Schools in Southeast Asia or Other Warm Location

raphael

Schools in Southeast Asia or Other Warm Location

Post by raphael »

My husband and I are looking for a school in Southeast Asia or another warm location. Here is our "ideal" school:

- We would like to work at a place with a "manageable" work load. To clarify, we are fairly hard working teachers but we are not the sort of people that want to work late or attend oodles of meetings. We want to be given some flexibility in what we teach, have smallish class sizes and not have a lot of pressure from administration. An ideal school for us is a place where we can get most of our work done at school, participate in an after school activity we like, and have the weekends and evenings free to spend with our family.
- Obviously the first point means we are not gunning for a top tier school. We want a place that is a little laid back. This obviously means it won't be the best paying school. We don't expect top notch salary, but want to be able to travel and save *a bit* of money. We want to be able to enjoy our jobs for the most part (recognizing that no school is perfect). We are easy going people who can handle a bit of disorganization, but the school needs to function...
- We have a child in preschool. Ideally the pre-K/elementary program is housed on the same campus or close to the high school or middle school where we will be working.
- Ideal housing for us is close to the school, but we don't really want to live in school housing ghetto (i.e. a fish bowl where you have to socialize with everyone you work with).
- A small to mid sized school is ideal for us and we don't care if the school is for profit or non-profit.
- Culture shock is not an issue and we don't need a school that holds our hands.
- Climate is important to us: we like warm weather!

Now, that is our IDEAL. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks for any advice we can get...
JISAlum

Good luck

Post by JISAlum »

Sounds like some good criteria, but good luck in finding it and then getting an offer.

I'd suggest one of the 'smaller' Indonesian schools; Bandung or Surabaya come to mind. Bandung would be my choice as I spent my childhood up in the Puncak nearby- but it is higher in altitude, although still warm. Get's good reviews on ISR.

Indonesians are incredible and the culture outstanding.
martijem

Post by martijem »

How small are the Indonesian schools? I would also prefer a small school. I think living in a large city would present more culture shock for my family than living in a new country. Anyone worked in a small, safe, child-friendly area?