newbie career-changer with questions

bedu teacher

newbie career-changer with questions

Post by bedu teacher »

I'm currently doing a master's in elementary ed to gain certification to teach in NY state (where we're posted for a couple years). I have over a decade of international living experience and a few years ESL teaching experience (with adults).

I am a "trailing spouse" - how difficult can I expect it to be to find employment? I will be contacting only the schools in the country to which my husband is assigned. I have 2 kids and would hope to find some sort of partial tuition relief (is that wishful thinking?), but other benefits (housing, insurance, etc) are not an issue.

Will my lack of elementary experience be a huge obstacle? Will I be seen as a "local hire" with lower pay and no tuition benefits? Are there certain countries/ regions where a person in my situation may do better? Europe comes to mind because they don't seem as likely to offer the housing, etc.

Thank you for any and all advice!
JISAlum

local hire

Post by JISAlum »

If you'll be transferring over prior to getting your teaching certificate, then you'll have a hard time IMHO.

However once you get a certificate you'll be more marketable. If hired locally, you'll be a local hire.

I'd suggest that once you get over there, get involved with the school. Become a volunteer and sub. Maybe even a maternity sub. Make your availability known. If the school is a bigger one, then there might be a few late openings you'd be considered for. The large schools I worked at all had local hire trailing-spouses. They were the 'utility infielders to use a baseball -, of the staff. They were used to plug holes when needed.

I'd expect that tuition will not be offered- but that's a guess. I think the bigger the school, the higher the turnover and the more need the larger the opportunity for you.
bedu teacher

Post by bedu teacher »

Thanks for the advice JISAlum!

I will definately do my best to make myself available once we are in country.

I was hoping though to make contact, and perhaps even land an offer, before arriving. In the case of our next post, I know it will be my husband's home country and can make contact with the appropriate schools when I'm closer to finishing my degree.

If I had a few years' experience under my belt - do you think I would be competitive as a foreign hire or is that totally out of the question?

To be clear - I am a trailing spouse, but my husband's benefit pkg (small, non-western country) is rather modest - I am hoping to contribute with a decent salary or perhaps more importantly tuition benefits for our kids.
JISAlum

not sure

Post by JISAlum »

What defines a local hire and what defines an overseas one probably is determined by the Supt- but in your case, unless you were hired at a fair, you'd be local I'd suspect. Your 'profile' so to speak says local hire- with limited benefits at all.

Even if you were hired overseas, how would the school see your husband and dependents? A single overseas hire with two or more dependents is a stretch. Plus you're looking at teaching in a specific location.

IMHO your best bet it to make contact now with the schools where your husband will be stationed. Offer your services and see what happens. Perhaps they'll offer you a contract...

[quote="bedu teacher"]Thanks for the advice JISAlum!

I will definately do my best to make myself available once we are in country.

I was hoping though to make contact, and perhaps even land an offer, before arriving. In the case of our next post, I know it will be my husband's home country and can make contact with the appropriate schools when I'm closer to finishing my degree.

If I had a few years' experience under my belt - do you think I would be competitive as a foreign hire or is that totally out of the question?

To be clear - I am a trailing spouse, but my husband's benefit pkg (small, non-western country) is rather modest - I am hoping to contribute with a decent salary or perhaps more importantly tuition benefits for our kids.[/quote]
bedu teacher

Post by bedu teacher »

Yes, I see what you are saying JISAlum, I probably wouldn't go to or be hired from a fair given my limitations.

But, as to how they would see my husband and kids - why would they have to be dependents at all? They have no need for airfare, insurance, visas, housing, etc. I would essentially be a single with no dependents (with the exception of possible tuition discount) and no need for any of that myself... not a bad deal I would think?

I have identified two schools in our next post - one international that pays local hires and foreign the same salary, but benefits differ. Another national school that pays foreign hires double that of local hires, but gives the same tuition discount to both. The national school defined expatriate hires as "those hired outside of ... or already in country on an existing expatriate package." Don't know if that is typical, but I think it would define my situation.

Thanks again for the advice!
Molson

Post by Molson »

Perhaps if you gave a hint of the country in question that could help as well.

If your husband was being sent to Asia for example, quite a few schools don't have a local vs overseas package.

I don't think your lack of experience though is something that can hurt. At my current school in China we've had wives of expats work there. I won't speak for the quality of their teaching, but they were able to get jobs as holes needed to be filled and it was cheaper for the school.
bedu teacher

Post by bedu teacher »

Thanks for your input Molson. Our next post will likely be in the Middle East, after that no idea. Interesting that some schools in Asia don't distinguish between local and foreign hire. Seems more fair - assuming similar qualifications.
the Hippo

Local and "expat" hires

Post by the Hippo »

Having taught in Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, Qatar and now the UAE, I would say that the pattern for hiring "local" and "expat" teachers is pretty much the same wherever you go. Even if you are already in the country, you will most probably be hired as an "expat" or "foreign" teacher and therefore you will receive the same benefits as other expat teachers. In the ME, there can sometimes be a bit of haggling and maybe some schools might try to get away with paying you local rates, but you just have to be firm and make sure you get what you want. Of course it would be really helpful if you could tell us where exactly you will be. The Middle East is a big place!