What to bring?

mat4020

What to bring?

Post by mat4020 »

So, I took a job at a school in China and I could really use some help on what to bring with me.

A little background… this is my first international teaching experience. I "paid my dues" at a public school in Florida for 2 years and I'm ready to move on. I'm a young guy with not much stuff, but I have no idea what to take to China. My school provides a 500 USD shipping allowance, but I don't know how I should ship the stuff (extra baggage on the flight, UPS, an actual ship, etc.).

So, I guess my primary questions are:

What did you leave behind and really wish you would have taken?

What did you take, but really had no use for?

How did you get your stuff overseas?

I know everyone is going to be a little different, but I just wanted a few ideas to get started.

Thanks,

Matt
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Congrats on the job! I, too, will be moving overseas for my first international experience and am anxious to see what responses you get on here. I will be headed to St. Petersburg, Russia.
Open Communication

some information for you

Post by Open Communication »

Which school in China? I am looking at some too.

Here a things to think about:
1. put all your electronic material on a portable hard drive.
2. ask what units and subjects you will teach and get as much stuff free from home to bring with you.
3. check weather for the year and bring what you need.
4. bring non-iron pants and shirts. i find the shirts still need a little iron but the pants are fine without.
5. whatever you need to get you through the day in the USA: hair gel, shaving, a little of your special food you like.
6. something for music including radio so you don't get totally bored.
7. the good news is that whatever you can't bring or buy there you can get from eBay, amazon.com, or other websites especially if you have a paypal account.
8. your favourite and inspiring 'feel good' book.
9. a good knapsac or brief case for work
10. bring ear plugs and i like the ear headset contruction workers use to block out noise quickly. fast to put on and off, people just think youre listening to music.
11. remember saline solution, sun glasses
12. keep all emails received from school
13. print out a map of your local area and things to do where to buy, etc.

Thats just a start.
mat4020

Post by mat4020 »

Wow, great list Open Communication... it has helped get the ideas flowing.

I'll be at Zhuhai International School in Zhuhai, China (just outside of Hong Kong).

Keep the ideas coming!
adminpaul

Shipping your Stuff

Post by adminpaul »

You might like to check out our article about shipping your stuff overseas.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... ipping.htm
Green

Post by Green »

After living abroad for a while, I'd like to add to Open Communication's list.

1. Bedding!!!! I really appreciate a good set of sheets (high thread count), bed pad and egg crates for the bed. I bought queen size and this makes a hard Asian bed into a nice comfey one.

2. Bathroom items. If you have a favorite brand, buy a six month supply.

3. For me the most important, FOOD!! You will at times crave a certain cuisine or food you can't find at a resaurant. No matter where in the world you end up, you will have access to most of the raw ingredients that you will need to make ANY food you want. I highly recommend to anyone that they learn how to cook their favorite foods from scratch. For instance, I now make from scratch the following; Cakes, Pies, Pastas, Pizzas, Mexican Tortillas, Peanut Butter, Sauces, BBQ, Salsas, Great Salads, Beer, and Sausage for starters. Before I came on the circuit I ate out all the time and could barely fry an egg. Now I have learned to cook what I really enjoy and it is just as good and much cheaper than dining out.

4. A sense of humor!! Things will go wrong, people will try to scam you, you may not get your way. Take it all in stride and laugh whenever you can. You will have a much better experience if you can smile.

Good luck to all you new international teachers out there.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Living just outside of Hong Kong probably ensures that you will be able to find almost anything you need. There are plenty of Carrefours, Tescos, Metros, Pines, City Shops and others that carry a wide variety of western goods. The question then becomes, "how much do you want to pay?"

I would bring packages of premixed spices, like Taco Seasoning etc, I would bring footwear and jeans for a year, I would make sure I have enough reading material to get me through a month or two, bring a thinsulate sleeping mat to carry with you on trips in China because the beds are hard as rock, bring US postage stamps so you can have other people traveling to the US mail things for you like pay cheques, bring some passport photos with you, . I wouldn't count on being able to order things from Amazon, its expensive and it may or may not get here. Electronics are not necessarily cheap here so come prepared.

Good luck
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

Bring stuff so you can contact home easily: webcam and mic/headset, check out if you can use your home cellphone, get a Skype account.
Be prepared for no resources at your school so have lots of stuff: educational DVDs, fun DVDs, CDS for class work time: enya, sinatra, Jack Johnson, or check out streaming music: GrooveSalad. Get programs to make good fast worksheets and interesting stuff for the kids.
Wneh you get there make local Chinese friends to help you out. Check out the forums of other websites for expats, things to do, clubs, etc.
You'll love it.