Carney, Sandhoe & Associates

samuraiwriter

Carney, Sandhoe & Associates

Post by samuraiwriter »

Does anyone have any info about the above agency? I am coming back to the US after a 4 year stint overseas and I cannot seem to get a return email from this group after I submitted my application. It has been over 3 weeks, a couple of emails, and zilch.

*Anyone know of another good agency I can work with for placement back in the US?
akoliska

Post by akoliska »

I live in Boston and know a few people who found jobs via Carney S. (their main office is here, so lots of teachers know of them in the area). However, I heard rumors that Carney cancelled some hiring fairs because less schools are willing to pay for a table at the fairs--the job market is so bad that schools don't really need to pay to recruit. My current school has not gone to the Carney fair in years because, as my principal said, "I get resumes from unemployed teachers every week even though we don't have any openings at all." I also know from friends who worked with them in the past that Carney is not very well-organized, so they may well contact you eventually.

I have no idea if the rumors about the fair cancellations were true, but it sounds reasonable. The job market is really, really bad here, and I have a few friends who are working as TAs because they were laid off. My own school laid people off last year, and will probably do so again this year.

It infuriates me when non-teacher friends say things like, "Well, you don't have to worry because Obama saved all those jobs in education." Which jobs were saved, exactly? Possibly administrative jobs (I don't know), but I do know a lot of teachers at many types of schools here, and the situation isn't good at any of them. Both private and public schools have been "tightening their belts" here.

On the other hand, I keep seeing adverts on craigslist from recruiting agencies who are trying to get teachers to go to California, so maybe the job market on the West Coast is better.

Can I ask why you are returning to the US? (I'm trying to get back into the International circuit myself).
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

Thanks for your reply. Sounds about right. Everyone I talk to is like, "there are no jobs, stay where you are, at least you have a job." Unfortunately, I work in Turkey and while it is a lovely country, I have got to get out of here. 4 years have passed. Parents have aged, gotten sick, grandparents died, brothers have had babies, friends married and divorced. You get the picture! Missing home in combination with Turkish school burn out makes it impossible to deny: I've got to get home. Roll the dice, see what's up. We have some savings, the house market in our area is super attractive, so we'll give it a shot.