A question about your school's counselor

maghrebi

A question about your school's counselor

Post by maghrebi »

I have 3 years overseas in IB. My wife is certified as an Elem/MS school counselor and we are going back into the hiring pool. We're hearing rumours that school's are wanting school psych's instead.

Quick question - Is your school's counselor (elementary or middle school) also a certified school psychologist?

Secondary question - if no school psych, how do you handle testing for special needs, ED, and other?
johnwest

school counselor

Post by johnwest »

As they are private operations, my schools have partially solved the problem of special needs kids by not accepting them (Mm-hmm...). That reply may bring on a firestorm...
maghrebi

Post by maghrebi »

even if you accept no special needs kids, is your counselor also a licensed school psychologist?

And do you test kids in elementary for entry?
johnwest

admissions testing

Post by johnwest »

The ESL teachers or coordinator usually administer the test here. I do not know if the current counselor is a certified psych as he just arrived. I have been at schools in which I was the one to adminster the admissions test. I am neither an ESL teacher nor a counselor. Does everyone else admit special needs kids? Who tests if so?