School of London
American International School, Vienna
Danube International School
International School of Vienna
International School of Ljublijana, Slovenia
Stockholm International School
International School of Helsingborg
International School of Amsterdam
International School of Estonia
International School of Stravanger, Norway
Kronsberg International School, Norway
International School of Zurich
International School of Zug and Luzern
International School of the Basel Region
International School of Berne
International School of Genoa
Sutton Park School, Ireland

I hope some of you read all of this and comment! Thank you so much for your time.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

There is a good chance for you, but your salary will not go far.
As a single teacher you probably won't get tuition for 2 kids.
If your husband travels you may have childcare issues.
I have a friend that had her young son in German daycare and was very happy, but it was expensive.
I would also say that apt living (possibly with no elevator) and schleping your groceries in Europe with 2 little kids is not that fun. I have done it.
If Europe is your dream, you may want to wait until your kids are old enough to remember it (If the tuition can be worked out). If you are eager to go overseas now there are lots of countries that are easier with a young family.
martijem

Post by martijem »

Puka2-
What countries do you feel are more friendly to families with young children? Any specific schools you would recommend?
NicoleMarieSchreiber

Are there any European schools who pay tuition?

From what I've found so far, it sounds like International School of Prague, the International School of Brussels, and the American School of Budapest would pay for tuition for up to two children. The schools themselves sound like a wonderful fit for us as well, so they are our top choices right now. Am I correct in saying this, or have things changed?

A couple of other schools that we really like (American School of Warsaw? American International School of Krakow? International School of Amsterdam?) sound wonderful for us, but I don't know about the tuition. We are still deeply researching everything. I also like the American School of Paris (not sure about affordability, though) and the Riverside School of Prague (not sure about package there).

Would Search Associates have tuition information? I think I want to join for that information, but I am trying to be careful on what I spend in case I do not get a position.

Also, there is an online PYP introduction course starting next week at IBO.org, but it would be almost $700 to take it. Would it make a difference for me in trying to get a position? I am genuinely fascinated with the program from what I have read and wouldn't mind teaching it someday.

About the ages of the boys-- We feel like we'd like to have this experience when they are young to make the transition to our new place in Europe and then when returning home to the states a little easier. We are a traveling family, so I know we will return again when the boys are older as well.

My husband will not travel nearly as much if we have a position in Europe, and if I can find a school with tuition paid for a PK3 student (3's preschool) and a 1st grader, then they would be at school with me if he is out of town during the week. But as I said, it would be rare if we are over there.

Finally (Please excuse all of my questions!)-- If I did go to London for one of the recruiting fairs in January, does my husband need to come with me?

Thanks everyone!
NicoleMarieSchreiber

Eastern Europe schools

I know the weather is horrid in the winter, but we are willing to still go for it. I know, it's crazy.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Nicole,

With your situation, I wonder if a position with DODDS would work out better for you financially. The only problem is that you can select a geographic area, but you can't choose a particular city or even country. If you turn the position down, it might be a while before they consider you again.

Just a thought...
wrldtrvlr123

Europe

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Europe is considered a top destination by many, so competition will be tough. Also, schools know they do not have to offer top packages to attract top teachers (scraping by in Europe seems much more romantic than scraping by in Korea).

You should join Search as they have extensive information on all those schools on your list (benefits, tuition for dependents, make up of staff/residents, taxes, savings potential etc) that will help you to sift through the schools you want to target. Actual tuition fees should be available on most websites. Or you can just email the admissions dept. under a different name (shrugs, do what you gotta do).

The IB course couldn't hurt but may not help. If the school really wants IB experience, there are many candidates with actual IB experience.

I have seen people hired when their dependents came to the fair and when they stayed home, so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker if you go yourself to save money. Actually, don't lock into London. Check out the schools that go to Cambridge. Should be a bunch on your list and cheaper to get to and stay at.

Good luck!
NicoleMarieSchreiber

Going to London fair

After doing some research, I've noticed that once fairs get to Cambridge or the ISS fairs in the states, lots of the jobs (better schools, Europe) are gone. That's why I was wondering about going to the London Fair in January as well as applying individually to schools. Thoughts?
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Hello again.

I would apply to schools directly, but wouldn't really expect a reply. I worked at what was considered a top tier school in Europe, and was told by my head that they received about 1,000 cv's during recruitment season, and that they only replied to about 20 of them. Being a single with two dependents would probably not place you in that list of 20. But it doesn't hurt to try. I sent out about 100 cv's last year and got about 5 replies. I am presently at one of the schools which replied.

So, I would consider going through one of the fairs, too. London is probably a better bet. At the Bangkok fairs, your candidacy would not be considered due to the dependent thing.

In the end, I think you will have to put in a lot of leg work, but your situation certainly isn't hopeless. I would also give schools in Asia a go. Much easier with kids and a dependent...

Good luck!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Well said Ichiro, I've been trying to phrase the same message.

One of the most valuable messages my wife and I heard early, actually the first day of our first recruitment fair, was not to focus on Europe and to broaden our horizons. We were promised that if we did that we would have some amazing experiences, and we have.

If your goal is to live and work in Europe then take some of the good advice found here and go for it. However, if your goal is to live and teach overseas then I would broaden your horizons to include places like SE Asia while not giving up on your European dream.

I have taught in both regions and while Europe was spectacular, the opportunities in SE Asia have been unparalleled.

Good luck in your search.
NicoleMarieSchreiber

Thank you for all of your advice!

Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply. Your advice has been excellent.

My husband is a freelancer and has been for fifteen years or so. He sells advertising for business journals and magazines and also produces shows for conventions to air in hotel rooms (though that part has tapered off in recent years...) I have not taught for five years and we have paid for our own health insurance. My husband can work his job overseas since he does it all from home, but on New York hours (late afternoon- 11pm or so, depending where we are in Europe) He may need to travel a little, but not nearly so much as now. We would prefer benefits for all three dependents, or perhaps we could pay for one or two. It could be negotiable, but would be better if we had benefits paid for by the school. I guess it all depends on salary, cost of living, and housing.

We do realize that we would need to live in a small space per se. Of course, we do live in a 1600 sq. foot house right now, which could be considered small for some families of four. Tiny yard, too, so we are used to small. I don't want to clean or be responsible for more than that!

Europe really is our calling. I did love Thailand when I visited there six years ago, but Europe is where we belong, I think. I am a children's writer of middle grade and young adult fiction as well as a teacher, and my novels are all historical fiction or historical fantasy set in Europe. I've researched 1548 Brussels and Bruges for the past five years for my most recent novel! (and visited there once-- so lovely)

If anyone has anymore advice, please post! Again, thank you so much.
William

Post by William »

[quote]
Would Search Associates have tuition information? I think I want to join for that information, but I am trying to be careful on what I spend in case I do not get a position.

Also, there is an online PYP introduction course starting next week at IBO.org, but it would be almost $700 to take it. Would it make a difference for me in trying to get a position? I am genuinely fascinated with the program from what I have read and wouldn't mind teaching it someday. [/quote]

Search does have that information, and a whole lot more. Including medical insurance, extras even your estimated savings per year.

IB course, I wouldn't. It will not really count for much imo. IF or when you get into an IB school, they will send you on training, which will make more sense then too.