To go or not to go

Lagniappe

To go or not to go

Post by Lagniappe »

. . . that is the question!

The positions opened at the UNI fair that I would qualify for have dwindled to three. It looks really good on the website, but when you check on the school websites, most of the positions have already been filled - it seems the schools don't always update the openings on the recruiting websites.

So I'm wondering if it's even worth going now. Any insights?
JISAlum

Not going

Post by JISAlum »

I've decided not to go as the opening I was looking at seemed to go in Bangkok. While I know positions open up at the fair, it is discouraging to see good positions go before you get a chance.

I'm targeting either Search or ISS in Bangkok next year- even though I'm in Chicago and really prefer the UNI experience.
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

Hi JIS,

You know I went to JIS as a kid when it was known as Joint Embassy School - I loved it there!

It seems that the UNI fair is a much more pleasant experience than others - I've been to Search and AASSA and they were okay but nothing to jump up and down about.

I've contacted UNI to see if they can tell me if there are any further positions opened right before the fair. I've already bought my ticket, so I might just go and mingle anyway.

I'm now trying to get last minute registration for the COIS/ISS fair. Do you know anything about that one?

Thanks!
JISAlum

JES

Post by JISAlum »

I started in 1974- when it was JES. In 76 it became JIS I think- can't remember. I was there when Dr. Widel was Supt, through 1984. Did summer school at Patimura. Lived 2 blocks from Block M for a year- then moved to Cilandak. If your interested, many JES alum's are on Facebook- a number of user groups that are very active.

Don't know much about ISS though. I think UNI is most teacher friendly. ISS/Search seems to be more admin friendly. I've had numerous contact with UNI and they are both approachable, teacher centric and very accommodating.

Good luck at UNI, and please fill us in on the opportunities.
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

Then I think we might know each other - also there in 1974, but left in 1976 when Elnusa Nusantara from Petromina started to bail on the employees. Was in Ms. Rach's sixth grade class and don't remember seventh grade too much. Lived in Cilandak, too. I distinctly remember running like blazes from the neighbourhood water buffalo.

Small world - PM me if you'd like.

Have decided to go to the UNI fair - there was a new posting for a position today, so I should at least give it a whirl. They do seem to be much more 'human' than Search - don't know about ISS.

Thanks for the info and reply. Will keep you posted.